Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching - Page 10 of 23

Mss, I'm so happy to know you have - Page 10 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 15th Dec, 2003 - 2:35am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 23 pgs.  6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  ...Latest (23) »
Have You Done Yours?
13th Dec, 2003 - 11:15pm / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching - Page 10

Miss Shady said:

Ok, I'm still sorta new with the VT and I am sorta left with a few questions. I was talking with my companion and she was telling me that phone calls to the sisters on our list count as a 'visit' or if we see them in like Walmart or something, she counts it as a 'visit'.
Occasionally -- and I do mean really seldom -- it's okay to make a phone call if you absolutely cannot get to their homes, or if they for some reason are unable to schedule a time with you. But seeing someone in a store is *NOT* a visit!

But she never gets back to me. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining about my companion, but I am left wondering what I should do. 
First you need to talk to your VT supervisor. If you don't know who that is, contact your RS president. Let them know that you are having trouble connecting with your companion, and that maybe it would be better -- because she has such a busy schedule -- for you to be assigned with a different sister. Discuss your concerns about visiting by yourself for the first time. I'm sure they can help you with that.

One of the reasons for this thread is to help encourage us to actually do our VT and HT. Many members -- and it sounds like your "companion" is one of them -- don't take it seriously and don't do it regularly. But that's not the way our Heavenly Father wants us to treat our sisters. Discuss it with your leaders, and I'm sure you can get this resolved.

Good luck!
Roz

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 14th Dec, 2003 - 3:40am / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching
A Friend

Teaching Home and Teaching Visiting

Thanks for the pointers, Farseer. I will talk with my RS President after Church tomorrow and see what I can find out. I really appreciate the help and I really did think that the calling someone wasn't right or the running into them in a store was considered visiting either. I just really wanted someone to clear that up for me. wink.gif I am still eager to do my home visiting, though. ^^

14th Dec, 2003 - 3:40am / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching Studies Doctrine Mormon

Ok, I'm still sorta new with the VT and I am sorta left with a few questions. I was talking with my companion and she was telling me that phone calls to the sisters on our list count as a 'visit' or if we see them in like Walmart or something, she counts it as a 'visit'.

Sorry but your companion lives in the twilight zone laugh.gif A lot of sisters are so concern about whether it 'counts' or not that they forget the main purpose of VT is not whether it 'counts' or not but to nurture and help our sisters, each other. But if you want the answer technically, phone calls cannot replace the visit, it may be consider as a contact but not as a visit. Seeing them in Walmart? laugh.gif oh gosh, no! of course not!. How do you know whether you visited a sister or not? very easily. If the sister agrees you all visit her at her home, if she cannot then you all do it at the Church. You should start and finish with a prayer and present the message of VT for the month. How could I possible do this in Walmart?.Just remember that some sisters have a very interesting concept about VT, but really the word teaching is next to: Visiting...therefore, at least a visit is expected once a month.

Is it me, or does this just not sound right? I thought that VT were supposed to go out to the home and visit with the sisters on their list?

Exactly!!! your companion doesn't seem very excited about VT. You should contact your Relief Society President or VT leader. If both say the same thing that your companion told you, then contact the Bishop since he has the handbooks where these 'guideliness' are specified. After all, you want to do it in the right way, for the right reasons. smile.gif

My companion is quite younger than me and very busy with her college studies, but when I call to find out what her schedule is, she says, 'it's sorta busy right now' and tells me that she'll get back to me on when we can go out to do our visits. But she never gets back to me. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining about my companion, but I am left wondering what I should do

Talk with your Relief Society President and ask her to put you with another sister who is not that busy.

Is it possible for me to do my visits alone? But with me never being out to visit anyone yet, I am really at a loss as to what to do or say while I'm visiting. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thx.

No, you should not do the visits alone. Mainly because of safety reasons, but also because you're supposed to do it in pairs (just like the missionaries). Remember that when you VT you're representing the Church 'officially'. Please ask any more questions you may have. God bless.

Post Date: 14th Dec, 2003 - 4:21am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 10 Teaching Home and Teaching Visiting

Thanks for the advice, LDS. I wasn't for sure about the VT being done alone. Personally, I would rather have my VT come to my home. It would show me that they took the time and cared enough about coming out to my home to visit with me. (I know the wording sounds harsh, but I found a difficult time trying to find the right words.) A visit would mean so much more personal than a phone call or running into someone at Walmart. Because you would take the time out of your day to spend an hour or so visiting with a sister from the Church. Who may really want a visit or what not. Know what I mean? I'm sorta grasping at words at the moment. I'm reading over this and sounds harsh, but I'm not meaning it to be. Just can't seem to find the right words.

I will talk with my RS President after Church tomorrow and see what she says. Hopefully, she will either find a way to remedy the situation or pair me up with a Sister that wants to go out visiting. I was and still am excited about being able to do my visiting.

Post Date: 14th Dec, 2003 - 5:15am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Teaching Home and Teaching Visiting

I wish I had any or all you for my VT! I have never had mine in my house yet and I have been re-activated for over four years now. My RS Pres. and Branch Pres. tell me to be patient. I don't want patience, I was a real home visit. Prayers, spiritual message and all!

Msslmshdy since both you and Shady are members, if you get stood up by your companion and you have appointments already with your Sisters, rather than cancelling on the Sisters, Shady can go with you. That way you don't go alone.

14th Dec, 2003 - 3:52pm / Post ID: #

Good luck Miss Shady smile.gif And don't get discouraged if it isn't resolved right away. Obviously I don't know your RS Pres, but I do know some are more efficient than others. Just keep pestering her every week, if you have to, until it gets handled.

AGene... I know what you mean. I really love my VT visits smile.gif And I miss them if they can't get to see me or we have trouble with schedules. I would love to come visit with you!

I have gone VT alone -- no one ever told me I couldn't. I know the Home Teachers have to go to single sisters with a companion -- I don't know about married family visits. At any rate, it is better to have your companion.

Roz

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 14th Dec, 2003 - 8:16pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching - Page 10

AGene, that is a really good idea. ^^ I will have to look into that further and see what I can turn up.

Farseer, my RS President wasn't there today, but I did get her phone number to call her and possibly set up meeting with her and discussing it with her. (I would rather talk to her about it in person than over the phone anyway.)

But I won't give up. Because I really do look forward to visiting. I really enjoy the sisters that come to visit with me in my home. So I can only hope that the sisters on my list would enjoy me coming to visit with them as well. ^^

15th Dec, 2003 - 2:35am / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 10

Mss, I'm so happy to know you have such a concern about your sisters, that shows a lot of love from your part, Heavenly Father will bless you for being so caring. smile.gif

Agene, I live in Trinidad but who knows...this world is so small, one day I may become your Visiting Teacher! smile.gif I know how you may feel and it hurts me because I know we have so many sisters out there who need a visit, a spiritual conection and that's why some sisters in the Church think I'm a Visiting Teaching 'freak' but I'm not, I just think this is what the Church should be all about, caring and nurturing one another.

One of my Visiting Teachers is the Relief Society President, she's awesome and her companion too. I enjoy every time they come home. This is the first time I have VT for a longgg time.

> TOPIC: Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,