Are Mormons Born Again?

Are Mormons Born Again - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 6th Apr, 2014 - 2:18pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
14th Dec, 2008 - 8:36pm / Post ID: #

Are Mormons Born Again?

As you all know I have assigned myself as part of the pentecostal movement which consistantly focuses on Christ's teaching of being born again. Do Mormons see themselves as being born again?

Sponsored Links:
15th Dec, 2008 - 5:44pm / Post ID: #

Again Born Mormons Are

We believe that man must be born again, in order to enter the Kingdom of Heaven, and that no man is justified before God until he does this. We believe that no one, in and of themselves, can return to the Father without the Sacrifice of Jesus Christ. If fact we are helpless without the Savior, and must rely wholly on his power to save to help us become better individuals.

From Alma 7:14 in the book of Mormon.

14 Now I say unto you that ye must repent, and be born again; for the Spirit saith if ye are not born again ye cannot inherit the kingdom of heaven; therefore come and be baptized unto repentance, that ye may be washed from your sins, that ye may have faith on the Lamb of God, who taketh away the sins of the world, who is mighty to save and to cleanse from all unrighteousness.

Mosiah 27: 25
  25 And the Lord said unto me: Marvel not that all mankind, yea, men and women, all nations, kindreds, tongues and people, must be born again; yea, born of God, changed from their carnal and fallen state, to a state of righteousness, being redeemed of God, becoming his sons and daughters;

We believe that being born again is a necessary part of receiving communion with God. God requires us to be pure and spotless, in order for us to someday live with him. We cannot do this because of our sins and weaknesses. Only through Jesus Christ can we be sanctified and perfected, to meet with our God, or as Mosiah said "changed from" our "carnal and fallen state, to a state of righteousness, being redeemed of God". We have no power to do this on our own.

Alma 5: 14, 19
  14 And now behold, I ask of you, my brethren of the church, have ye spiritually been born of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts?

It is the goal of every Member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter saints (or it should be), to be born again, to take upon him the name of Christ.

17th Dec, 2008 - 5:59am / Post ID: #

Are Mormons Born Again? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Being born again for Mormons involves a change of heart and acceptance of Christ at what point?

22nd Dec, 2008 - 6:24pm / Post ID: #

Again Born Mormons Are

Revival

Being born again for Mormons involves a change of heart and acceptance of Christ at what point?

That is an interesting question Revival, one I have had to think about.

Being born implies a beginning, that there is much more growth that must occur in a disciples life after he has converted to the cause of Christ. Paul explained this in 1 Corinthians 13 9-13

9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
  10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
  11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
  12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
  13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity

No matter our level of spirituality that we believe we have now, the Lord has much more in store for the believer. So being born again means a beginning to the journey. We are born again each time we put off our sinful natures through the atonement of Christ, and we are born again as we draw closer to the Savior (or more accurately the Savior draws us to him when we accept him and covenant to follow him).

Being Born Again, to a Latter Day Saint is a very personal experience and happens to each individual at different times, and by different degrees. One may be fully converted to Christ and do everything he or she can to testify of the divinity of Christ and his role as redeemer, Savior and King. He has been born again in a sense that he has move from a casual believer to a disciple (through the covenant of Baptism and receiving the Holy Ghost). The Lord verifies to the individual that he has been born again and gives him a personal and undying testimony of the mission of Christ.

Alma 5: 46
  46 Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God. Behold, I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself. And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit; and this is the spirit of revelation which is in me.

God reveals to a person when he has been accepted of God and has been "Born Again." and can happen to all who sincerely search for the truth.

27th Dec, 2008 - 2:48pm / Post ID: #

Again Born Mormons Are

Works are essential for Mormons to feel they are born again. Born again is about the acceptance of Christ in your life. There is nothing you or I can do to be saved. Only Christ can save us.

27th Dec, 2008 - 6:31pm / Post ID: #

Are Mormons Born Again?

Works are essential for Mormons to feel they are born again

More like our deeds are a direct reflection (consequence) of the Change of heart that Christ has given us. We cannot bring to pass this change of heart, as it is only a result of our Savior Jesus Christ's sacrifice and our letting him be a part of our lives.

The thought that it is our works that save us is perhaps the biggest misinterpretation of LDS doctrine out there. We hold that the reason we are born again, through the atonement of Jesus Christ, is so that He can in fact change us from the corrupt and sinful Christian to a loving and someday perfected (though most likely not in this life) Christian. Christ wants us to be perfect someday and has commanded it in the Bible that we become such.

Matt. 5: 48
  48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

This is a pretty implicit directive, and one that can only be brought about by the Savior.

Even Paul acknowledges that Faith, though important, is not the most important attribute a Christian can have.

1 Cor. 13:13

And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity(feelings and acts of love toward our fellow man).

Therefore our change of heart must lead to something and not be an end in itself. It must lead to love of our fellow man and of God, without these qualities we are nothing (see 1 Cor 13:2).

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
2nd Jan, 2009 - 2:48pm / Post ID: #

Are Mormons Born Again

QUOTE (revival @ 27-Dec 08, 8:48 AM)
Works are essential for Mormons to feel they are born again.

I hate to say it, but your words show a very shallow understanding of what Mormons believe. It is a common point of view, but hardly touches true LDS beliefs.

Born again is about the acceptance of Christ in your life.

That is one interpretation. It is historically a very recent interpretation of the New Testament message.

There is nothing you or I can do to be saved. Only Christ can save us.

Again, one interpretation. However, it is an interpretation that agrees with LDS doctrine.

We do expect to be involved in many works. We believe our ordinances are necessary for various blessings. We believe that actions speak much louder than words.

At the same time, we fully recognize that even if a person does all the "works" associated with Mormonism, yet have not come to Christ, they are lost. At the same time, we also recognize that if a person just "comes to Christ" without any actions, that indicates that they do not really have faith.

Mormonism (to me) is about becoming something. Repentance means change. Not change in the sense of the recent US election mantras, but true, personal, complete change. That does not come through simple "acceptance" of Christ, but through a complete change in a person's life, aided and enabled by the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

But this also brings us to a little discussion about the word "saved". Does it mean salvation from death and hell? Does it refer to any other specific blessings granted by our Father in Heaven?

The Atonement saves all mankind from death, as it provides resurrection for all. It also provides a way for all mankind to escape Hell. It provides a gateway for individuals to not only escape Hell, but to receive the greatest blessings that God has reserved for us.

Now, back to the original question.
Do Mormons see themselves as being born again?

Jesus said, in John 3: 5, "5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."

We believe that we are "born of water" when we are baptized, taking upon ourselves the name of Christ, and covenanting with Him to obey his commandments, so that He can, and will, grant His Spirit to be with us.

We believe that we are "born of the Spirit" when we are confirmed and given the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and when we actually change our lives to the point that we receive this Gift.

So, yes, we believe we are "born again."

6th Apr, 2014 - 2:18pm / Post ID: #

Are Mormons Born Again Mormon Doctrine Studies

By Evangelical standards, born again means to accept Jesus Christ as your Savior and Redeemer. What it means to be born again from an LDS perspective?

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Are Mormons Born Again?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,