Dungeons & Dragons Play By Post: How It Works - Page 9 of 12

It could take days or [just] a day, it all - Page 9 - Board, Card, RPG Reviews - Posted: 25th Jun, 2013 - 1:31pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

22nd September 2024's Text Adventure:
Choose Your Medieval Fantasy Character:

Rogue
Rogue
Ranger
Ranger
Fighter
Fighter
Paladin
Paladin
Draconian
Draconian
Warlock
Warlock
Cleric
Cleric
Barbarian
Barbarian
Wizard
Wizard

+  « First of 12 pgs.  5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 

?
Poll: After considering time, resources and overall role-play, Dungeons & Dragons is best played:
  Around a table where you face each other as it is meant to be       48.65%
  Via some kind of live web cam or interface       2.70%
  Via some chat interface       5.41%
  On a Forum or Bulletin Board like this one       43.24%
  On the computer in a solo game environment       0.00%
  Via snail mail       0.00%
  Other (Explain in your Post)       0.00%
Total Votes: 37
Guests Cannot Vote - Join To Add Your Vote! 
How to play Dungeons & Dragons This Thread serves as a GENERAL explanation of how Play By Post works. Each Dungeon Master may have different rules to their specific game.
Post Date: 2nd Jul, 2012 - 12:33pm / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons Play By Post: How It Works - Page 9

Name: Hank

Comments: I have a D&D character I will like to bring over from another forum that I'm thinking of leaving, can I do that or do I have to be at level 1 to start?

Sponsored Links:
2nd Jul, 2012 - 5:57pm / Post ID: #

Works It Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

For here I think it depends on which D&D game you are in because each dungeon master has his / her own rules. Some scenarios actually require you to have a higher level character and others do not.

11th Jul, 2012 - 7:19am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons Play By Post: How It Works Reviews RPG & Card Board

To me posting on a thread requires adaptability. At a table I can focus on what I want, pretty much no adaptability required. Here I pay more attention to what is said. I then think what would my character do.

At a table there are so many other distractions. At times I don't even play my character. Here you pretty much have to.

Also there is being able to stop and rethink what you said. Edit out the awkward blurb, and meaningless garble. Go back and read exactly what happened and in what order.

Characters almost seem more real to me in a way in this format. I tend to hear the characters voice sort of and "see" the characters. Were as at a table I might be thinking about how many sodas I have left and doing calculations, while your going on about some new magical wand of teleportation or whatever. An hour later my face gets melted off because I was looking at a poster on the wall and thinking about Luke Skywalkers speech to Jabba, while you were explaining in great detail the fire breathing part of the monster I'm 5' away from.

Reconcile Edited: Oliron on 11th Jul, 2012 - 7:47am

Post Date: 24th Oct, 2012 - 3:39am / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons Play By Post: How It Works
A Friend

Page 9 Works It Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

Hello!

I am new here, to the forums and to Dungeons & Dragons (Never actually played it before, but have heard a lot about it from close friends). I am very interested in participating, so I have been reading entire games and the helpful user-made guides...but dice still continues to confuse me even now as I go over the information to help develop this post.

Here is what I know:
Dice randomizes the results of your actions.
There are several different types of dice.
Multipliers are...er...multiplied.
310d5 = roll three 10-sided dice and add five.

What I want to know:
Which kind of dice do you roll for every action, and when/where do you roll them?
Multipliers/Modifiers?
Is it helpful/required that you show these results on every play?

[Thank you]

24th Oct, 2012 - 5:30am / Post ID: #

Works It Post Play Dragons and Dungeons

Hi, welcome to the Dungeons & Dragons world! Actually, you will almost always roll the d20, the twenty sides dice. Other dice are mainly used to calculate damage (that is dependent on the source of the damage, different sources deal different amounts of damage I.e.: weapons). In some rare cases you will have to roll percentage dice, d100, but that will be specified by the Game Master. You made a little bit of confusion: if I followed what you wrote I would roll 310 five sides dice. The correct writing is 3d10+5

16th Dec, 2012 - 10:54pm / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons Play By Post: How It Works

For those who wish the GM could provide some kind of visual representation as to a room's layout or the position of characters vs monsters there is the Online Sketch Tool - Described here.

The Support Thread for this Tool is in the Art Board: Source 4

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 25th Jun, 2013 - 1:21pm / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons Play Post It Works - Page 9

Name: Halfling

Comments: In a play by post environment how long does it take to resolve a typical Dungeons & Dragons combat event? Also, what does everyone do while they're waiting for someone to post their character's actions or whatever?

25th Jun, 2013 - 1:31pm / Post ID: #

Dungeons & Dragons Play Post It Works Board Card & RPG Reviews - Page 9

It could take days or [just] a day, it all depends on the kind of combat and the number of us that are in the game.

As for what we do while we wait, well get back to real life of course, but if you're talking about something fun then there are many Role-playing Games here so if you're waiting on one you go on to another and see what is happening there. Believe me, there is more going on here than you can keep up with so don't think you're faster.

+  « First of 12 pgs.  5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 

> TOPIC: Dungeons & Dragons Play By Post: How It Works

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,