Missionaries & Mobiles

Missionaries Mobiles - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 2nd Nov, 2009 - 10:01pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Using cellular phones
Post Date: 20th Oct, 2009 - 9:10pm / Post ID: #

Missionaries & Mobiles

Missionaries & Mobiles

Are Mormon Missionaries allowed to use cellular phones as part of their daily routine?

Sponsored Links:
1st Nov, 2009 - 12:57am / Post ID: #

Mobiles and Missionaries

I know in some areas missionaries are allowed cell phones, however I think there are two main reasons that the Church has said in effect, no cell phones for missionaries, one is the expense, there is roughly 55,000 missionaries, going two by two there would be one cell phone per pair, that would be roughly 27,500 cell phones, and depending on whether or not the missionaries would keep the home phone, it would cost up to if not exceed $100 per month on just the phone bill, per missionary compaionship.

The second main reason that the Church has in effect said no to cell phones to missionaries is trust, trust that the missionaries would not call their parents at home.

On a similar topic, I"ve heard that missionaries are now allowed to use e-mail, when I was on my mission, the Mission President wouldn't allow e-mail since he didn't want "letters" to family turn into chats.

I feel cell phones would be a great asset for missionaries, members and investigators can contact them faster, the Mission President can text the missionaries, names and addresses of people that ordered the Book of Mormon. Since the missionaries hardly ever use their home phone, the missionaries could take out the home phone. If the missionaries are going to call a lot of people, to make appointments, they could do it at the same house that lets them use their internet for e-mail.

2nd Nov, 2009 - 5:54am / Post ID: #

Missionaries & Mobiles Studies Doctrine Mormon

As far as I know Cell phones are becoming more and more common in the Mission field. They are taking out home phones and doing all cell phones.

I don't think Long Distance is a problem, because as before you had to have a calling card to call Long Distance (or collect) . So Cell phones could still be limited to the local area.

It makes it easyer for missionaries to keep in touch with everybody they have to talk.

As far as e-mail (which wasn't your question). The church had there own lds e-mail for missionaries to try to stop spam. But I guess most missionaries ended up using there own personal one anyways. I don't think it has become some chat with home. Just makes it quicker (mostly for over seas) to get messages home.

2nd Nov, 2009 - 10:01pm / Post ID: #

Mobiles and Missionaries

I understand the need for cell phones but I think is a bit of a risk with missionaries, they're young and some of them may use it for the wrong reasons.

> TOPIC: Missionaries & Mobiles

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,