Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching - Page 12 of 23

I have been re-reading all of the posts, and - Page 12 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 19th Jan, 2004 - 5:56pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 23 pgs.  8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ...Latest (23) »
Have You Done Yours?
2nd Jan, 2004 - 6:49pm / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching - Page 12

I think we waste so much time in Church preaching to sisters and answering them what it 'counts' as a Visit or what it doesn't count that we lose the Spirit of teaching what Visiting Teaching is really all about. Why as LDS members cannot found true love in our hearts to fellowship? sad.gif Did you all wonder that? I was thinking that the other day, I think our Church is the True Church without any doubt but the one in my opinion who do not profess true love for each other in deeds, yes in words. And then we stand up on the pulpit and say 'I love you all', what a hypocresy.
Anyhow, I just wanted to say that wink.gif my latin blood always comes up on this subject laugh.gif. I was the Visiting Teaching Leader in my last branch, I was called 'The monster' by some sisters, yep....I nag them all the time to get the reports on time, I also had monthly interviews with them about the progress on Visiting Teaching and by doing that, I found LOTS of sister who purposely lied about their visits and they reported they have been visiting a certain number of sisters and when they have not, I knew it because I found out, I followed it up, I called the same sisters they said they visited and the sisters told them they never did, so basically I know they were lieing so my next step was talk with the Branch President to make sure he could have a worthiness interview with them. I did my best but you all will not believe how many sisters on my face told me they have done the visits when they have not. sad.gif In my opinion, if people are so cynical to lie in this way, then there are more things going on in their lives. I don't see the need to lie in something like that!

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 2nd Jan, 2004 - 6:52pm

Sponsored Links:
2nd Jan, 2004 - 7:00pm / Post ID: #

Teaching Home and Teaching Visiting

Wow, LDS, I am surprised at this. Now, with AGene's experience as well, it seems this must be a problem that is not just in Trinidad. I agree with you, how can one lie about something related to Church. Seems to me like the Lord would especially look "down" on this kind of behavior. I know he will forgive us of all of our sins, if we repent, but don't you think the way you conduct yourself with Church business is a very good reflection on your sincerity towards the gospel?!?!?

I think we waste so much time in Church preaching to sisters and answering them what it 'counts' as a Visit or what it doesn't count that we lose the Spirit of teaching what Visiting Teaching is really all about. Why as LDS members cannot found true love in our hearts to fellowship?

As long as the Church insists on keeping records of this type, we will focus on the numbers more than on the people. I know my visiting teacher and I are good friends and see each other several times every month as friends, but she still needs to visit me and deliver the VT message in order for the statistic to show that I was VT for the month. She is a great person, in fact, she is the Stake RS President, but she really is aware that she always gets 100% visits. To the point that sometimes she really insists on coming to visit me even if it isn't convenient for me so that she can get 100% for the month. Since she is such a good friend, I accomodate her and let her come even if it isn't convenient because this isn't the only contact we have each month. We see each other at least once week as friends and sometimes more, yet that VT statistic is important.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 2nd Jan, 2004 - 7:05pm

2nd Jan, 2004 - 7:24pm / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching Studies Doctrine Mormon

but don't you think the way you conduct yourself with Church business is a very good reflection on your sincerity towards the gospel?!?!?

Of course!!!!!

As long as the Church insists on keeping records of this type, we will focus on the numbers more than on the people.

I don't think the problem is keeping records the problem is developing true love for each other...that's the problem our Church is facing in my opinion.

I know my visiting teacher and I are good friends and see each other several times every month as friends, but she still needs to visit me and deliver the VT message in order for the statistic to show that I was VT for the month.

Well, I had this issue when I was a VT leader. A sister was telling how she was such a great friend of one of the sisters she was assigned to visit so she always report that she visited her until I found out that those visits were only social ones. No companion, no prayer, no message. Now some people wonder why is such a big deal, it is because a Visiting Teacher is representing officially the Church every time they visit somebody. In this case your friend delivers a message which is the proper way to do it and I also assume she comes with her companion and also open and close with a prayer?.

Yes, stadistics are important for a lot of reasons.....sometimes I just feel we treat 'souls' as just 'mere' numbers. sad.gif

2nd Jan, 2004 - 7:33pm / Post ID: #

Page 12 Teaching Home and Teaching Visiting

My friend comes with her companion when she has one. Frequently, she doesn't. For example, right now she is companionless. Yes, we always have prayer and she gives me the message. To me, otherwise it is not VT. That is what I have tried to say when a coordinator in the past has tried to use one of my social visits as a VT. If I didn't deliver the spiritual message then it wasn't VT.

I don't think the problem is keeping records the problem is developing true love for each other...that's the problem our Church is facing in my opinion.

I agree with you. The trouble is, though, that people who are less than perfect (which we all are) are aware that this statistic is going to be reported and so they sometimes lose sight of the purpose of VT or Home Teaching and only see the number that is being reported! Of course, if nothing was being reported, these people might never visit so in some cases because the Church collects this information, more people are visited than would otherwise.

I do think though that if we are going to go to all the trouble of collecting this information, then more should be done with it. If you don't regularly visit your assigned sisters or families, should you hold callings of responsibility within your ward? Should these people assigned to you be assigned to someone else who will visit and have it been done in such a way that the person not doing the visiting is made aware of why the change is being made and maybe they are assigned someone else to visit with the understanding that it is another chance to do what the Lord wants?

I don't know if any of this would do any good. They are just my thoughts.

2nd Jan, 2004 - 7:47pm / Post ID: #

Teaching Home and Teaching Visiting

If you don't regularly visit your assigned sisters or families, should you hold callings of responsibility within your ward?

I had a case like that of a sister holding a leadership position but not doing visiting teaching at all, one of my district leaders said she has to have a worthines interview with the Branch President but ooops....the Branch President was her husband at that time. laugh.gif

19th Jan, 2004 - 1:11am / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching

We had a great Visiting Teaching Conference at the Enrichment night on Thursday. The RS presidency we have are so sweet and concerned about the sisters in the ward, and are so compassionate. I love how they encouraged and uplifted us to do our calling as VTs, no scolding or finger-pointing. Apparently there was a leadership broadcast about a month ago regarding VT, and so our conference reflected the concepts and ideas brought out on the broadcast. Here are the main points:

1. Accept the calling -- realize that it IS a calling and not just something you're asked to do. Magnify your calling.

2. Visit the sisters -- don't count seeing them in church or the store as a visit in the home. Start with prayer, end with prayer, even with inactive sisters.

3. Give the actual message, even to inactive sisters. Listen to the Spirit, and share the part of the message that you feel is most appropriate for your sisters.

4. Teach by the Spirit. Pray for inspiration to reach the sisters who especially need to hear the message, or perhaps just need you to listen to them.

5. "Watch-Care" -- this is a new word or term that embodies our duty to our sisters. Watch over them and truly Care for them. Find out what is going on in their lives, be truly interested in them. If there is a need, be sure to find a way to serve them and help them with that need.

Several of the sisters in leadership positions bore their testimony and shared experiences they had had with VT in the past that had really made a difference in someone's life. I came away from the meeting feeling so refreshed and heartened by their love for each of us.

Roz

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
19th Jan, 2004 - 12:49pm / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching - Page 12

2. Visit the sisters -- don't count seeing them in church or the store as a visit in the home. Start with prayer, end with prayer, even with inactive sisters.

3. Give the actual message, even to inactive sisters. Listen to the Spirit, and share the part of the message that you feel is most appropriate for your sisters.

I think these two items need to be the ideal goal, but remember, that you must always ask permission to pray in someone's home. It is their home and they have the right to say no. We are supposed to ask even in an active members home.

As far as the message, it depends on the inactive sister. It is definately best to deliver a spiritual message because it may be the only spiritual thought in that home all month. However, if they sister will let you visiit, but doesn't want more than a social visit, this is better than nothing. You can develop a friendship and "slip" in some spiritual thoughts without them even knowing it even if it isn't the message of the month.

Post Date: 19th Jan, 2004 - 5:56pm / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching
A Friend

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 12

I have been re-reading all of the posts, and it is apparent that Visiting Teaching and Home Teaching is not being done properly ~ world wide. Why? What is the common denominator? I believe it is because we are not Set Apart in this calling.

In all other callings we are Set Apart by the Ward Bishopric/ Branch Presidency, or Stake Presidency, etc. Yet we are not Set Apart as Visiting/Home Teachers. Why?
Without the special blessing that being Set Apart gives us we would be greatly hindered in our efforts to do our various callings AND to magnify them.

Has this always been so? Not being Set Apart as V/H Teachers? Or did they (the Brethern) stop doing it? Am I alone in thinking that we should be Set Apart?

> TOPIC: Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,