Mighty Prayer - what is it? - Page 2 of 3

Experiences with 'mighty prayer' are sacred - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 30th Sep, 2003 - 8:03am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
28th Sep, 2003 - 11:33am / Post ID: #

Mighty Prayer - what is it? - Page 2

Nighthawk said:

A couple of them explained that as they experienced the "mighty change" or the baptism of fire, they assumed an even more humble position, feeling almost forced into laying on their stomachs with their hands outstretched, in an attitude of supplication.  This happened when they reached a point of abject contrition, similar (in type, not intensity) to what Alma experienced.

I brings to mind the many, many instances in the scriptures that say "he fell on his face and prayed" or similar words to that effect.

Also plenty of "going up to the mountain" or "out in the wilderness" to pray their especially important prayers.

I've also heard/read somewhere that in the absence of temples, mountain tops can serve as temples. Jesus' transfiguration on the mount, Moses and Mount Sinai, etc.

In my opinion
Roz

P.S. I've always felt that the folded arms during prayer was a helpful focus. A way to contain myself. Perhaps what is needed is to "un" contain myself. Hmmm.

Sponsored Links:
28th Sep, 2003 - 2:15pm / Post ID: #

it what Prayer Mighty

I've also heard/read somewhere that in the absence of temples, mountain tops can serve as temples.

Yes, but what if temples are the substitute for the mountain tops. ;D

After all, not a lot of us have the physical stamina, time, or willpower to climb to the top of Mt. Timpanogos or Mt. Olympus (two prominent mountains along the Wasatch front). Nor, if we do make that climb, are we likely to have the privacy we would need to make it a truly sacred experience.

I've always felt that the folded arms during prayer was a helpful focus.  A way to contain myself.  Perhaps what is needed is to "un" contain myself.  Hmmm.

That may be an excellent way to view it.

IMO, various churches (this did not start with our church) taught their children to fold their arms or clasp hands, etc, to keep busy little hands from being too busy during the prayer. I know that quite a few times in the last 18 years, I have had to grab little hands and help them to fold their arms so that they wouldn't be hitting their brothers and sisters, drumming on the table, playing with toys, ....

NigthHawk

28th Sep, 2003 - 4:48pm / Post ID: #

Mighty Prayer - what is it? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Some of my personal experiences in strong-prayers or mighty prayers came in the simplicity of sharing to Heavenly Father my feelings, to let him take away my burdens...to allow him being part of my problems. This doesn't really happens as often as I would like to, I don't personally fold my arms while I pray, I bow my head, close my eyes, my hands are down with my fingers interlock.

28th Sep, 2003 - 7:55pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 it what Prayer Mighty

Sometimes I wish I had more time to post my thoughts, but here is what will some up my thoughts on this subject...

Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not
what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh
intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
8:27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the
Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the
will of God.

When prayer has reached a point that we no longer 'say' words, because there are no right words (Spirit also helpeth our infirmities) then we are given the Spirit which guides us (Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered) in a way that will even touch God. Notice the emphasis on 'groanings which cannot be uttered'.

It is all based on our heart more than anything we could say or do (he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit) as it is more important that we know how to receive the answer when we have sent our 'groanings'.

Something to think about... I cannot say more on it, too sacred.

29th Sep, 2003 - 3:58pm / Post ID: #

it what Prayer Mighty

Maybe the state of mighty prayer is more closely reached when we just let ourselves go and fully place ourselves in Heavenly Father's care.  Not just when we say our morning or evening prayers because it is time to do that (and I believe this is important to do - pray each morning and night) but when we are really in need of help and we just fully turn our lives over to Heavenly Father, acknowledge our "desperation," and plead for help.

In my case any way, I know my prayers are more powerfully answered (at least I recognize it more) when I have come to a point where I just can't go on if I don't get help from above.  Perhaps this is what mighty prayer is more than just length of prayer, etc.  

I don't know, I pray daily, but sometimes it is more routine than at others.  When I am really in need of help spiritually or otherwise, I think my prayers are more powerful or mighty in my mind anyway.  And.....they are always answered when I reach the point of desperation too, which makes them more powerful in my mind!

29th Sep, 2003 - 6:02pm / Post ID: #

Mighty Prayer - what is it?

Maybe the state of mighty prayer is more closely reached when we just let ourselves go and fully place ourselves in Heavenly Father's care.

Thank you very much. This may be the best answer I have seen anywhere. At least it makes more sense to me than most.

Do you feel that you can reach this state of 'need' by yourself? Or do you have to be driven to it?

Personally, I want to reach the state wherein I can get these types of answers on my own, without waiting for outside circumstances to drive me. I guess that I am thinking of Enos' prayer, where he appeared to have brought himself to the situation rather than Alma's prayer, where he had to be driven to that state by the angel of the Lord.

NightHawk

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
29th Sep, 2003 - 6:20pm / Post ID: #

Mighty Prayer what it - Page 2

Do you feel that you can reach this state of 'need' by yourself?  Or do you have to be driven to it?
NightHawk

I really wish I could get there more often by myself. Truth is I usually have to be driven to it! In fact, I am not sure but what the honest answer for me might be I always seem to have to be driven to it.

This is truly something I am working on. My natural tendancy is to just take care of everything myself. I am a strong person by nature. Yet recently, I have been driven frequently to the point where I just can't make it without help from Heaven Father, and, though I am not grateful for the experiences driving me there, I am grateful for the strengthened testimony I have received each and every time I have gotten to the point of full and complete trust and reliance on Heavenly Father. It is amazing to me to see just how much he does love me and how involved in my life he is willing to be on a daily basis. Now.

If I could just learn to be more fully reliant upon him without the deperation. smile.gif

Post Date: 30th Sep, 2003 - 8:03am / Post ID: #

Mighty Prayer - what is it?
A Friend

Mighty Prayer what it Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

Experiences with 'mighty prayer' are sacred and fortify our testimonies, a spirit to spirit communication with the Father that is from the heart. The revelation received is for our benefit and enlightens the mind.

I wish these experiences were more often than they sometimes are, unfortunately at times our mortal infirmities cause us to distance our selves from this type of personal relationship with the Almighty.

Rest assured the Father hears our prayers, and at times, answers and communes with us directly and powerfully.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Mighty Prayer - what is it?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,