It Is OK For Mormons To Drink Tea? - Page 5 of 8

Growing up in the south we drank Sweet Tea....black - Page 5 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 16th Oct, 2009 - 7:52pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Early Mormon settlers used ephedra
6th Apr, 2008 - 11:52am / Post ID: #

It Is OK For Mormons To Drink Tea? - Page 5

kenzeiakiro:

why does Our Heavenly Father commands or warns us not to partake "hot drinks"

Because Doctrine and Covenants 89 specifically state that they are not good for the "body or belly".

and so Hyrum Smith interprets it that God is pertaining to Coffee and Tea only by what circumstances does the Coffee and Tea was the only considered "hot drinks"? Is it because they are served hot? or Is it because of the Caffeine? If you can answer me clearly what from these 2 questions I am asking is the most appropriate reason why Hyrum Smith says that. I couldn't get the point what characteristics of the Coffee and Tea became prohibited and the others not.

Tea and Coffee were the most COMMON household "hot drinks" at that time, certainly not the only ones. Having said that, it is impossible for me or anybody else to state the EXACT reason for the prohibition because it is not specifically said in the Scriptures, but only that they are not good for us. I personally believe that God through his infinite wisdom, revealed to the early leaders the danger substances found in these beverages.

If the reason is because "hot drinks" are pertaining to really "hot" liquids that can burn and can be harmful to our body, so I guess It will show that on the time of our Prophet JS and HS was interpreting it is because Coffee and Tea were the only popular drinks served hot on those days, so the question may arise to How about the other "hot" drinks?

Why do you keep insisting in the other "hot drinks"? They are not part of the Word of Wisdom, why are you worried about them? IF the Lord would have a problem with hot milo, hot chocolate, yerba mate or whatever other beverage or food he would have reveal it to the Prophet and we would have vote for approval or rejection on General Conference. So far, this never happened.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 7th Apr, 2008 - 2:28am / Post ID: #

It Is OK For Mormons To Drink Tea?
A Friend

Tea Drink Mormons OK It

Well, anyway I have no doubt on the revelations from God but I am just wondering why and what can be the exact reasons why Coffee and Tea only are the prohibited "hot drinks" on WoW if we all know that the reason why it is prohibited in my opinion based on your statements it is not the case of being "hot" drinks which now I may agree but who can say that it is due to Caffeine that is harmful to our body and belly? I am just making it reasonable enough and asking if we all consider that Caffeine is absolutely not good for the body nor belly why not partake only of the Coffee and Tea? While we partake of the others who has Caffeine too like Sodas, Yerba Mate, some energy drinks etc.?

The Logic and the Spirit of the Words of Wisdom as per my own understanding is basically to avoid everything that is harmful to our living souls and stay Healthy and Clean at all times.

7th Apr, 2008 - 2:32am / Post ID: #

It Is OK For Mormons To Drink Tea? Studies Doctrine Mormon

The Logic and the Spirit of the Words of Wisdom as per my own understanding is basically to avoid everything that is harmful to our living souls and stay Healthy and Clean at all times.

You are absolutely correct. My point is that the "prohibition" falls ONLY in the tea and coffee (those are the things that can keep you out of the Temple). Drinking sodas, eatings lots of chocolate and meat even though breaks the "spirit" of the word of wisdom WON'T stop you from attending the Lord's house.

Post Date: 7th Apr, 2008 - 6:29am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 5 Tea Drink Mormons OK It

My BIG question now is WHY? undecided.gif If I drink Tea or Coffee I can't go inside the temple and I am unworthy? which I agree, while If I drink Sodas and other drinks with Caffeine I can freely go inside the Temple and I am still worthy? Isn't it unfair since those things are known harmful to our bodies and yet Coffee and Tea only are one of the basis of unworthiness and even pre-requisites?

I believed, since I realized all these things and I prayed and ask God about it, I should no longer partake as far as I know anything or should really avoid as much as possible everything that contains Caffeine because I believed that God really wants us to be clean, healthy and worthy in his presence.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: It is not necessary to quote the entire post of the user above you. See Constructive Posting Policy.

Post Date: 3rd May, 2008 - 10:47am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Tea Drink Mormons OK It

Depends what sort of teas you drink. I think the teabags are wrong, and the only teas you can rink are herbal. When I'm totally sick, I have chinese herbal tea to make me better. When Joseph smith revealed that tea was bad it was something that would harm our bodies, but chinese herbal teas make your bodies better. Well thats my opinion.

3rd May, 2008 - 12:02pm / Post ID: #

Keep in mind the word "tea" is a TYPE of plant.

The word "herb" refers to many types of plants.

Of the variety of herbs we are specifically asked not to partake of the tea plant. When you drink herbs in general you are making an infusion and not a herb tea per se.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 16th Oct, 2009 - 7:12pm / Post ID: #

It OK Mormons Drink Tea - Page 5

Name: noMomo

Comments: I stumbled upon this thread because I enjoy mate with friends and wanted to know if my Mormon friend could drink it guilt free. Thanks LDS for your help on this.

While reading through this thread I could not help get a glimpse into the finer points of tea the word of wisdom and Mormon doctrine. For what it's worth from an outsider, the situation with AGene was the most interesting. I see this is a little back dated so I hope the situation has gotten better, but I'd have to disagree that you should ignore or let a friendship be affected by something so small. It seems to me it is simply a matter of faith. I think this is might be what kenzeiakiro was getting at too.

As far as I know white, green and black tea all come from the same plant, the difference in varieties is the maturity of the leaf when it is picked. Youngest to oldest respectively. There are many studies touting tea's health benifits, mostly the young teas, but any tea is going to be better for you than soda, Coke or otherwise. If this is really about health then the issue would be something to get frustrated about. It seems like your frustration and anger come from your friend posing the same questions you probably have and demanding that they make sense. If this was all based on health then the overweight carnivore with a love for soda and cake gets a green card (or whatever you call it) while the tri-athlete, yoga instructor that likes to enjoy some chai with her egg beaters is denied would be outrageous.

I used to ask my friend why soda, which has no health benefit, was alright, but tea was not. He said that's what the word of wisdom says. At first I thought this was the biggest cop-out ever. But I more I thought about it the better the answer was. It's about faith. Faith doesn't need logic. As much as that sentence pains me it's true. The frustration, I feel, comes from trying to make logical sense of something that defies it. If your friend is Catholic he should be well versed in that. All religions have some rules or dogma that to the outsider is simply a head scratcher, but they don't give it a second thought (ask you friend to explain the three-in-one, one-in-three trinity concept to you).

I feel like many people are too quick to point out flaws in others religion while turning a blind eye to their own. People sometimes throw away relationships because they challenge their beliefs. Faith should be questioned and challenged, how else are you going to know if it is truly strong or folds under the pressure.

Alright I'll step down from my soapbox for now, just wanted to say thanks for the mate answer, and hopefully show a different perspective.

16th Oct, 2009 - 7:52pm / Post ID: #

It OK Mormons Drink Tea Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 5

Growing up in the south we drank Sweet Tea....black tea with lots of sugar, iced. I thought that as long as it was decaf it was okay to drink....ha ha ha, then my husband (then boyfriend) who had just returned off his mission saw me drinking decaf sweet tea, and had a "cow." I haven't drank black tea since. However, I had never had a caffeinated beverage until I moved to Utah, and all the Mormons are drinking Dr. Pepper...I was like, "what the heck," as I picked up a Dr. Pepper and haven't stoped drinking them since.. I have some Postum in my cabinet, but don't like it too much.

Now on the medical side of things, I have or had been a medical transcriptionist for 13 years, so I have read and typed thousands of medical reports. It was my observation that individuals who drank alcohol, black tea, coffee...typically had health problems. Or should I say people with health problems typically drank alcohol, coffee, black tea....we won't mention the cigarettes. It is my opinion they are truly unhealthy for you.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

> TOPIC: It Is OK For Mormons To Drink Tea?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,