Adequate, Not Comprehensive

Adequate Comprehensive - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 31st May, 2010 - 5:12pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Mormon History
Post Date: 14th Apr, 2010 - 3:07pm / Post ID: #

Mormon History Related

"The Prophet Joseph Smith worked by the gift and power of God amid numerous interruptions, bitter persecutions, and even the 'most strenuous exertions' to wrest the actual plates from him (JS-H 1:60). His was not the tranquil life of a detached scholar in some sheltered sanctuary where he could work at his uninterrupted leisure. Chores had to be done. His family had to be cared for. Joseph was so conscientious that the Lord counseled him: 'Do not run faster or labor more than you have strength and means provided to enable you to translate; but be diligent unto the end' (D&C 10:4)."Many who read the Book of Mormon understandably desire to know more about its coming forth, including the actual process of translation. This was certainly so with faithful and loyal Hyrum Smith. Upon inquiring, Hyrum was told by the Prophet Joseph that 'it was not intended to tell the world all the particulars of the coming forth of the Book of Mormon' and that 'it was not expedient for him to relate these things' (History of the Church, 1:220). Thus what we do know about the actual coming forth of the Book of Mormon is adequate, but it is not comprehensive."Our primary focus in studying the Book of Mormon should be on the principles of the gospel anyway, not on the process by which the book came forth."
-- Neal A. Maxwell, "By the Gift and Power of God," Ensign, Jan. 1997, 38-39

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 14th Apr, 2010 - 4:22pm / Post ID: #

Comprehensive Adequate

Name: Paralegal

Comments: I agree that the principal purpose of The Book of Mormon is to teach the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ. However, I do think that it is not limited to that. What I mean is that the Book of Mormon is written in such a perfect way that will teach you according to your level of spirituality and understanding. As you progress in your learning of the gospel, there are small things there, that you will not notice unless you are prepared to learn. And The Holy Ghost will make them "pop-up" (figuratively) for you, as you become ready to learn them.
Example:
(I don't have a BOM in front of me, so I will just paraphrase)
"and they suffered exceedingly" to some, this will just picture in their minds people sad or going thru some hard times, as they focus on more basic teachings. But, if one is ready to learn more deeply, the Holy Ghost will bring to mind actual details of the way these people suffered; . . . And this is just an example, but it could apply on someone learning of the power of repentance, forgiveness, faith etc. depending on what each person "thrusts" for in their spirit. - I think -

31st May, 2010 - 5:12pm / Post ID: #

Adequate, Not Comprehensive Studies Doctrine Mormon

international QUOTE
Many who read the Book of Mormon understandably desire to know more about its coming forth, including the actual process of translation. This was certainly so with faithful and loyal Hyrum Smith. Upon inquiring, Hyrum was told by the Prophet Joseph that 'it was not intended to tell the world all the particulars of the coming forth of the Book of Mormon' and that 'it was not expedient for him to relate these things' (History of the Church, 1:220). Thus what we do know about the actual coming forth of the Book of Mormon is adequate, but it is not comprehensive."Our primary focus in studying the Book of Mormon should be on the principles of the gospel anyway, not on the process by which the book came forth."

I think this is one of those topics the church clearly doesnt want to discuss because of its repercussions you know what am I saying?. If we take into considerations accounts and the whole issue of Joseph Smith using a hat we will see why they don't want to discuss it. Its silly to me actually and a non-issue. We're too worried about what the world will think way too much.

> TOPIC: Adequate, Not Comprehensive

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,