Dungeons & Dragons Play By Post: How It Works - Page 6 of 12

Guilty! I don't spend enough - Page 6 - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 3rd Feb, 2011 - 11:59pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

22nd September 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Paladin
Paladin
Ranger
Ranger
Fighter
Fighter
Warlock
Warlock
Barbarian
Barbarian
Rogue
Rogue
Cleric
Cleric
Draconian
Draconian
Wizard
Wizard

+  « First of 12 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...Latest (12) »

?
Poll: After considering time, resources and overall role-play, Dungeons & Dragons is best played:
  Around a table where you face each other as it is meant to be       48.65%
  Via some kind of live web cam or interface       2.70%
  Via some chat interface       5.41%
  On a Forum or Bulletin Board like this one       43.24%
  On the computer in a solo game environment       0.00%
  Via snail mail       0.00%
  Other (Explain in your Post)       0.00%
Total Votes: 37
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
How to play Dungeons & Dragons This Thread serves as a GENERAL explanation of how Play By Post works. Each Dungeon Master may have different rules to their specific game.
28th Jan, 2011 - 12:36pm / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons Play By Post: How It Works - Page 6

For the "unofficial" games like the member wars stuff here, it is by the honor system, and it worked fine when I played in it.

Do people fudge or cheat? You'd be naive to think they don't, here and there, but I think people are generally good sports and have some judgment and self-discipline.

People cheat at the table too when the GM and other players aren't looking; sometimes it doesn't even matter, and sometimes the GM "cheats" or fudges, and needs to - sometimes it is the only thing that keeps a character alive, and is necessary.

I'm on a forum that has a built in dice roll for play by posts and it works fine, but there's no huge inherent advantage it has, really. It's quite doable with people just posting their rolls. Yes there is always that question in the back of your mind but if you can get past that, then it's all cake from there.

Sponsored Links:
29th Jan, 2011 - 4:03am / Post ID: #

Works It Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

When I was playing in D&D with Kntoran as GM I saw a couple players post their rolls regularly and I just new there was totally no way they could be scoring like that all the time.

30th Jan, 2011 - 12:00am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons Play By Post: How It Works Reviews RPG & Card Board

I think you're thinking of the same guy I'm thinking of but I didn't say anything because it wasn't my game plus I didn't want to come off as the holier than thou cleric so I left it like that. Glad to see I wasn't the only one seeing it.

2nd Feb, 2011 - 11:55pm / Post ID: #

Page 6 Works It Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

Dude if its the same guy we're talking about then I don't see him here anymore. I'm not actually 'in' D&D right now but I like to check out what they're saying in the play section and I don't see him.

3rd Feb, 2011 - 4:47am / Post ID: #

Works It Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

Does this happen every so often? I mean, when everything just seems to have halted? I know that people have lives, and those lives require them to devote time to bigger and better things, but I hope the games pick back up soon.

3rd Feb, 2011 - 11:15am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons Play By Post: How It Works

That's the hazard of not having a set posting schedule, but instead, using the Party Leader format and waiting on everything to be distilled into one post for the GM. All the different methods have ups and downs, though for me personally, I feel like this method is not very practical.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
3rd Feb, 2011 - 11:57am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons Play Post It Works - Page 6

The current delay has nothing to do with Party Leader method.

The problem is that KNtoran's wrote saying he had serious connection issues and was not able to get online at the moment.

I have mentioned this before within this Thread but will repeat: What I do find in this Community especially among those in Play by Post is they take no time to find out about the actual people that run these things so they just buzz around game Threads and don't know if the person running it is dead or alive.

If Players are more pro active by visiting the Threads of the people who are involved then they will understand why there might be delays. In my case, in the Games I run and the Party Leader system it is the other way around - updates are done at a minimum of every two days and it is often the Players that are delinquent and not the system as they find out when the stories moves on without them.

The other problem is that Players count on one game or GM too much. If they spread themselves around then there will always be an active Game for them to participate in, for example Oliron does not use a Party Leader system but it is still based on when he is here.

Players can start their own games and run it the way they want. If they can be here everyday, twice a day updating then great, but that isn't how life goes for working adults who have families to attend to. If Players can make a schedule and start a game to run constantly one post after the other as Oliron did with "Oliron vs. ?" then take the initiative and do it... This is what Member Wars is for... Bring your own system and show us how it works. My point is with Play by Post there must be an element of responsibility for everyone participating rather than blaming it on the method or the person running the game.

Above all this there is Discussion, which is firstly what this site is about. If a GM is not around then take the time to review some Play by Post games and maybe some Playing tactics in the RPG Reviews Board. Get to know the people you are playing with and so forth.

3rd Feb, 2011 - 11:59pm / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons Play Post It Works Board Card & RPG Reviews - Page 6

Guilty! I don't spend enough time getting into the member's threads much at all. Most I do is just check on players that I'm down with or like if I see someone taking too long to reply with their actions then I check on them to see why. I agree with you its up to each player to make it a good game but sometimes I think just silly things drag it on like waiting for someone that doesn't show up regularly.

> TOPIC: Dungeons & Dragons Play By Post: How It Works

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,