John The Translated, Senior Apostle.

John Translated Senior Apostle - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 18th Jul, 2010 - 2:58pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 25th Jan, 2010 - 12:41am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I've been thinking about too much deep doctrine so I want to go back to the basics and mention something that is very clear and straight to the point.

I want to talk about succession after the death of Jesus Christ.

In Matthew chapter 16:19 Jesus Christ gives Peter the

international QUOTE
keys of the kingdom of heaven.

We know that at this time Peter was the President of the Quroum of the Twelve Apostles.

In the next chapter (Matthew 17) Jesus is with his first presidency (Peter, James, and John) on the Mount of Transfiguration. Moses and Elias (Who holds the Keys to Temple Ordinances) appears to the four. But, the details are pretty sketchy.

However, we can conclude without a doubt that Peter, James, and John were the presiding apostles.

After the atonement was complete Peter becomes the chief apostle and Prophet, Seer, and Revelator with James as first counselor and John as second counselor.

Eventually both Peter and James become martyred, which makes John the Chief Apostle. We know through scripture that John was translated, never to taste death, and so the Priesthood really never left Earth but it was pretty much out of sight and mind (Like Yoda was after the great apostasy of Anakin Skywalker).

However, Linus, who would be either a modern day Stake President or Seventy assumed control of the church. He was basically an area authority over Rome (They called him Bishop but at that time a Bishop oversaw a larger number of members than Bishops today do).

Therefore, Linus, and the successor that all Catholics everywhere draw their Papal succession from, was an illigitimate Prophet. Because, John, who was still living but in a translated state was still the presiding apostle.

This is why John had to be present when Joseph Smith was ordained to the Melchizedek Priesthood. Perhaps John the Translated was the one who laid his hands on the head of Joseph Smith.

So there you have it. John was the Chief Apostle but Linus assumed the role of Prophet (Falsely).

Any church that does not trace it's succession through John the Translated is not Christ's Church.

Sponsored Links:
26th Jan, 2010 - 4:40am / Post ID: #

Apostle Senior Translated John

I like this topic. Because the only two churches who claim authority, are us (LDS) and the Catholics. For those of us in the church, this may be basics. But for the rest of the Christian world, I think this would be deep doctrine. Because they have no idea of this reality. It gets even deeper, when you think that our priesthood authority goes back only a few generations. Through Brigham, to Joseph, to Peter James and John, and to the LORD Himself.
One of the things I've always wondered about, is where has John been, and what has he been doing. He stuck around these past 2000 years, so he could bring more souls to the Lord. It will be interesting to find out whose lives he has effected, and how. Another curious thing about John, is that we don't have all of his writings. Some of them have been sealed up until we are worthy to receive them. I really want to know what they say.

Here's a nice story about John, taken from the book "Sacred Truths of the Doctrine & Covenants" Vol 1 pp.58-60

international QUOTE
John's Desire
As great as it is and will be for individuals to come into the presence of
Jesus Christ, there is a greater work-help others experience the same glory. This was the desire of John the Beloved. He recorded as follows:
And the Lord said unto me: John, my beloved, what desirest thou? For if you shall ask what you will, it shall be granted unto you.
And I said unto him: Lord, give unto me power over death, that
I may live and bring souls unto thee.
(D&C 7:-1,-2, underlining
added)

In conversing with Peter concerning John's desire, the savior referred to John and said,
. . .my beloved has desired that he might do more, or a greater work
yet among men than what he has before done. (D&C 7:5, underlining
added)

A reported incident in John's own life will serve as an example of the sincerity of his desire. This experience was recorded by an ancient historian.
We note the phraseology and use of words is sometimes foreign to those who have the benefit of the restored gospel. However, the principle
portrayed is John's great concern and love for the souls of his fellowmen.
When the tyrant [Domitian ?] was dead, and John had moved from the island of Patmos to Ephesus, he used to go when asked to the neighboring districts of the Gentile peoples, sometimes to appoint bishops, sometimes to organize whole churches, sometimes
to ordain one person of those pointed out by the Spirit. So it happened that he arrived at a city not far off, named by some, [Smyrna] and after settling the various problems of the brethren, he finally looked at the bishop already appointed, and indicating a youngster he had noticed, of excellent physique, attractive appearance, and ardent spirit, he said: "I leave this young man in your keeping, with all earnestness, in the presence of the Church and Christ as my witness." When the bishop accepted him and promised everything, John addressed the same appeal and adjuration to him a second time.
He then returned to Ephesus, and the cleric took home the youngster entrusted to his care, brought him up, kept him in his company, looked after him, and finally gave him the grace of baptism. After this he relaxed his constant care and watchfulness, having put upon him the seal of the Lord as the perfect protection. But the youngster snatched at liberty too soon, and was led sadly astray by others of his own age who were idle, dissolute, and evil-livers. First they led him on by expensive entertainments; then they took him with them when they went out at night to commit robbery; then they urged him to take part in even greater crimes.
Little by little he fell into their ways; and like a hard-mouthed powerful horse he dashed off the straight road, and taking the bit between his teeth rushed down the precipice the more violently because of his immense vitality. Completely renouncing God's salvation, he was no longer content with petty offences, but, as his life was already in ruins, he decided to commit a major crime and suffer the same fate as the others. He took these same young renegades and formed them into a gang of bandits of which his was the master mind, surpassing them all in violence, cruelty, and bloodthirstiness.
  Time went by, and some necessity having arisen, John was asked to pay another visit. When he had dealt with the business for which he had come, he said: "Come now bishop , pay me back the deposit which Christ and I left in your keeping, in the presence of the Church over which you preside as my witness." At first the bishop was taken aback, thinking that he was being dunned for money he had never received. He could neither comply with a demand for what he did not Possess, nor refuse to comply with
John's request. But when John said, "It is the young man I am asking for, and the soul of our brother", the old man sighed deeply and shed a tear.
"He is dead."
"How did he die?"
"He is dead to God: he turned out wicked and profligate, in short, a bandit; and now, instead of the Church, he has taken to the mountain with an armed gang of men like himself."
The apostle rent his garment, groaned aloud, and beat his head. "A fine guardian,,, he cried, ,,I Ieft our brother,s soul! However, let me have a horse immediately, and someone to show me the way." He galloped off from the church, then and there, just as he was. When he arrived at the place, and was seized by the bandits' sentry-group, he made no attempt to escape and asked no mercy, but shouted: "This is what I have come for: take me to your leader." For the time being the young man waited, armed as he was; but as John approached he recognized him, and filled with shame, turned to flee. But John ran after him as he could, forgetting his years and calling out: "Why do you run away from me, child-from your own father, unarmed and very old? Be sorry for me, child, not afraid of me. You still have hopes of life. I will account to Christ for you. If need be, I will gladly suffer your death, as the Lord suffered death for us; to save you l will give my own life.
Stop! believe! Christ sent me."
  When he heard this, the young man stopped and stood with his eyes on the ground; then he threw down his weapons; then he trembled and began to weep bitterly.
. . .[John] did not leave him, we are told, till he had restored him to the Church, giving a perfect example of true repentance and a perfect proof of regeneration. . .(Eusetius, The History of the
Church, pp. 128-131)

MARK1616

8th Jun, 2010 - 11:17pm / Post ID: #

John The Translated, Senior Apostle. Studies Doctrine Mormon

The missionaries had a little black book called the Missionary Pal or something like that. It covered a lot of this. Josephus also documented a lot of what happened after the Apostles.

Post Date: 18th Jul, 2010 - 2:58pm / Post ID: #

Apostle Senior Translated John

Name: Nick

Comments: Mark1616, It's not John the Translated who was being refered to by Joseph as having written other books. It was John the Baptist.

Joseph informs us he wrote the Prologue to the Book of John.

Joseph also mentioned these records of JTB would come forth in our day. They have....The Dead Sea Scrolls! [..]

> TOPIC: John The Translated, Senior Apostle.

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,