Forgive but do not forget - Page 3 of 3

I believe it is important to determine what - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 23rd Jul, 2007 - 5:54pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 30th Sep, 2003 - 8:42pm / Post ID: #

Forgive but do not forget
A Friend

Forgive but do not forget - Page 3

Sure glad you explained the "forget" part.  I was abused from birth until at 13 I told him if he touched me again I would kill him.  He left me alone.  Many years later he came to me to ask forgiveness.  I was able to tell him that I forgave him a long time ago.  When I told my sister he had come to me - she said she would never forgive him.  I reminded her that she had to forgive him if she wanted to go back to Heavenly Father's presence.  She fasted and prayed about it and when he came to her to ask for forgiveness she was able to say "yes."  There are still some memories but they are not part of my life.  He unfortunately was unable to forgive himself and took his own life.  Miss him.

Abuse at my mother's mouth was hard for me to forgive.  When I was finally able to let go of all the heartache and hurt - most of the bad memories left too.  I was able to treat my daughter in a better manner and hopefully she had a better experience than I did.

Forgiveness - was a wonderful blessing for all of us - on either end of story.

Patty

Sponsored Links:
30th Sep, 2003 - 9:05pm / Post ID: #

forget do Forgive

Wow, that is a sad story, you had the ultimate test of forgiveness and I am glad to know that you came out on top. We have a thread that speaks about the same thing you talked about above here.

30th Sep, 2003 - 11:48pm / Post ID: #

Forgive but do not forget Studies Doctrine Mormon

Patty, thank you so much for sharing your story with us. It really touched my heart and I admire you even though I don't know you for your great heart, love and courage. I know myself, and I don't think I could have done what you did.  Your story is a great example for this thread. Thanks again. smile.gif

13th Oct, 2003 - 8:29pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 forget do Forgive

So easy to say, so difficult to do...

"Don't carry the burden of offense any longer. Genuinely ask forgiveness
of one that has offended you, even when you consider you have done no
wrong.  That effort will assuredly bring you peace and will likely begin the
healing of serious misunderstandings.
"

(Richard G. Scott, "To Be Free of Heavy Burdens," Ensign, Nov. 2002, 88)

Post Date: 16th Sep, 2005 - 7:51pm / Post ID: #

forget do Forgive

"Sometimes we just lose our focus and drift away. Sometimes we have our feelings hurt or some other problem occurs. It all ends up the same, and we fail to claim the blessings that can be ours. Pride, distrust, deceit, discouragement, and many kinds of sin can be removed by a change in our hearts and by following the path that the Savior has shown us. . . .

The Savior has paid our ransom. He loves each of us and reaches out to all who will come and follow Him."

-- Elder Ned B. Roueche, "Feed My Sheep," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 30

23rd Jul, 2007 - 5:54pm / Post ID: #

Forgive but do not forget

I believe it is important to determine what is required in the forgiveness of others against us.

From American Heritage Dictionary

Forgive
1. To excuse for a fault or an offense; pardon.
2. To renounce anger or resentment against.
3. To absolve from payment of (a debt, for example).

We cannot grant pardon for sins, or pay completely the debts for these sins. Only Christ can do this through his atonement.

We are required to renounce anger or resentment against those that have trespassed against us. I believe this is what the Savior means when he says forgive others

As to sins against ourselves, when we truly forgive ourselves we should let go of the resentment that we have felt because of our guilt. We cannot pay the debts that we have incurred through our sins, but we can start to allow the forgiveness and love given by our Savior, to erase the resentment that has taken place in us.

Reconcile Message Edited...
LDS_forever: Please learn how to use quote tags. Thanks.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Forgive but do not forget

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,