Did Joseph Smith Wear Garments?

Did Joseph Smith Wear Garments - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 10th Jul, 2012 - 11:54pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

22nd Jul, 2010 - 1:14pm / Post ID: #

I saw someone ask this question today and it made me think... Do we have a record of Joseph Smith being asked to wear the garments we do now and who made it for him?

Sponsored Links:
3rd Jul, 2012 - 4:57am / Post ID: #

Garments Wear Smith Joseph Did

Well if he gave the revelations of the endowment ceremony wouldn't he also have the garments? I think its a precursor to the whole teaching thing. I have no idea who could of made it but I'm willing to bet Relief Society sisters had a hand. wink.gif

7th Jul, 2012 - 9:54pm / Post ID: #

Did Joseph Smith Wear Garments? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Yes Joseph did wear garments. I believe that they were made by the relief society. But towards the end of his life Joseph did not wear them all the time. In fact in the Carthage jail Joseph did not have them on. He had stopped wearing them as frequently by then.

Post Date: 7th Jul, 2012 - 10:45pm / Post ID: #

Name: Jammie

Comments: I'm just curious how the last poster knows whether Joseph had his garment on or not and how often he wore them?

8th Jul, 2012 - 1:02am / Post ID: #

Jammie, there are several accounts recorded in early diaries that mention the fact that Joseph was not wearing his temple garments when he was in Carthage jail. As a matter of fact four out of three people who were presenty there were not wearing them, the only one who had them on was Willard Richards who refused to listen to the instruction of the Prophet when he asked the Quorum of the Anointed to stop wearing them.

The reason why of such request still pretty debatable. Some sources indicate fear because the mobs would put those endowed members directly to death (because they will associate the garments with polygamy). Other sources indicate that Joseph Smith stopped wearing them on occasion because of the hot weather.

A couple of quotes that indicate the points above:

international QUOTE
Thursday, April 22, 1897: My niece Zina Card and sister Lucy B. Young came on their return from Goshen and the other settlements in this county south of here and stayed all night with us. They were out by appointment from the Presidency of the Church in the interests of the young womans Journal. We had an excellent time while they were here talking over old times, the sayings of Joseph and Hyrum of Brigham and others. Among other things both new and old was repeated the fact that the Prophet Joseph pulled off his garments just before starting to Carthage to be slain and he advised Hyrum and John Taylor to do the same, which they did; and Brother Taylor told Brother Willard Richards what they had done and advised him to take off his also, but Brother Richards said that he would not take his off, and did not; and he was not harmed. Joseph said before taking his garments off, that he was going to be killed. . . "was going as a lamb to the slaughter" and he did not want his garments to be exposed to the sneers and jeers of his enemies. These facts all came from President John Taylor's lips after he was President of the Church. Elder John Morgan had told them to me as stated to him by Brother Taylor. Sister Lucy B. Young said that Brother John Taylor told her in answer to direct questions, the same all except with regard to Willard Richards. (HISTORY OF THE LIFE OF OLIVER B. HUNTINGTON, Written by Himself, 1878 - 1900)

international QUOTE
[T]he order came that in every habitation where any of the endowment clothes were found, [it] would [mean] death to the inmates -- Olive Frost...came to tear to pieces the garments &c of...Doctor Levi....Miss [Rhoda] Richards separated the parts and placed them among the articles of linen. (Sarah G. Richards to Zina Huntington, 20 September 1890, Church Archives)

10th Jul, 2012 - 11:54pm / Post ID: #

Thanks for posting that source. Like you said the reason is debatable. I tend to think that it was not because he know that he was dying. This source is written well after the incident, so I tend to believe that it was given to support the church's understanding of the garment in the late 1800s. I tend to think that the garments just were not worn all the time as they are today, and under Young. Heat may have been the reason, but it is clear that it was not worn like they are today.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Did Joseph Smith Wear Garments?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,