Hight Tech Stuff in Religious Services?

Hight Tech Stuff Religious Services - General Religious Beliefs - Posted: 22nd Jun, 2003 - 2:21pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
26th May, 2003 - 4:26pm / Post ID: #

Do you think using moder or high tech stuff as part of the worship service is taking away from spirituality?

From Deseret News:

CHURCHES ZERO IN ON SPECIAL EFFECTS
It's not exactly a thunderbolt from the heavens, but high-tech wizardry that can
match it in sight and sound is changing how the faithful worship the Almighty at
many churches.
https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...35366%2C00.html

Sponsored Links:
7th Jun, 2003 - 12:14pm / Post ID: #

Services Religious Stuff Tech Hight

Oh brothers, are they trying to make everyone lazy?

From Deseret News:

MISSED CHURCH? LOG ON TO INTERNET SERMONS
If you miss the Sunday sermon at your local church, or if you're looking for a
new church, you may have an easy new option -- the Internet.
https://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C...38460%2C00.html

Post Date: 18th Jun, 2003 - 2:21pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Hight Tech Stuff in Religious Services? Beliefs Religious General

Your Religion: www.lds.org
Years a Member: 26
Spiritual Activity: It's my life

You can't worship God completely in a way pleasing to Him alone in front of a computer.  Worshiping God includes building up of others faith along with your own, and meeting together personally to do it.  And if you believe in taking the sacrament or Lord's supper, you can't do that online.  It may still be a good idea though for people who can't make it in person sometimes.  But not all the time.  I believe The Holy Spirit works better for you when you're actually there.   8) smile.gif wink.gif

Post Date: 21st Jun, 2003 - 8:35am / Post ID: #

A Friend

My mom is Church of Christ.... they do not even believe in a piano!!

Personally, I am there for the message. But I do rather enjoy the lyrics on the screens. They show slides of up coming events and have made mini movies (like 3 min long) for things.

But nothing over the top.

I am grateful there are things online for people like myself who can't always make it to church.

It is not the same as being there, no. But it is good to hear the word taught and a new insight.

21st Jun, 2003 - 10:31am / Post ID: #

My mom is Church of Christ.... they do not even believe in a piano!!

What do you mean they don't believe in a piano?

Post Date: 21st Jun, 2003 - 5:02pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

At my church, they just have the standard mic system so everyone can hear what the priest is saying.  At my husband's church, they have a small mic system, but they also pipe the service into the nursery, so the women taking care of the small children can hear the preacher's sermon too.  
I have been to other churches with friends and some of those churches have very expensive mic systems, special lighting, stages and much band equipment.  Some of this stuff is not necessary to preach/give a sermon on God.  It seems more like trying to glam up the church to get people more interested in going.  I mean, you go to church to worship, not enjoy all the 'special effects'.  If people go to church for the 'special effects', isn't that going to church for the wrong reasons?  

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 22nd Jun, 2003 - 11:11am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Hight Tech Stuff Religious Services

What do you mean they don't believe in a piano?

Church of Christ believes you to not "Add" anything to the Church. Jesus did not have musical instruments in the church, they *sang* praises unto the Lord.

They feel it is wrong to have any musical instruments.

Personally, I do not agree.

My thoughts have always been, one.... Jesus was Jewish. He would have taught in a synagogue not a church... but more often we read of his sermons out on the  a mountain or in the streets.

The "Church" is the people.

Also, if the "church" is to be the way it was when Jesus was on earth, the building should not have electricity , etc.

Also, it says in Psalms that David played the timbrel and danced before the Lord.

I do not think having a piano (or other instruments) takes away from God. It is a God given talent to play the flute, guitar.. even drums.... why not use it in church during Musical Praise and Worship

(my thoughts on it anyway)

I wanted to mention, I am not for anything elaborate.  But in some ways, I am glad to see the churches doing what ever they can to bring people in.

There is a church her in Houston.

It is called Lakewood, Joel Osteen is the pastor.
His father started the church 50+ years ago in a abandoned feed store. His father passed away several years ago. But the building they are in seats thousands.

They have outgrown the building (with 3 services on Sunday alone... all full)

And have purchased the Compaq Center (where the Houston Rockets used to play basket ball).

I can not remember the amount of seats...I  believe 30,000.

The church service is televised, I do watch it and enjoy the pastor... he is very uplifting.

I used to be skeptical of churches this size and the money it takes, etc. But the people are flocking in.... it works. It is large, but they have groups to make it intimate.

They are not money hungry (never asks for a donation at the end of the broadcast) but you can feel the joy of the people in the audiance... just by watching it on tv.

They of course have a lot of technology... but God's word is the key.

I have to say, too..... I am not a member ( it is entirely to big for me and to far for me to go)

But last year, my (former) brother in law had throat cancer. He was 43 at the time, the mass was 151cm. They could not "remove it" they could only use chemo and radiation or it would spread (as it was in the pallet of his roof, etc.

I emailed Lakewood church (my former Mother and Father in law)  had been members, but it is a bit far for them to drive and they have not been "active" members. for quite sometime due to many reasons.

Anyway (got off track) I emailed the church to ask for prayer for him, they called me the next day! They asked for my ex in-laws phone number and wanted to go out and visit with David.

I was touched. The woman was kind and cared about the situation.... yet because it is televised (nationally) and as I said it is 10,000 members or so currently.... even with all the technology and events going on and what ever else...... they responded quickly to just a simple email.

So, I do think in some ways technology is a good thing. It can be a very useful tool for God.

BTW, after several months Davids tumor shrunk down to nothing but scar tissue.

Another amazing thing (since I am on a roll here bouncing off topic) He had been in a motorcycle accident, he was thrown off the road in the woods on his way home... the only reason he was found is EVENTUALLY when it got dark, someone saw the headlight coming from the woods.

He was taken to the hospital, and they ran tests.... he had not head damage (even though he was slammed into a tree) He basically was bruised, but they had inserted the mouthpiece (I suppose in the beginning for oxygen). He kept complaining his throat hurt after they removed it. Just to "be sure" they did a scan to check out to see if maybe the tube had scraped his throat, and that is HOW they found the mass.  He never had a clue, no symptoms, no difficulty in swallowing.

So by a wreck, the cancer was detected.

Pretty awesome to me !

(sorry for rambling)

22nd Jun, 2003 - 2:21pm / Post ID: #

Hight Tech Stuff Religious Services General Religious Beliefs

(sorry for rambling)

Nah, that was very interesting, and good to see the faith you have developed in the power of God through experiences with people around you.

Thanks for explaining about the piano, and the points you mentioned about it I think are good, personally I would bring a brass ban or play 'rock' type music in a meeting though as it takes away from the reverent tone.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Hight Tech Stuff in Religious Services?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,