Christ's Comeliness?

Christ' S Comeliness - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 17th Oct, 2006 - 1:20pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
18th Nov, 2004 - 1:48pm / Post ID: #

Christ's Comeliness?

This topic may not seem very important, but it brings up some interesting discussion. I submit it with all due respect to the Man that is our Savior.

What did Christ look like when he was mortal? Sometime ago there was a report produced that showed him as a simple, but 'rough' looking Jew. We know from the scriptures that his mother was fair and thus he may be also fair? At the same time Isaiah describes him as 'no big deal' when he says...

Isaiah 53:1 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed? 2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

Was Isaiah talking particularly about the way He looked or was it about what he had to offer based on the World's judgement of greatness. You know what they say... when you are rich and powerful you seem to look better.

Now what about what He looks like now? We have the typical pictures of the Church, some portray him with white hair and others with brown. Some accounts of 'seeing' him say He had brown hair yet many scriptures recall it being white as snow.

What is your view?

Sponsored Links:
18th Nov, 2004 - 5:30pm / Post ID: #

Comeliness Christs

Well, I think Jesus Christ when was on the Earth looked just like a Jew. I know the scriptures mentioned that Mary was 'fair' but the word 'fair' could be interpret it in so many ways. I don't think he was 'white' or anglo, I think he was just like a typical Jewish man. How he looks like now?. The same as before, I don't think he changes physically per say (In my opinion, he cannot physically get older than the age when he died, 33 years old) but then again, this is just my speculation.

24th Nov, 2004 - 7:30am / Post ID: #

Christ's Comeliness? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I think that Isaiah was just saying that Christ would look like any other Jewish man of the time, not that he would be grotesque or deformed. It makes sense to me that Jesus must look common, because if he looked unusually perfect or glorious, his authority would be more obvious. God gave him an average appearance so that the people must understand him and his mission by his teachings and his Spirit.

Post Date: 12th Jan, 2006 - 11:57pm / Post ID: #

Christ's Comeliness?
A Friend

Comeliness Christs

It kind of bugs me when I see films that show Christ as taller than everyone else, and always wearing all-white clothing unlike everyone else, and a beautiful freshly-shampooed hairdo instead of rags on his head like everyone else, and having lighter skin than everyone else, and a better-trimmed beard than everyone else. I would like to see Him portrayed as looking Jewish, because I think He probably did look Jewish. He was not richer than other people, nor did he have access to better laundry facilities than others, and I can't imagine him spending inordinate amounts of time on his appearance, can you?

I don't suppose the actor exists who can satisfactorily portray Christ. But every time I see one playing Him, I say to myself, "Nope." I keep thinking I'll know Him when I see him, but maybe not: maybe what he actually looks like will be a complete surprise. Joseph Smith said he looks exactly like the Father . . .

Post Date: 9th May, 2006 - 11:37pm / Post ID: #

Christ's Comeliness?
A Friend

Comeliness Christs

QUOTE (JB@Trinidad @ 18-Nov 04, 8:48 AM)
This topic may not seem very important, but it brings up some interesting discussion. I submit it with all due respect to the Man that is our Savior.

What did Christ look like when he was mortal? Sometime ago there was a report produced that showed him as a simple, but 'rough' looking Jew. We know from the scriptures that his mother was fair and thus he may be also fair? At the same time Isaiah describes him as 'no big deal' when he says...

Isaiah 53:1 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed? 2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

Was Isaiah talking particularly about the way He looked or was it about what he had to offer based on the World's judgement of greatness. You know what they say... when you are rich and powerful you seem to look better.

Now what about what He looks like now? We have the typical pictures of the Church, some portray him with white hair and others with brown. Some accounts of 'seeing' him say He had brown hair yet many scriptures recall it being white as snow.

What is your view?

I think that after Christ was resurrected, that's when "he shone like the sun", looked as if his hair was "white as snow". This is how Joseph Smith saw him-and this was after Christ was reserectred.
But while he was on the earth, he probably looked just like any other Jewish person at the time. There's a picture of Christ that one of my seminary teachers told me is the most correct, because the artist prayed carefully before drawing it and that was the image he saw. and that picture is like the ones we see most often-a headshot of Christ in a red robe with dark hair.

Post Date: 30th Jun, 2006 - 9:57am / Post ID: #

Christ's Comeliness?
A Friend

Christ's Comeliness?

Wow, I didn't know that. I thought it was just the artist's interpretation. There was a time about a year ago when I was reading the scriptures a lot and praying as well, and one night I felt very close to Christ, almost like I could see him, and I thought I did see him even for a fraction of a second in my mind (though it was more like an impression of him). It's nothing detailed, but that's the most I absolutely know about Christ's appearance.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
17th Oct, 2006 - 7:24am / Post ID: #

Christ's Comeliness

I think Christ was regular looking and that's what is meant by "there is no beauty that we should desire him". I imagine He looked a lot like everyone else, ordinary. I think that His hair being as white as snow is the result of His being a Celestial being and that is how mortals perceive Celestial beings. I've never heard of a Heavenly messenger of any kind not having white hair, that I can recall.

17th Oct, 2006 - 1:20pm / Post ID: #

Christ's Comeliness Mormon Doctrine Studies

I believe that Christ probably looked much like everyone else in His circle of family. Certainly He had some of Mary's characteristics, so of course He would look Jewish, but He is also the Only Begotten Son of the Father. He had to have some of Heavenly Father's physical characteristics. Maybe He was a little taller, maybe a little fairer than others? Maybe he was shorter and darker than others?

Several places in the scriptures say that Jesus looks just like Heavenly Father ("If ye have seen me, ye have seen the Father," etc.). Nowhere in the scriptures does it say that God the Father was Jewish; so the physical characteristics that He passed on to His Son could be quite different, indeed.

Now, having said all that, was Christ comely? From several scriptures, it is said He was not. And I agree that His teaching had to be conveyed by the Spirit. Many people will follow someone just because they are charismatic and beautiful; Christ's message had to transcend that.

In my opinion.
Roz

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Christ's Comeliness?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,