Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching - Page 6 of 23

Here's one I came across not long ago.  I - Page 6 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 27th Sep, 2003 - 1:26pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 23 pgs.  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...Latest (23) »
Have You Done Yours?
26th Aug, 2003 - 1:04am / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching - Page 6

[quote]I once had a bishop who began temple recommend interviews by asking if you were diligent in doing your home/visiting teaching.  The interview was over if he found you to be lacking.  I don't know if it is an approved method, but it was effective.   [/quote]

Wow LOL I like that Bishop!!!! biggrin.gif you know, we could use his method right here in Trinidad! wink.gif I bet it was effective!!! smile.gif

[quote]It is similar to wether a Bishop thinks it is necessary to have a white shirt to bless the sacrament or if a yellow one can pass. There is no specific 'No' or 'Yes' on the topic  so it comes down to the Bishop's decision since he presides. [/quote]

Exactly and that's why I think that a Bishop should ask about Home Teaching and Visiting Teaching since is the basic on how we show fellowshipping and real love between our brothers and sisters. This is like somebody can answer 'Yes, I keep the word of wisdom, I don't even drink coke' but 'yeah, I have a sister in my list who is very ill but I didn't have yet the time to go and give her a blessing' :smile.gif

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 27th Aug, 2003 - 12:08am / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching
A Friend

Teaching Home and Teaching Visiting

I'm getting in very late on this discussion, but visiting teaching is one of those things that I have really struggled with.  I haven't always, but after some very negative experiences with visiting teaching I now do struggle with the whole thing.  That isn't to say that I don't allow my visiting teachers in or that I refuse to go visiting teaching.  I do both.  I just don't have a strong testimony of the program, sad to say. sad.gif

However, I've been in discussions on visiting/home teaching quite frequently on other church lists.  On one list I'm on a lady came up with the neatest little "promise" that I saved it and printed it out.  She has given permission to share it:

A Visiting Teacher's Promise

I promise I won't talk about me, my problems or my opinions.  I won't rattle on about the weather or the latest news.  I won't talk about my operations or medical problems, real or otherwise.  And I won't tell you about "friends" or family members whom you do not know and their problems and medical health.  I won't talk about my work, or that annoying co-worker that I am sure you must be able to relate to.  I won't talk about my house, pool and boat and trying to find Tommy Hilfiger socks in this town.  I won't tell you about how I need to lose 10 lbs because I "feel so fat at 120 lbs".  I won't tell you how my oldest son only got an 85% on his final math exam or how my daughter won the art contest.  And, I will NOT engage in a conversation with my VT partner and forget that you are even there.  And more than anything else, above all, I will NOT sit there in front of you and READ the lesson because very few people are aural learners and none of this will retain in your memory because you will be thinking of all the work you have left to do in the house and wishing I would finish and get out of your house.

HOWEVER......

I will get you talking about yourself.  Not "How are you?", but meaningful, open-ended questions, and if I see that you don't want to talk about your life, I will make sure you laugh and forget about your troubles for those moments I steal you away from your everyday life.  And the lesson?... well... you won't even know you had a lesson.  I will keep it in the back of my mind and when the opportunity presents itself (and it will, thanks to the Spirit), I will cleverl weave it into the conversation without you even knowing it.  But later, when you are alone, the Spirit will repeat it to you and you will say I am so glad my VT's came today.

27th Aug, 2003 - 1:45am / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching Studies Doctrine Mormon

[quote]I'm getting in very late on this discussion, but visiting teaching is one of those things that I have really struggled with.  I haven't always, but after some very negative experiences with visiting teaching I now do struggle with the whole thing.  That isn't to say that I don't allow my visiting teachers in or that I refuse to go visiting teaching.  I do both.  I just don't have a strong testimony of the program, sad to say. [/quote]

Maybe I can help wink.gif. I love doing my Visiting teaching and it took me a while to get a strong testimony about it..only when I was in real need of friends and good LDS sisters I remembered the importance of Visiting Teaching. Please let me know in what ways I can help you. smile.gif

Post Date: 30th Aug, 2003 - 1:52am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 6 Teaching Home and Teaching Visiting

Thank you for that poem about Visiting Teaching. I am going to share it with others who I know will get a kick out of it.

This Sunday we will have a tri-ward meeting to rezone and welcome all to our new *beautiful* stake center here in Council Bluffs, Iowa.

With growth comes change and new challenges. Hopefully all will swallow the pride and roll up their sleeves to "Let's all work to grow the ward".
Paula

Post Date: 16th Sep, 2003 - 5:19pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Teaching Home and Teaching Visiting

Well, since the dust has settled in our change of ward boundaries I now have a new calling: Visiting Teacher Leader". Guess He thought I needed a little honing. lol!

Paula  :flowers:

17th Sep, 2003 - 4:49pm / Post ID: #

[quote] Well, since the dust has settled in our change of ward boundaries I now have a new calling: Visiting Teacher Leader"[/quote]

Congratulations in your new calling Paula. I was sometime ago the Visiting Teacher Leader for my branch too, so if you need any tips feel free to ask wink.gif it was one of the nicest calling I ever had and the one that I was hated the most lol yeah, I was the 'evil' one calling the sisters every month and make sure they made their visits ;D

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 17th Sep, 2003 - 5:11pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching - Page 6

I use to be Compasssionate Service and I was the funeral/sick people/prepare a meal person. So I wasn't loved so much either sometimes... When I use to be in charge of missionary meals if the calendar didn't get filled I would sit down and call people as I knew some never saw the calendar. I loved filling it up!

27th Sep, 2003 - 1:26pm / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 6

Here's one I came across not long ago.  I would recommend reading the entire article.

[quote] JoAnn Jolley, "What I Learned about Compassion," Ensign, Mar. 1980, 26

Bearing another's burdens means being sensitive to every level of need-physical, emotional, and spiritual-and no giving is complete without some attention to each. I was grateful to the sweet sister who hurriedly left a freshly baked loaf of bread at my door. But how much more helpful it might have been if she had accompanied her get-well offering with the additional gift of herself! I wish she had known my longing for someone to weep with me, to laugh with me, to teach me, to love me through some of the griefs, pains, doubts, hopes, cares, and perplexities of life-if we could have sat together for only a little while-then the giving would have been complete and my day sweetened with her concern.[/quote]

Roz

> TOPIC: Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,