Mormon Gospel Principles: Back To Basics

Mormon Gospel Principles Basics - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 10th Jul, 2012 - 12:24am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

8th Nov, 2009 - 5:14pm / Post ID: #

Some years ago, I mentioned in one of the threads the decision of one of the Apostles to let the members in [certain countries] have a joint meeting with investigators and new members (along with the older members) and study from the Gospel Principles manual instead of the other books that the rest of the world study in Sunday School.

But today I saw an announcement in lds.org which states:

international QUOTE
The Gospel Principles manual contains information on 47 core principles of the gospel for personal study and teaching. In 2010 and 2011, this manual will be used in Melchizedek Priesthood and Relief Society classes, as well as the Gospel Principles class for investigators and new members.The manual is available online in multiple media formats.

Source 7

Thoughts?

What it is not clear is which book will they use for Gospel Principles class for those who are NOT new members. Do we assume will also be the same manual?

I forgot to clarify that the Gospel Principles manual is the updated version. I haven't corroborate the following information but apparently, there has been several changes such as the new edition reportedly downplays or eliminates some teachings such as whether or not faithful members can become gods, if God was always a god, mother in heaven, and whether or not the organization of the Church is complete.

Sponsored Links:
8th Nov, 2009 - 5:45pm / Post ID: #

Basics To Principles Gospel Mormon

The Church is trying to hide rather than explain many truths that make the Church peculiar and they are instead pushing a secular front so everything looks 'normal'. Why do I have the feeling this will backfire since someone for instance will realize eventually that the Church does 'believe' in attaining godhood, etc.

9th Nov, 2009 - 2:12pm / Post ID: #

Mormon Gospel Principles: Back To Basics Studies Doctrine Mormon

I just downloaded the new Gospel Principles manual. In the section on exaltation, it does say that those who attain exaltation will be gods. That section is the same in both the old and new manuals.

I suspect that the Gospel Doctrine classes will continue on the 4-year cycle that it has been on for several years. Not that it really delves much deeper than the Gospel Principles class, but you do get more background, discussion of historical events, etc.

I don't know whether there is any cover up involved, at least not anymore than has been going on for several decades. But I do agree that a large percentage of the membership don't have a good, solid foundation of the basics.

9th Nov, 2009 - 5:36pm / Post ID: #

Well, if they have not changed those things then it is OK I guess, for a moment there I had to wonder what the Church is trying to accomplish by essentially hiding some of our core beliefs.

11th Nov, 2009 - 1:32am / Post ID: #

I read the last chapter and I did not see where it says we will become gods (not in those exact words). I kind of compared the two yesterday and some of the changes I saw:

1. In the old manual, it stated that Satan was our brother. In the new one, it was completely removed.

2. They removed the part that says Adam and Eve are the parents of the human race and replaced it with "first parents".

3. Satan had introduced evil into the world was removed.

4. In the old manual the Holy Ghost was referred as a spirit that has the form and likeness of a man but now is replaced with "personage of Spirit".

5. In the old manual stated that the true Church must be built upon the foundation of prophets and they replaced it with "built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone".

6. In the old manual stated that all of the offices and functions of the Church in the days of Jesus are present in the Church today but it was removed.

7. In the chapter on Exaltation and the things needed to obtain it, in the old manual used to list as additional things: Keep the commandments, Live the law of chastity, Pay honest tithes and offerings, Be honest in our dealings with others and with the Lord, Speak the truth always, Obey the Word of Wisdom, Keep the Sabbath day holy, Honor our parents. They left Keep the commandments and the rest was removed.

There are many more changes, these are just a few.

9th Jul, 2012 - 3:55pm / Post ID: #

I personally think that the percentage of members in the church that know about the Gospel Principles well enough that they could teach it is very small and with the church expanding in foreign countries it makes sense to emphasize the basic beliefs.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
10th Jul, 2012 - 12:24am / Post ID: #

Mormon Gospel Principles To Basics

The Church is expanding, there are serious problems with retention so it really makes sense to keep things at a basic level in order to reach the new members that are basically replacing the ones that are going less active.

> TOPIC: Mormon Gospel Principles: Back To Basics

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,