Mandatory Military Service? - Page 5 of 6

QUOTE (KNtoran @ 18-Apr 08, 11:48 AM) If they - Page 5 - Politics, Business, Civil, History - Posted: 18th Apr, 2008 - 11:47pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 
30th Jul, 2007 - 9:57pm / Post ID: #

Mandatory Military Service? - Page 5

The main reason for the Military in any country is to defend the country. That country should do it the most efficient and best way possible. With this in mind I believe that Mandatory Military Service at this time is not in the best interest in a country like the USA.

The Military is a unit that works best when it is cohesive. When brothers (and now sisters) in arms are united in defending his country then they work as one. A person who goes into the Military for the right reasons (desire to serve country, love of fellow citizens, desire to become a better man.) then that man will lift up the military. When a man is forced into service and he hates what he is doing then the Military will tear him down and he is less effective.

When there are larger conflicts similar to WW2, then conscription may be the only possible solution.Consider the amount of deaths in that conflict. There were about 400,000 American deaths by most counts. In this current conflict there has been about 3600 deaths as of June. I see no reason to conscript unless victory in this War can only be achieved through sending triple to quadruple the amount of soldiers that we now have.

International Level: Politician / Political Participation: 109 ActivistPoliticianPolitician 10.9%

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 13th Aug, 2007 - 6:00pm / Post ID: #

Mandatory Military Service?
A Friend

Service Military Mandatory

I think it has its pros and cons...

On one hand, you've got something that will keep the idle men on the streets busy and train them physically and mentally. The discipline they get will definitely help them later in their life.

But, on the other hand, these days the no of wars we fight is much less than what happened during the early 20th century. That time, it was a necessity, so they made it mandatory. Right now, it will just overburden the economy of any country where it is made mandatory.

17th Apr, 2008 - 1:50pm / Post ID: #

Mandatory Military Service? History & Civil Business Politics

vincenzo

I have absolutely no problem with a year or two of required service to the government. In a country where we now debate if the Pledge of Allegiance should be legal in schools, I think a great many take the country for granted. "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" - JFK. I know I would gladly give a year or two to remain in my country.

You are absolutely right on this. In Canada we used to sing god save our queen and the national another. When I left high school they both had been removed.

I think serving your country does help to build a bond with it and that builds better inner moral in the person about where they live.

I do agree mandatory military service some where between 6 months to two years is not completely evil and can help many get their heads straight. I have two uncles who were placed underage into service due to getting in trouble with the law. My grandmother was the one who asked to have them enlisted for 12 months. Both served over 10 years one became a Doctor compliments of our Navy. Bother served in Vietnam proudly.

I am very glad both came back as I love them dearly and find much of their advice very sound. Both agree it was their service that straighten them out. Yes they were severely disciplined when they started one has a scar to prove it does work.

International Level: Senior Politician / Political Participation: 188 ActivistPoliticianSenior Politician 18.8%

Post Date: 17th Apr, 2008 - 3:13pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 5 Service Military Mandatory

It is my belief that every able bodied 18 year old serve at least two years of military service right out of high school before they can go to college. It will help the country out in any time of war. If the country is not in war it will help the kids grow up and see that there is life worth living for and give them more of a sence of pride.

While others may not like the idea and say it promotes violence I disagree. I think that the sence of teamwork and develpoment of the team based military service they can further see that it takes a team to get things done if you want good results. This will help them in their career path by showing them that as a team you either sink or swim. Too many kids nowadays think of just themselves and could care less about the others. We need to change this way of thinking.

But again that is just the opinion of a combat veteran.

17th Apr, 2008 - 5:48pm / Post ID: #

Service Military Mandatory

How about compulsary reserve service? THis means that they will spend less time on the front line (not many people like the idea of being forced to serve on the front line) but instills in them all the goodness of being a member of an armed force; teamwork, discipline, smartness, respect etc...

Plus should the country need more servicement, they instantly have a pool of trained reserves.

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 1 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0.1%

17th Apr, 2008 - 7:20pm / Post ID: #

I prefer to be worrying about which college I'm going to attend rather than which branch of the military wants to send me to boot camp!

International Level: New Activist / Political Participation: 18 ActivistPoliticianNew Activist 1.8%

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 18th Apr, 2008 - 4:48pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mandatory Military Service - Page 5

If they want to go into the reserves then that is fine but that would require a 6 year commitment instead of the two years. The reason for this is two years of serving in the active military is about equal to six years in the reserves. I have no problem with people rather chosing the reserves instead of the active services.

18th Apr, 2008 - 11:47pm / Post ID: #

Mandatory Military Service Politics Business Civil & History - Page 5

QUOTE (KNtoran @ 18-Apr 08, 11:48 AM)
If they want to go into the reserves then that is fine but that would require a 6 year commitment instead of the two years.

That sounds reasonable enough. If service was compulsary that would be my choice (obviously given that its what I wanted anyway) I would much rather get on with University and the great big job hunt; there's nothing to stop you from serving as a reservist alongside these things though!

International Level: Politics 101 / Political Participation: 1 ActivistPoliticianPolitics 101 0.1%

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Mandatory Military Service?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,