Very Weighty Responsibility

Very Weighty Responsibility - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 28th Oct, 2009 - 3:07pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Mormon History
Post Date: 28th Oct, 2009 - 3:07pm / Post ID: #

Mormon History Related

"When I study the scriptures and history, I find my interest being focused on the organization of events, the chemistry and human relationships of the individuals involved, and I marvel at the evidence of the Lord's hands in the events that occur."I have always been intrigued with the account of the coming forth of the Book of Mormon. I have tried to place myself many times in the position of the young Prophet Joseph Smith as this very weighty responsibility fell on his shoulders. At the time he received the plates for translation, he was still a new bridegroom, having been married just a few days over eight months. To complicate his life, his father-in-law had not been too happy about the marriage. In this situation the Prophet was entrusted with this very valuable record, which had not been given to a mortal for over 1,400 years. Just protecting the plates from the curious and from treasure seekers was a challenge in itself. Almost driven from his home near Palmyra, New York, he traveled to Harmony, Pennsylvania, his wife Emma's hometown, where he hoped he could begin the translation. Within three months of receiving the plates, he was finally settled in his own home, where he could work in some peace."Between December 1827 and February 1828, he spent considerable time becoming familiar with the language of the plates and learning how to translate."
-- L. Tom Perry, "By the Hands of His Prophets," Ensign, Aug. 1998, 49

Sponsored Links:

> TOPIC: Very Weighty Responsibility

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,