Apostle - Page 2 of 2

That's an interesting quote Oldsouth - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 14th Feb, 2010 - 2:25am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
Apostles of the Early Christianity, Early Church and Modern Day
1st Feb, 2010 - 5:11pm / Post ID: #

Apostle - Page 2

international QUOTE (tubaloth @ 30-Jan 10, 3:54 PM)
Do you not remember Elder Oaks, and Elder Holland Going to South America and the Philippians for two years.   Now this wasn't as much as preaching (even though that was part of it) it was more for training and strengthening the church in those areas. 

You said it bro, it wasn't preaching but it was to "strengthen" in certain areas of course staying in nice hotels and being drive everywhere now before you say something about it I am merely pointing out these differences with the purpose of stating the living conditions of Jesus and His apostles at the time he was on Earth and the way our GA live nowdays you know what am I saying? Jesus had the chance to have it all yet he was born and lived in the most humble of the circumstances....BY CHOICE. We can't say the same thing of our present GA.

international QUOTE

I don't see that being much different then the early church.  God choose those those that are humble and teachable.   It shows not just fishmen are that way, but even Doctors and Lawyers. 

You don't see a difference between how Christ lived and how our present GA live? Wow.

Reconcile Edited: SuzieSu on 1st Feb, 2010 - 5:13pm

Sponsored Links:
1st Feb, 2010 - 5:16pm / Post ID: #

Apostle

The point I was trying to make is the difference aren't as big as you were explaining. If anything the differences had to do with the Size of the church. Which I guess is what the original post was trying to make in the first place.

Meaning the size of the church dictates how its going to run. For me I don't really see these as differences, but as growing or adaptation to the situation. I mean I can compare how my ward changes every 10 years?

More I was pointing out that in some cases the divide isn't as much as Oldsouth lead it to believe.

international QUOTE

4) disagreeing and voicing that opinion is not persecution

Persecution is my mind is trying to put down the other person (name calling). This is what is happening in some forms. Mostly that either such and such isn't apostles inspired of God (persecution against there calling) or that the church isn't Christian because it doesn't allow Gay marriage. This is more then just voicing an opinion, and would be persecution.

international QUOTE

In the early days, every apostle was entitled to a "thus sayeth the Lord" revelation which was binding upon the church, a revelation on new doctrine for example.

I can't say I know of any circumstance where an apostle started preaching a new doctrine BEFORE the Prophet?

The words might be different, but I don't see this being any different then some apostle or Seventy Visiting my stake and given some message. He might not say Thus Sayeth the Lord, but that's was more terminology in the early church.
Again I"m just arguing it's not that big of difference.

international QUOTE

I feel that a vast majority of modern general authorities seem to be rather high ranking members of society, say serving on board-of-directors, being in high paying professions, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It hard to fully label all 12 apostles. Are they will educate yes! Does that always mean they were in some high paying Job, no. Each went a different path, some did make money, some I don't feel was "high paying." I don't see the "vase majority" fitting.

Compared to the early apostles Yes 3-4 of them there fishermen, but one was a tax collector. Judas did something with Money (maybe a banker) others we don't even know what they were. So I don't know if career wise we can make any fair comparison when we don't even know what all the original 12 did.

international QUOTE

7) You agree with the change, but defend it as perfectly normal.

Not sure which one you are referring to with this one.

international QUOTE

Seems like I stirred up something here

Maybe, but I feel you are taking things to the extreme (I guess to make a point), I don't feel the gap is as big as you expressed.

international QUOTE

You don't see a difference between how Christ lived and how our present GA live? Wow.

We are talking about size of the church. if Christ (or Joseph Smith) lived now with the size of the church, You think they would still be walking from place to place? And not even get on an Airplane?

Reconcile Edited: tubaloth on 1st Feb, 2010 - 5:19pm

1st Feb, 2010 - 5:26pm / Post ID: #

Apostle Studies Doctrine Mormon

international QUOTE (tubaloth @ 1-Feb 10, 5:16 PM)
Persecution is my mind is trying to put down the other person (name calling).  This is what is happening in some forms.  Mostly that either such and such isn't apostles inspired of God (persecution against there calling) or that the church isn't Christian because it doesn't allow Gay marriage.  This is more then just voicing an opinion, and would be persecution.

Definitely in your mind! You have the example of JS and the early pioneers moving from state to state, death threats, failed murder attempts and even DEATH and you call name calling and nasty disagreement as persecution? I mean come on more respect you know what am I saying? Thats the kind of difference OldSouth he is referring to. Now if you're telling me the early apostles and the nowdays apostles are going through similar "persecution" after reading the History of the Church then you're in denial or havent read enough.

international QUOTE
  He might not say Thus Sayeth the Lord,  but that's was more terminology in the early church.  
Again I"m just arguing it's not that big of difference.

Maybe OldSouth will bring the quote of JS who states the words should be used. Not a terminology.

international QUOTE

I don't see the "vase majority" fitting.

How many of the Apostles or in any other GA are construction workers, carpenters, electricians..plumbers! How MANY?

international QUOTE
We are talking about size of the church. If Christ (or Joseph Smith) lived now with the size of the church, You think they would still be walking from place to place? And not even get on an Airplane?

Sure but probably NOT first class or their own private jet.

Reconcile Edited: SuzieSu on 1st Feb, 2010 - 5:27pm

Post Date: 2nd Feb, 2010 - 2:18am / Post ID: #

Apostle
A Friend

Page 2 Apostle

international QUOTE (OldSouth)

7) You agree with the change, but defend it as perfectly normal.

the 7 is referring to your 7th comment, which is this one:

international QUOTE (tabuloth)

This is still only recent took affect. Even in the 1970's some of the apostles worked. Its a matter of time. You have to realize the Apostles server on the boards of companies the church owns. Like Deseret Book and BYU. So not only are they running the church with there time, but they also run the church's companies. So even though they might not "work" in the same field as before, they are still working! (Probably way more then you or I).

About the "Thus Sayeth the LORD" issue, yes, I did some digging smile.gif Here we go:

international QUOTE (Joseph Smith @ Teachings Of The Prophet Joseph Smith, comp. Joseph Fielding Smith, p. 136)

If anything should have been suggested by us, or any names mentioned, except by commandment, or thus saith the Lord, we do not consider it binding.

also in Support:

international QUOTE (C.W. Penrose @ MS 54:191)

President Woodruff is a man of wisdom and experience, and we respect him, but we do not believe his personal views or utterances are revelations from God; and when "Thus saith the Lord" comes from him, the Saints investigate it.

I don't know about you, but to me this sounds like "thus saith the Lord" is a pretty big deal. As one can imagine actually. What does it mean to say "thus saith the Lord"? It means that the Lord God of Heaven, very literally and very real spoke to the person relating the words of the most High, literally and verbally conferring His Will in regards to the Saints. I would say there is a fundamental difference between "I talked with the Father in Heaven and He told me that so-and-so" or "I was taken up in a vision by the Lord a week ago where He showed me His will" and "When reading these scriptures last night I had this feeling that I should share this with you today."

Interesting in regards to this change:
international QUOTE (Revelation to Wilford Woodruff @ given January 26th, 1880 at Sunset, Arizona. Unpublished Revelations, 79:78-85)

Although you have one to preside over your quorum and over the Church which is the order of God in all generations, do you not all of you hold the Apostleship, which is the highest authority ever given to man on this earth? You do. 79 Therefore you hold in common the Keys of the Kingdom of God in all the world. 80 Each of you have power to unlock the veil of eternity and hold converse with God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ and to have the ministration of angels. 81 It is your right, privilege and duty to inquire of the Lord as to His mind and will concerning yourselves and the inhabitants of Zion and their interests. 82 And whenever any one of your receives the word of the Lord, let it be written and presented in your councils, 83 And whatever by a united consent you deem wisdom to be presented unto the people, let it be presented by the President, my servant John Taylor, as the word of the Lord. 84 In this way you will uphold him and strengthen his hands, as all the burden should not rest upon one man. 85 For thus saith the Lord, all of mine Apostles should be full of the Holy Ghost, of inspiration, and revelation and know the mind and will of God, and be prepared for that which is to come.

This revelation by the way was given as "thus saith the Lord" and received by Wilford Woodruff, who at that time was still an Apostle.

14th Feb, 2010 - 2:25am / Post ID: #

Apostle

That's an interesting quote Oldsouth but it says it can come by commandment and then the "or" which means that the actual words "Thus saith the Lord..." doesn't have to be used.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Apostle

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,