Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching - Page 17 of 23

I have always gotten my names through the - Page 17 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 12th May, 2004 - 1:00am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 23 pgs.  13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  ...Latest (23) »
Have You Done Yours?
9th May, 2004 - 10:59am / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching - Page 17

In my ward, it has been quite common in the past to not have a Visiting Teaching companion. I know you are supposed to, but there have been times when there just haven't been enough willing sisters to form companionships I guess or something.

Sponsored Links:
9th May, 2004 - 11:07am / Post ID: #

Teaching Home and Teaching Visiting

Yes, that happens here too, but when you go by yourself then it is a personal visit and not Visit Teaching since the Lord proclaimed that His work shall be done by at least two. I can tell you some horror stories of those who tried to do this on their own. It is good that you still try to keep in touch with them though because many use the 'not having a companion bit' to not visit.

9th May, 2004 - 4:21pm / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching Studies Doctrine Mormon

Hmm. I feel that it *is* a calling, but I don't want to quibble about it. I know we aren't set apart or anything, but we are blessed when we do our VT.

Yes, I thought that I should at least have a little bit of information before I go... are they inactive? Are they married or single or widowed etc? Kids at home? Unemployed? Ill? Disabled? I'll be talking to my VT supervisor before I make first contact, and find out what I can. If she doesn't know, I'll speak to the RS presidency.

Roz

9th May, 2004 - 5:02pm / Post ID: #

Page 17 Teaching Home and Teaching Visiting

Hmm. I feel that it *is* a calling, but I don't want to quibble about it. I know we aren't set apart or anything, but we are blessed when we do our VT.

Yes, I know what you mean, and the blessings are there, but to show the distinction let me use the Brethren as an example... when a home teacher receives an assignment to visit a specific family then he isn't called because he is already ordained to do it when he received the Priesthood thus he need not be called to do it. Another basic example... a Priesthood holder need not be called to bless the sacrament or called to baptized because they are already ordained to do these things. In callings you are given a specific blessing and task for which you may need permission for as in Elders Quorum President, Relief Society Counselor, Activities Chairperson etc as in these you are not ordained so you must be called. For Sisters it seems that when you became a member of Relief Society you were automatically accepted to do visiting teaching as it is part of your membership of this group. I know I seem to be rambling, but I think this is important because members in general (I am talking about you specifically) do not realize that as Sisters in RS and as Brethren in the Priesthood these visits are already our responsibility, we simply have to be told to whom we have responsibility over that is where the assignment comes in.

9th May, 2004 - 6:19pm / Post ID: #

Teaching Home and Teaching Visiting

Farseer, is it your ward so big that the Relief Society President or counselor could not have give you the assignment with the sister's name in person?.
Have you been a Visiting Teacher before?. It is very odd that they didn't assign you a companion!

11th May, 2004 - 12:11pm / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching

No, it's not that big of a ward, smaller than my last one. I didn't actually get to church yesterday, so I'll have to call and chat with one of them to find out what's up.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
11th May, 2004 - 9:14pm / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching - Page 17

I'm not very kean about the idea that they sent you the name of the sisters through the mail, if it was a huge ward, I would understand but I think that they should take the time to have an interview with you, know your situation and how you are doing and then ask you to visit those sisters in the list (with a little detail on who they are and stuff). I think it is extremely 'cold' to just send it through the mail undecided.gif . Visiting Teaching is calling of service and love and need to be treated as such.

Post Date: 12th May, 2004 - 1:00am / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching
A Friend

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 17

I have always gotten my names through the mail. This last time it actually had the name of my companion. We are a small branch, so this could have been done in Church. But it doesn't bother me to be receiving it in the mail.

At least I have it, and I immediately tape it on the wall above my computer. The one thing that got left out this time is the name of the sister I am to report to. I always call my RS President to ask about the sisters that are inactive, and I call our Branch Clerk to get directions to their homes. He knows where everyone lives, I think that man is a walking computer! smile.gif Quite often he can fill me in on the inactives too. Who doesn't want anyone coming to the house, who wants just letters, who wants to call us to set up an appointment. Yes I had one sister who did that. When her husband was out of town, then she would call and say ~ The coast is Clear and we would set up an appointment to meet at the Church. Couldn't meet at her house, the neighbors would tell her husband.

FarSeer, the Sister who sent the names to you just might have forgotten to type in your companions name. I would give her a call first before you call your RS President, unless of course it was the RS Pres. who sent it to you.

> TOPIC: Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,