The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? - Page 14 of 33

I am not quite sure what you are saying here. - Page 14 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 10th Jun, 2008 - 3:53am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 33 pgs.  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  ...Latest (33) »

Are Mormons meant to follow blindly? We may say no, but if you disagree what do you do? Pray UNTIL you believe? Should we believe that all that is written and said by the Modern Prophets is correct and infallible? If so, then why do we have to pray about it? Is it for us to believe what they say or really to find out if that is what we ought to be doing? Controversial Mormon Issue.
The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? Related Information to The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?
9th Jun, 2008 - 3:23am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? - Page 14

The talk by Pres. Benson reinforces my point of the Church teaching about infallibility of Prophets which does not exist. It is not scriptural.

Sponsored Links:
9th Jun, 2008 - 4:09am / Post ID: #

Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

"It makes no difference what is written or what anyone has said, if what has been said is in conflict with what the Lord has revealed, we can set it aside. My words, and the teachings of any other member of the Church, high or low, if they don't square with the revelations, we need not accept them. Let us have this matter clear. We have accepted the four standard works as the measuring yardsticks, or balances, by which we measure every man's doctrine.

I found this post (from 2003)interesting and agree with what it is saying. The quote is from Journal of Discourses. But it brought up a question which I believe is true to this discussion.
Who wrote the standard works? Was it not the prophets who, according to the doctrine of infallibility were just as much men as our latter day Prophets? If such is true, what makes the standard works any more valid than what has been given to us by today's prophets?
It seems this discussion is circular in nature, as once again I believe it comes down to following the prophets but taking it upon ourselves to be in tune with the Spirit for confirmation.

NightHawk wote:

I see conflicts, and the only answers I ever get, except from apostates, is "the brethren can't lead us astray."  I can't accept that.

Of course they "can" lead us astray. Chances are they won't. The Lord knows our nature and how we will act in a given situation. Have there been times when church leaders have fallen? Of course there has. But never to the detriment of the Lord's Church. He has it all mapped out and should the prophet falter he would go with the contingency plan. He knows the beginning to the end.
(D&C 38:2 The same which knoweth all things, for all things are present before mine eyes; )

The talk by Pres. Benson reinforces my point of the Church teaching about infallibility of Prophets which does not exist. It is not scriptural.

I do not disagree with you. And, having read deeper into the thread, I see that Pres. Benson's talk has been discussed ad nauseum. But I may argue with you that it is not scripture. Aren't we told that our scriptures are to include Church publications these days? But then that may be a discussion for a different thread that I have yet to discover. cool.gif

Reconcile Message Edited...
JB: Please use one post for replies. Also please learn how to use the Quote Tags so we can tell who you are quoting. Thanks.

9th Jun, 2008 - 5:44am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? Studies Doctrine Mormon

alskann:

as once again I believe it comes down to following the prophets but taking it upon ourselves to be in tune with the Spirit for confirmation.

So if he gives counsel in something and I don't get confirmation on his words means I am not in tune with the Spirit? Isn't that what the Church would say if I state that what the Prophet said is not necessarily doctrinal? I am almost sure any person who talks about this and expands about it through an interview with a leader may face some serious trouble and his/her membership even in jeopardy.

Aren't we told that our scriptures are to include Church publications these days?

Please check this thread

What is official LDS Doctrine

9th Jun, 2008 - 6:30am / Post ID: #

Page 14 Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

LDS_Forever:

So if he gives counsel in something and I don't get confirmation on his words means I am not in tune with the Spirit?

It might. I believe that if the prophet gives us counsel we should do our best to follow it. I do not see anything wrong with asking the Lord for confirmation if we find a conflict in that counsel. If that confirmation does not come right away we should continue to seek guidance from the Lord until we find an answer. Perhaps sometimes the answer is just that the Prophet IS the mouthpiece of the Lord. Sometimes it is okay to follow just because the Prophet said so. At least until we can work it out within ourselves. We must find some resolution if we are to truly follow the Prophet's counsel.

Persephone: Please look at how we use the Quote Tags here. When you do not use these tags source material that is not your own may appear to be yours when it is not. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

9th Jun, 2008 - 12:39pm / Post ID: #

Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

alskann:

It might. I believe that if the prophet gives us counsel we should do our best to follow it.

Sometimes it is okay to follow just because the Prophet said so.

In few words, according to you (minus the "might", "maybes" and "sometimes" of your posts wink.gif ) If the Prophet said so, is enough. Okay, well we definetely disagree on this. As I stated earlier, I don't believe in the infallibility of any man, having said that I believe in praying seeking confirmation that his words are true and revelation from our Father in Heaven (no taking it for granted as if every word he speaks comes from God) and not just his views on the topic. What I gather from your posts is that someone should pray to accept what the prophet said, after all, he cannot lead us astray.

10th Jun, 2008 - 2:20am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?

LDS_Forever:

What I gather from your posts is that someone should pray to accept what the prophet said, after all, he cannot lead us astray.

Not exactly. I don't seem to be explaining my point of view all that well. Let's try again:
He won't lead us astray, not because he is infallible, but because IF we are spiritually in tune and living close to the Lord the Holy Spirit will give us a heads up before it gets that far. If, per chance, a prophet should for whatever reason fall we "could" be led astray quite easily if we are not used to listening to the promptings of the Spirit.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
10th Jun, 2008 - 2:22am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet So That Enough - Page 14

Interesting take Alaskann but that is not what the Church teaches, see your own quote from Benson and many others within the Thread.

10th Jun, 2008 - 3:53am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet So That Enough Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 14

I am not quite sure what you are saying here. I am not saying the Prophet will lead us astray. I said, since prophets are mortal men, they are subject to human frailities and temptation. Thus, "should" a prophet ever falter then it is possible for a person to be led astray if they are not in tune. Personally, I do not believe the Prophet will ever falter. I believe the Lord would take him out first. I have known more than one prophet personally. They are mortal men with human wants and desires. They are also VERY good and holy men who have conquered self-mastery. They avoid situations that may lead them to temptation of any sort, therefore, I do not believe they will ever lead us astray.
That said, regardless of how much I sustain and follow the Prophet I still have the responsibility to seek my own personal revelation. Without that personal revelation why would I even believe he was a prophet in the first place? That said, if I then believe he is the prophet and mouthpiece of God then why would I not follow his teachings? If God spoke to me, I would listen and obey. Why would this be any different? But, if God spoke to ME I would want to make sure it was Him and not Satan trying to pull one over on me. And I do not believe God would be offended for my doing so.

Persephone: It is not necessary to quote the entire post of the user above you. See Constructive Posting Policy.

> TOPIC: The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,