Not Shooter, But Gun Maker is Responsible - Page 3 of 7

Like I said, the world is getting crazier - Page 3 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 3rd Apr, 2003 - 12:59pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Not Shooter, But Gun Maker is Responsible Related Information to Not Shooter, But Gun Maker is Responsible
Post Date: 2nd Apr, 2003 - 10:52am / Post ID: #

Not Shooter, But Gun Maker is Responsible
A Friend

Not Shooter, But Gun Maker is Responsible - Page 3

Yes, they are inadequate.
Although I am a staunch defender of the right to bear arms, the cold, hard facts are that we are a country of over 200 million people, many of whom are convicted felons; murderers, armed robbers, sex offenders, etc.

We also have our share of psychos, nuts and other assorted loonies.

Not to mention illegal immigrants from Mexico, Iraq, Iran, Saudia Arabia, Lebanon, Jordan and various other places around the world.

Need I say more?

Yes, I believe we need a background check before selling firearms. It's no big deal, would not cause any undue inconvenience- if you're a law-abiding citizen.

However there is a contingent (NRA) in this country that live with Orwellian visions of "Big Brother", and they choose stupidity over prudence.

(aren't you glad I'm so hesitant to voice my opinion?)

Sponsored Links:
2nd Apr, 2003 - 11:14pm / Post ID: #

Responsible Maker Gun Shooter Not

That's very interesting Stranger. Now, what's the main reason for not having more control over who can owe a gun? I mean, we are talking about a pretty serious issue in here. The other thing I was going to ask you is that you mentioned before that the US police don't get much money, how much a police officer get per hour?.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 3rd Apr, 2003 - 12:32am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Not Shooter, But Gun Maker is Responsible History & Civil Business Politics

And that thing about hunting has nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment. That is balderdash and has nothing to do with it.

Stranger, it was meant to be funny and sarcastic at the same time. The right of the bears to also have a rifle to shoot it out with the hunters. Get it? wink.gif

Post Date: 3rd Apr, 2003 - 12:41am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 3 Responsible Maker Gun Shooter Not

LDS, you should see the kind of guns you can buy off the counter at GI Joes. I was amazed at the many different types. And the salesperson would also tell you which are collector items. Scary thought of people owning more than one gun ... a collection!?

The police in US or probably all modern police force, are now equipped with handguns that come with magazines of 20-over bullets. I don't know, maybe Stranger know more in this area. In the heat of the moment they can easily pump off enough shots before they realize they have riddle the guy with some nasty holes. :[

3rd Apr, 2003 - 10:18am / Post ID: #

Responsible Maker Gun Shooter Not

[quote]The police in US or probably all modern police force, are now equipped with handguns that come with magazines of 20-over bullets. [/quote]
Remember that the criminal element of today are not common street thugs, they are smart, para-military types that use top grade illegal weapons to carry out the work. Every cop wants to go home to his family in peace at the end of the day, so I do not doubt why they want better fire power.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3224 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 3rd Apr, 2003 - 11:24am / Post ID: #

A Friend

[quote]

Stranger, it was meant to be funny and sarcastic at the same time. The right of the bears to also have a rifle to shoot it out with the hunters. Get it? wink.gif[/quote]

That wasn't directed at you, Fireduck.
The NRA and other gun lobby groups actually use that as an argument, which is invalid, silly and makes to those of us who are serious look like fools.

The issue of weaponry is only a small part of our problem here. Buying weapons is easy. Putting them in the hands of level-headed, qualified professionals who know how to conduct a criminal investigation is the problem.

As for LDS' question about pay scales, it varies, but to give you some idea, in most cities with limited budgets, about 3 to MAYBE 4 times what a high school kid makes working at McDonald's. What does that tell you?

As for LDS' question about why there isn't more control, the gun lobby is one of the most powerful in Washington, has some of the wealthiest people in the country as supporters, enjoys vast support all over the country.

The majority of people in America don't want gun control (including yours truly) and have an innate, long-held distrust of both governments in general and our government in particular.

You think you guys in Europe lambast our government? Come over here and see how we give them a hard time.

As I mentioned earlier, there lingers on the edge of our consciousness, visions of George Orwell's 1984, with "Big Brother" looming on the horizon. Look at movies like The Matrix and you see that same theme.

We are a fiercely independant people, and will not surrender our personal autonomy to anyone, including our own government. (Look at my avatar. The old Celtic warrior. Those people are our root stock. It's in our blood to hate governments)

That leads us to make some decisions that are not in our best interests at times.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
3rd Apr, 2003 - 12:51pm / Post ID: #

Not Shooter Gun Maker Responsible - Page 3

The majority of people in America don't want gun control (including yours truly) and have an innate, long-held distrust of both governments in general and our government in particular.

:o Really? Would have never of guessed.

We are a fiercely independent people, and will not surrender our personal autonomy to anyone, including our own government. (Look at my avatar. The old Celtic warrior. Those people are our root stock. It's in our blood to hate governments)

Actually, I thought you would have selected the soldier, USA, or moving gun avatar wink.gif

I often wonder if it is right to allow citizens to have guns. In Trinidad, citizens are not allowed to have guns save you are a business owner or something like that. This leaves us to be 'open' like the African countries, where when there is civil unrest, the Army can take over at anytime. Then again there is so much US/UK interest here that we are like Iraq (get out of hand and the US/UK will be down your throat).

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3224 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 3rd Apr, 2003 - 12:59pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Not Shooter Gun Maker Responsible Politics Business Civil & History - Page 3

Like I said, the world is getting crazier by the day. Do you know that common criminals (robbers of banks and jewellery shops) here in Malaysia now carry M-16 or AK47s? And Malaysia is one place where all kinds of guns are strictly controlled and the public in general cannot have access to any.

Yet these violent crimes are committed everyday. Yes, you cannot really stop them from getting them illegally. And yes, I do agree that the police themselves must be appropriately armed. Guns are bad stuff whichever way you look at it.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

> TOPIC: Not Shooter, But Gun Maker is Responsible

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,