Mormons can RUN, but Mormons can't HIDE! - Page 2 of 4

That's an excellent quote, JB.  I - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 27th Sep, 2003 - 12:13pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
25th Sep, 2003 - 4:35pm / Post ID: #

Mormons can RUN, but Mormons can't HIDE! - Page 2

I generally have a hard time with ward activities.  My wife says that I am anti-social, which may be true.  However, this last weekend, we had an activity at a local apple orchard/cider mill.  While there, we got involved in several nice conversations with people we barely knew.

We also attended a magnificent ward campout a few years ago, while living in Provo, UT.  We had a marvelous time, got to know several ward members, and the children developed great friendships.

So, I guess that ward activities can be useful (barely).

However, if we want to live in Zion, we must be Zion people.  Visiting the sick, the imprisoned, etc, is the way to become Zion.

NightHawk

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 25th Sep, 2003 - 8:15pm / Post ID: #

Mormons can RUN, but Mormons can't HIDE!
A Friend

HIDE cant Mormons RUN Mormons

I think that the ward activities are important but not near as important serving others in need (whether they are in the ward or not). My family and I are still quite new to the ward that we belong to, and the activities give us a chance to get to know about the other members during fellowship.

It saddens me to think that some people just don't take the time to do their service work. I mean where would my family and I be if it wasn't for the missionaries or the Visiting Teachers and Home Teachers? I look forward to the day when I get my 'calling' to do service in the Church. Doing service work in the Church may seem like alot, but if you take the time to stop and think, what's a few hours out of your time to serve God?

26th Sep, 2003 - 6:04am / Post ID: #

Mormons can RUN, but Mormons can't HIDE! Studies Doctrine Mormon

Nighthawk:

However, if we want to live in Zion, we must be Zion people.  Visiting the sick, the imprisoned, etc, is the way to become Zion.

Amen to that!

Msslm:
It saddens me to think that some people just don't take the time to do their service work.

Me too! I think activities are good but actually do very little for the real needs of a Ward's membership compared to a visit to a person's home or service. Even those whom we may feel seem 'active' have needs often not met.

26th Sep, 2003 - 11:32am / Post ID: #

Page 2 HIDE cant Mormons RUN Mormons

Sorry, but ideal or not ideal world if we are followers of Christ and since our Church preaches about caring after the poor and the needy, whether you are or not a friend of them doesn't make a difference. This is real world, and this is what we are supposed to do...because if not, anything our leaders say we may interpret it in the light of 'Well, that would be nice in an ideal world' but as members of the Church, that's our responsibility.

I agree with you, I am just saying that I think Ward activities help us to be better Saints because they do help us to get to know and love our fellow Ward members. I am not trying to make excuses for people. I "always" do my visiting teaching and my own visiting teachers always visit me. My home teacher is not as diligent and I wish he were.

Part of the mission of the Church is to help "perfect the saints." I am just suggesting that maybe Ward activities in a small way do contribute to this mission. In no way do I mean to say that a Ward activity is anywhere near as important as any calling within the Church or as important as visiting in one's home, but I do think there is a valid place for these activities within the Church organization.

I think people don't take Visiting Teaching and Home Teaching as seriously as their callings because they don't really understand just how important these assignments are. Perhaps because they aren't called and sustained in a Sacrament Meeting and perhaps because just about everyone is a Visiting Teacher and or a Home Teacher they don't consider it an honor to be one. Huge mistake. I know of several people, myself included, who have developed good, lasting friendships with others with whom you wouldn't think there was much in common. If it weren't for the assignment, they probably never would have bothered to get to know each other. It would be a great loss.

I also think the friendships that develop between visitor and visitee are essential to helping the person with a need accept help from those offering it. Here I am referring to the friendships devoloped as a result of the visits not as a result of Ward activities.

Anyway, that is my experience. I can tell you that when I was the Education Counselor in the Relief Society in my Ward, it was very frustrating how few people were really willing to help and Ward activities don't really seem to matter much in that regard, so maybe I have just convinced myself I am wrong ;D I will shut up now! I do get a bit winded at times! :-X

26th Sep, 2003 - 4:00pm / Post ID: #

HIDE cant Mormons RUN Mormons

My home teacher is not as diligent and I wish he were.

At least you have one, I have not seen one in ages wink.gif

I think people don't take Visiting Teaching and Home Teaching as seriously as their callings because they don't really understand just how important these assignments are.  Perhaps because they aren't called and sustained in a Sacrament Meeting and perhaps because just about everyone is a Visiting Teacher and or a Home Teacher they don't consider it an honor to be one. 

Maybe, although I deeply think the main reason for it is that they don't have love in their hearts, you know how many times I cross members who are in pain, suffering terminal diceases and nobody visit them? and their home teachers know about it...this is so cruel in my opinion, that's why I think is about lack of love and interest. Sad but true.

Anyway, that is my experience.  I can tell you that when I was the Education Counselor in the Relief Society in my Ward, it was very frustrating how few people were really willing to help

This is so true, actually this month we had our home and enrichment meeting and because the topic was about healthy eating and the word of wisdom only a couple of sisters attended but last month because we had this huge dinner we had like 25/30 sisters there...shame...shame....

Rather off topic, but...
Sorry if I sound 'tough' I'm just fed up with a lot of things going on in the Church here

26th Sep, 2003 - 6:03pm / Post ID: #

Mormons can RUN, but Mormons can't HIDE!

LDS_F said:

This is so true, actually this month we had our home and enrichment meeting and because the topic was about healthy eating and the word of wisdom only a couple of sisters attended but last month because we had this huge dinner we had like 25/30 sisters there...shame...shame....

and:
Off the topic but...
Sorry if I sound 'tough' I'm just fed up with a lot of things going on in the Church here 

I hear you, Sister! smile.gif It's all over, not just there. And it isn't just people in our church, but others as well. I think it's just a part of "the last days" when "the love of men shall wax cold" ... and it's unfortunate that it's happening in *our Church*, where we expect to have a higher standard.

I had a brief conversation with my stake president recently. He mentioned that all over the world, the church averages a 45% activity level. So most of the time, we have more than half of the Saints inactive. That's pretty poor statistics.

If we can use the ward and stake activities to fellowship our inactive members, and to fellowship new members, then they are useful. If we use them just as entertainment or social activities for the active Saints, I think that is defeating the purpose of the activities.

Who was it that said something like... the church is not a hotel for the Saints, but a respite for sinners? I think a lot of us tend to forget that sometimes.

In my opinion.

Roz

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
26th Sep, 2003 - 9:00pm / Post ID: #

Mormons RUN Mormons can't HIDE! - Page 2

Here is a quote that fits this topic very well:

"Sacrifice comes in many forms and may not always be convenient. Latter-day
Saints make a covenant with the Lord to sacrifice. By doing so, we
surrender our will to His, dedicating our lives to building up His kingdom
and serving His children
. . . . Our challenge is to unselfishly sacrifice
all that we have been given, including our will. Elder Maxwell rightly
said: 'The submission of one's will is really the only uniquely personal
thing we have to place on God's altar
. The many other things we "give" . . .
are actually the things He has already given or loaned to us.'"

(Robert K. Dellenbach, "Sacrifice Brings Forth the Blessings of Heaven," Ensign, Nov. 2002, 33, 34)

27th Sep, 2003 - 12:13pm / Post ID: #

Mormons RUN Mormons can't HIDE! Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

That's an excellent quote, JB.  I remember years ago, a high council member was speaking in Sacrament meeting about the importance of giving and sacrificing.  I don't remember anything he said, except for the final three sentences:  "Give till it hurts.  Give till it hurts.  Give till it hurts."

Roz

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Mormons can RUN, but Mormons can't HIDE!

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,