Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching - Page 13 of 23

tena said:QUOTE I just think, if someone decides - Page 13 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 21st Jan, 2004 - 8:17pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 23 pgs.  9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  ...Latest (23) »
Have You Done Yours?
19th Jan, 2004 - 8:54pm / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching - Page 13

I think that's a poor excuse (the fact that members do not do home and visiting teachin g properly because they're not set apart). I do not know the reasons why we are not set apart but I think it could be that we as followers of Christ and followers of the covenants we have made when we were baptized, it should be natural to love and care about our sister's needs (because ALL our sisters have needs, specially the less active ones) nobody should feel forced or obligated to do something just because 'its our calling', it should be done because we care about each other and we want to help those who are less fortunate and those that Heavenly Father asked us to take care of. Therefore, I don't think that setting apart will do much difference....just like Peter and Paul in the scriptures, we need to be 'converted' into the Gospel, only then the natural feeling will come to us and we will do what we are suppose to do without nobody telling us 'we have to'.

Sponsored Links:
20th Jan, 2004 - 2:58am / Post ID: #

Teaching Home and Teaching Visiting

I think we are not set apart as VT because it's just expected of us to do this particular service. It's so unfortunate that actually doing the HT/VT-ing has become such a "back burner" item for many members. One of the most "popular" primary hymns is "Love One Another" -- but do we really? I think it's difficult for many members to feel real love --let alone that truly Christ-like love -- for others, and it's very sad to know that. But it's also a sign of the Last Days -- "the love of men shall wax cold..."

IMO
Roz

Post Date: 20th Jan, 2004 - 2:36pm / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching
A Friend

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching Studies Doctrine Mormon

Being on the (gasp) inactive list really doesn't mean you have leprosy, but sometimes I think our tiny brains tend to label people that way. After moving into so many wards and experiencing all levels of visiting teaching and home teaching, I say hunt them down. Sometimes visitng teachers just don't know where to begin. If you're inactive, they don't see you at church to say hello. They never see your kids or hear of your opinions in Gospel Doctrine class. Sometimes, it just gets the ball rolling if you call them first. I know it's not really common practice, but who's to say we can't initiate? Quite often they have perfectly legitimate reasons (?) for not showing up month after month. Many times they just need a spiritual kick in the rear.

21st Jan, 2004 - 2:04pm / Post ID: #

Page 13 Teaching Home and Teaching Visiting

pattyditz said:

Many times they just need a spiritual kick in the rear.
Well said, Sister smile.gif

I don't recall *ever* having a VT come to see me or even call or write in the entire 20 years I was inactive. Of course, I moved a lot during that time, but I know that my records followed me because of my large, very active, extended family keeping tabs on me.

But this teaches me to reach out to even the most inactive of sisters, even those who don't wish personal contact.

Roz

21st Jan, 2004 - 2:16pm / Post ID: #

Teaching Home and Teaching Visiting

But this teaches me to reach out to even the most inactive of sisters, even those who don't wish personal contact.

I think it is fine to reach out, but be aware of their wishes. If they don't want contact, you need to respect that. It is their right to choose.

I am curious. Would you have wanted or allowed VT during you period of inactivity? I have known both. Most, though have not really wanted visits. I respect those who tell you to leave them alone more than I do those who either won't return your calls, or even worse, make appointments and then just aren't home when you arrive. This is rude.

I know this probably won't be a popular opinion, but I think I would rather see resources spent on those who want visits than fighting to see those who don't. Many sisters each month are not visited who want and need visits.

I am not saying don't visit inactives. I am saying don't visit inactives that don't want to be visited. If everyone were good about visiting those assigned this would be less of an issue.

Another thing I would like to see. If you have a sister who has just joined or one who is especially in need of visits because of some difficulty they may be experiencing, make sure the sister(s) assigned to visit them are sisters who regularly do their VT.

Just all my opinion. Probably a good example of why I am not in charge. smile.gif

21st Jan, 2004 - 2:38pm / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching

I think it is fine to reach out, but be aware of their wishes. If they don't want contact, you need to respect that. It is their right to choose.

I am curious. Would you have wanted or allowed VT during you period of inactivity?
I do understand that we need to tread carefully when inactive members request "no contact." But even during my "worst" inactivity, I would have appreciated a card or a note on a regular basis -- just to know someone cared. It might have made a difference.

There is a man in my ward who recently became active again, and why? Because of a faithful VT who sent cards and the VT message each and every month to *his wife*. Now, the wife is not active yet, but here is a fine man who is preparing to go to the temple -- all because of his wife's visiting teacher.

Roz

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
21st Jan, 2004 - 2:46pm / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching - Page 13

It does work. No doubt. However, I wonder statistically how often. I guess for me it is just a matter of where to focus. In a perfect world, we would all do our VT and then everyone would get the full benefit.

I can understand you might want to know someone cares, but if you moved frequently, these people didn't ever even get a chance to meet you. I understand they should have made the effort. I agree they should have made the effort. Yet, in the end, it really didn't matter. You came back anyway, on your own, because it was the right thing to do. I guess, part of how I feel is that we are all responsible for our own salvation. This is true for those who choose to walk away as well as those who are active. I was inactive for 12 1/2 years so I don't think it is that I am being unfairly harsh. I just think, if someone decides to leave, why should they get more attention than they would have gotten if they decided to stay?

Now, there are always signs that someone is going to walk away. Perhaps that is the time to be sure that person has a dedicated VT who will continue to visit even if this member leaves. This way the relationship can be developed before the period of inactivity begins. Then it is not as likely to be awkard to continue to visit with this person when they are inactive. They can have developed a friendship already. Of course, this won't work for someone who moves into another area, but if a good relationship has been developed with this inactive sister, then when they move the RS President or the "old" VT can contact the new RS President and fill them in on this sister. Kind of pave the way.

21st Jan, 2004 - 8:17pm / Post ID: #

Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 13

tena said:

I just think, if someone decides to leave, why should they get more attention than they would have gotten if they decided to stay?

"10 Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God;
11 For, behold, the Lord your Redeemer suffered death in the flesh; wherefore he suffered the pain of all men, that all men might repent and come unto him.
12 And he hath risen again from the dead, that he might bring all men unto him, on conditions of repentance.
13 And how great is his joy in the soul that repenteth!
14 Wherefore, you are called to cry repentance unto this people.
15 And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!
16 And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me!"

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 18:10 - 16)

And:

"31 And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine.
32 It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found."

(New Testament | Luke 15:31 - 32)

I *do* understand your point -- why waste our time? And I know I share that feeling sometimes, too. But it is given to us to do what we can to bring them back. Yes, I did come back on my own, but how much quicker might that have happened if someone had reached out to me when I first began to feel that I *should* go back? It took me over two years to get up the courage to actually go to church again.

Roz

Reconcile Edited: FarSeer on 21st Jan, 2004 - 8:20pm

> TOPIC: Visiting Teaching & Home Teaching

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,