Mandatory Military Service? - Page 4 of 6

I absolutely agree with Funbikerchick. When - Page 4 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 29th Jul, 2007 - 7:55am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
Post Date: 13th Mar, 2003 - 10:47pm / Post ID: #

Mandatory Military Service?
A Friend

Mandatory Military Service? - Page 4

I always defer to a lady.
In that regard I have an almost infinite patience.

Men however, are on a much shorter leash with me.

Sponsored Links:
13th Mar, 2003 - 11:36pm / Post ID: #

Service Military Mandatory

[quote]I always defer to a lady.
In that regard I have an almost infinite patience. [/quote]

That's a good thing to know! wink.gif

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 1089 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

Post Date: 15th Mar, 2003 - 1:42am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mandatory Military Service? History & Civil Business Politics

Personally, I am 100% against his measure, regardless of what the proposal is. Anytime you hear "mandatory," it means you have to do it.

I'll write a more detailed reason later...but basically from what I read in the story, my interpretation of this bill is that Rangel, how purposefully or inadvertantly, is trying to make Americans pawns of his political views...that is, because he didn't get his way by the vote of the Resolution recently passed. And I agree with him on his vote.

[quote]Time for some americans to move to Canada.. very nice overhere and no mandatory service biggrin.gif [/quote]

30th Mar, 2003 - 11:23pm / Post ID: #

Page 4 Service Military Mandatory

[quote]Personally, I am 100% against his measure, regardless of what the proposal is. Anytime you hear "mandatory," it means you have to do it.  [/quote]
Xtra, you rebel you smile.gif

Well I think there are a lot of things you have to do in a nation, for instance you have to pay taxes, etc. If it is at war, I would say that if you were not going to fight you are likely on the enemy's side since that is what they want you to do  - nothing.

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 3224 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 100%

12th Jan, 2005 - 7:01am / Post ID: #

Service Military Mandatory

I have absolutely no problem with a year or two of required service to the government. In a country where we now debate if the Pledge of Allegiance should be legal in schools, I think a great many take the country for granted. "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" - JFK. I know I would gladly give a year or two to remain in my country.

Just a thought,

Vincenzo

International Level: International Guru / Political Participation: 863 ActivistPoliticianInternational Guru 86.3%

12th Jan, 2005 - 11:55am / Post ID: #

I can't believe I haven't responded to this topic before! laugh.gif

I believe a mandatory two year enlistment right out of high school...no college deferments...would be excellent. It would do a few things which I consider of great benefit.

First, it would allow the necessary time to train a large force of military members that could be called upon when needed in time of war with very little down time for training. All they would need is refresher and processing.

Second, it would give young kids some time out of school in the real world to see what life is all about before spending tens of thousands of dollars per year on a college education that they might not use because at 18 they are so unlikely to really know what they want to do with their lives.

Third, it will definately help these young people to mature more quickly which will help them to be better students when they do go to college.

Finally, the best thing I think it does, is help people appreciate more, what it takes to keep a country "free." Too many people take their freedom for granted. Freedom is not free, but for many it has been for what I think is far too long. In the US, it is mostly lower income families fighting to keep this country "free" for upper income families who would never even think of socializing with the average soldier, never mind send their children to fight along side one.

This is, of course, all just my opinion, but I am a veteran of the United States Marine Corps, so I feel I have done my part in the past. I think more should do theirs.

While I think two years is optimal, I think even one year would be beneficial. If you are truly a concientious objector, there can even be a non-combat role for them.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 12th Jan, 2005 - 11:58am

International Level: Diplomat / Political Participation: 320 ActivistPoliticianDiplomat 32%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 13th Jan, 2005 - 9:53am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mandatory Military Service - Page 4

In my country is mandatory but the debate is now to change this. Elderly people are all for mandatory ( in my country ) but the international pressure is agains it. In 2-3 years the army will be mandatory no more but the thing is I really do not know if that is a good thing or not. As for the USA... as controversy as it may seams the idea is not so bad.

Post Date: 29th Jul, 2007 - 7:55am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mandatory Military Service Politics Business Civil & History - Page 4

I absolutely agree with Funbikerchick. When I first heard about mandatory military service I thought it was a great idea. More people should see, and be involved in, what it takes to make a country free.

With the world heating up like it has recently I think it would be a good thing to have more people who are trained to handle combat. I don't see things getting better anytime soon.

Funbikerchick's second comment is also totally true. After completing my service I went to college, and was completely disgusted with the younger kids that were dropping tens of thousands of dollars on an education that meant nothing to them. Time in service offers many good things in addition to combat training. Respect for authority, discipline, and pride in your country to name just a few.

Also, the military will teach you how to handle yourself in an emergency, or under pressure. I can't tell you how many times I have drawn on my military experience to handle a stressful situation.

I know very few veterans that are unhappy with their time in service. Two years would be the perfect amount of time. It would allow for some training, and then some hands on experience.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Mandatory Military Service?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,