The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? - Page 23 of 33

QUOTE (JB)Are we then saying that we go to - Page 23 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 22nd Aug, 2010 - 4:43pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 33 pgs.  19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  ...Latest (33) »

Are Mormons meant to follow blindly? We may say no, but if you disagree what do you do? Pray UNTIL you believe? Should we believe that all that is written and said by the Modern Prophets is correct and infallible? If so, then why do we have to pray about it? Is it for us to believe what they say or really to find out if that is what we ought to be doing? Controversial Mormon Issue.
The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? Related Information to The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?
24th Jun, 2010 - 1:10am / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? - Page 23

international QUOTE (Nighthawk)
The Lord would have to guide me to make a change.

The ironic thing about what you are saying and what some others have said is that this revisits the Joseph Smith First Vision... "Which church shall I join?" For me there is deep sadness and disappointment in that. Following something where the Lord said to Joseph to join none of them and in this day and age we are still wondering, looking, who to follow.

Sponsored Links:
20th Aug, 2010 - 6:04pm / Post ID: #

Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

I was wondering if this quote by Joseph Smith contradicts the more modern approach from other Prophets and leaders who told us/tell us we should be obedient without questioning.

international QUOTE
"We have heard men who hold the priesthood remark that they would do anything they were told to do by those who preside over them even if they knew it was wrong; but such obedience is worse than folly to us; it is slavery in the extreme; and the man who would thus willingly degrade himself, should not claim a rank among intelligent beings, until he turns from his folly. A man of God would despise the idea. Others, in the extreme exercise of their almighty authority have taught that such obedience was necessary, and that no matter what the saints were told to do by their presidents, they should do it without any questions. When Elders of Israel will so far indulge in these extreme notions of obedience as to teach them to the people, it is generally because they have it in their hearts to do wrong themselves."(Millenial Star, Volume 14, No. 38, Pages 593-595.)

By the other hand, Elder Grant and Marion G. Romney have said:

international QUOTE

Heber J. Grant said to Marion G. Romney, "My boy, you always keep your eye on the President of the Church, and if he ever tells you to do anything, and it is wrong, and you do it, the Lord will bless you for it." (Conference Report, October 1960, p. 78.)

international QUOTE
"Always keep your eye on the President of the church, and if he ever tells you to do anything, even if it is wrong, and you do it, the lord will bless you for it but you don't need to worry. The lord will never let his mouthpiece lead the people astray." (LDS President Marion G. Romney (of the first presidency), quoting LDS President (and prophet) Heber J. Grant "Conference Report" Oct. 1960 p. 78)

21st Aug, 2010 - 5:29pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough? Studies Doctrine Mormon

That's probably one of the biggest issues I have with this whole discussion: contradictions. Prophets and leaders of the early Church said "don't follow a man, follow God, the Holy Ghost, and Jesus Christ, because a man can lead you astray." Prophets and leaders in the past 50+ years have been saying "follow the prophet because he *can't* lead you astray - ever." That's a contradiction. Even a contradiction to the Church handbook that DBackers quoted.

Truth doesn't change, right? So how much has the Church changed since the Prophet Joseph Smith's time? The Holy Ghost's mission is to reveal truth to us, lead us to truth, teach us truth. I still believe that the Church - in general - teaches us Truth. I also believe that it is our responsibility to understand the Holy Ghost, to be worthy to receive it, to practice what we are taught about receiving personal revelation and apply it to what we hear from our leaders in the Church. It is *our* responsibility to NOT LET OURSELVES be led astray. It's these conversations we're having here that confirm and reinforce that truth.

As Nighthawk said, I see miracles still happening through the holy priesthood, I still receive incredible spiritual enlightenment at the temple and through prayer in the name of my Savior, Jesus Christ. I received personal revelation when my bishop was called that he was the right man; when I saw him that morning, before they even spoke his name, I knew it.

It's up to each one of us to find the truth. We've been given the gift of the Holy Ghost. The Savior Himself teaches to "seek, ask, knock" and "it shall be opened unto you." It's our responsibility to be aware and actively seek the truth of all things through the Holy Ghost, even the words of our prophets. That truth hasn't changed, even if the current tradition in the Church is to follow without question.

21st Aug, 2010 - 5:35pm / Post ID: #

Page 23 Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

Does it make sense to 'sustain' something that you find contradictory though? The Church indirectly teaches that if you find something wrong with the teachings of the modern Prophet then the problem is you and not the Prophet. Additionally, if we are saying that the Prophet can be so off course with certain key points of Doctrine then is the Church still being led by Christ, because remember it is supposed to be His Church. Will He allow the Prophet to directly say this or that IS current Doctrine when it is not so? That in itself does not make sense.

Rather off topic, but...
Welcome back to the world of Mature LDS Doctrine Discussion.

21st Aug, 2010 - 6:00pm / Post ID: #

Enough That So Prophet Mormon The

international QUOTE (JB)
Will He allow the Prophet to directly say this or that IS current Doctrine when it is not so?

In my opinion, Yes. Of course. I think that's the test of the saints, the test of the faithful, and as Nighthawk said -
international QUOTE (Nighthawk)
* I strongly believe in a "setting in order" that will come, when the Lord brings someone to the Church and cleans it up. There will be a remnant who are looking for this, and looking to follow the Lord, not a man. This righteous remnant will come out of the Church, not in to it from outside.

There will be a "remnant" who will come out of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints because they see it happening. So, yes. The Lord will allow this general "slippage" of doctrine because the prophecies have to "all be fulfilled."

international QUOTE
  Morm 8:22 For the eternal purposes of the Lord shall roll on, until all his promises shall be fulfilled.

Morm 8:33... Behold, look ye unto the revelations of God; for behold, the time cometh at that day when all these things must be fulfilled.

Alma 37:16-17
16 But if ye keep the commandments of God, and do with these things which are sacred according to that which the Lord doth command you, (for you must appeal unto the Lord for all things whatsoever ye must do with them) behold, no power of earth or hell can take them from you, for God is powerful to the fulfilling of all his words.
17 For he will fulfil all his promises which he shall make unto you, for he has fulfilled his promises which he has made unto our fathers.

21st Aug, 2010 - 6:09pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?

There are also a couple of scriptures that talks about God deceiving Prophets:

international QUOTE

9 And if the prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the Lord have deceived that prophet, and I will stretch out my hand upon him, and will destroy him from the midst of my people Israel. ( Ezekiel 14:9)

In this particular verse though, in the JS version it states that God doesn't deceive prophets.

international QUOTE
21 And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the Lord, and said, I will persuade him.
22 And the Lord said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so.
23 Now therefore, behold, the Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the Lord hath spoken evil concerning thee. (1 Kings 22:21-23)

international QUOTE

2 And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them;

3 Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the Lord your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul. (Deuteronomy 13:2-3 )

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
21st Aug, 2010 - 6:19pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet So That Enough - Page 23

Then you believe that the Modern Church will go through an Apostasy like in olden times? If we are to expect something to happen that will greatly awaken everyone to wonder who to follow then what we now hear in Church is pretty much a lie because none of what we are mentioning here is considered "Doctrine". Isn't the famous Primary song: 'Follow The Prophet' set to teach children from early that they should follow the Prophet unquestionably? I hear members talk about the leaders like they are gods and yet I see no mention of Christ at all. I guess what I am trying to say is the whole idea of following a half true Church hypocritical (not you just in general). We can find truth in other Churches as well but it does not mean I will attend them. Are we then saying that we go to Church because it has the most Truth there or because God wants us to attend something that is teaching something contrary. In such a confused world where Truth is very hard to come by I do not see how doing this will be a progressive step. In another Thread I inquired of Nighthwak about something like this and he mentioned things like a fear of his children falling away or the social aspects. Are these reasons? See: Source 2 - It makes me wonder about the aspects of 'worthiness' that is often preached. Who is really worth? None probably.

22nd Aug, 2010 - 4:43pm / Post ID: #

The Mormon Prophet So That Enough Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 23

international QUOTE (JB)
Are we then saying that we go to Church because it has the most Truth there or because God wants us to attend something that is teaching something contrary.

It's still the Church of Jesus Christ. The Truth is still found there. It's still HIS church! Over and over in the scriptures the people of God are given opportunities to correct their evil ways, repent, and return to Him. And also over and over are admonitions for those with "ears to hear and eyes to see" to hold fast to the gospel of Jesus Christ and endure to the end.

This tells me that it's still up to us, individually, when we hear contradictions to recognize them and act accordingly. We don't just sit by and watch, or grow bitter, or fall away; we stay true to the precepts that we know are right and are "doers of the word and not hearers only." And that we should stay in the church that Jesus Christ Himself has declared as His - in spite of the fallibility of men. We should stay worthy to receive our own personal revelation from the Holy Ghost to protect us from contradictions, pay our tithing, go to the temple, serve in our callings, and continue to serve the Lord in whatever capacity we can to build the Kingdom here on Earth.

In my opinion, that's how we're protected, that's how we're saved. And at some point, the Lord will come to set His house in order.

> TOPIC: The Mormon Prophet Said So, Is That Enough?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,