Aaron, The Aaronic Priesthood, And The Temple

Aaron Aaronic Priesthood Temple - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 21st Aug, 2008 - 8:16am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Post Date: 18th Mar, 2008 - 4:47am / Post ID: #

A Friend

I've been studying the Bible recently, and I have a question, maybe someone here can answer. Why is it that Aaron, who only held the Aaronic Priesthood, was given Temple clothing? Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links:
18th Mar, 2008 - 5:24am / Post ID: #

Temple The Priesthood Aaronic Aaron

You mean given Tabernacle clothing? Keep in mind that the Priesthood held at the time was the Levitical Priesthood and the specifics and authority is not in the same designation as now (ages and quorums). Also, Aaron and his sons were not truly 'in' any temple, they were in fact just seeing about the temple's surroundings (tent) and basic sacrificial ordinances, hence there was a distinction of where they could go and where they could not (Holy of Holies). I cannot go into more detail than that as this is a Public Forum and those kinds of things are Discussed only in the Mature LDS Board.

18th Mar, 2008 - 8:45pm / Post ID: #

Aaron, The Aaronic Priesthood, And The Temple Studies Doctrine Mormon

Aaron and his sons were not truly 'in' any temple, they were in fact just seeing about the temple's surroundings (tent) and basic sacrificial ordinances, hence there was a distinction of where they could go and where they could not (Holy of Holies).

I am not sure what you mean by this? As far as I can remember the High priest who was a Levite was the only one allowed in the Holy of Holies on yon kippor (sp)( not sure how to spell it except in Hebrew) or the day of atonement. (see Lev. 16) They dressed in the Levitical priesthood robes that are described in Lev 8 I believe. They were intricate part to the Temple worship. As the temple worship developed and got more complex you begin seeing rules and such assigned to the Levites as to temple worship.
This in fact excluded many OT prophets from temple service and even entrance into the holy of holies, due to the fact they were not Levites or Priests. In fact I am not aware of any High Priest also being called to as a prophet. Just some food for thought.

18th Mar, 2008 - 10:17pm / Post ID: #

It does seem that Aaron received their washing and anointings as read in Exodus 40 12-13

12 And thou shalt bring Aaron and his sons unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, and wash them with water.
  13 And thou shalt put upon Aaron the holy garments, and anoint him, and sanctify him; that he may minister unto me in the priest's office.

This may have been more of a description of the clothing that the priest wore prior to entering the tabernacle, but I believe it does reference in part the washing and anointing that members receive today. Since there were restrictions on holding the Higher priesthood at the time, It seems that there was some provisions given to those holding the Aaronic priesthood to receive some of the higher blessings of temple worship.

Post Date: 20th Aug, 2008 - 11:49pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

The temple ordinances performed by the Levitical priesthood were of the Lower priesthood which God gave in His wrath. All the ordinances of this lower priesthood including the atonement of Jesus Christ were performed in the temples then and are performed in the temples today.

Any ordinance that has to do with saving or redeeming us from sin is part of the Preparatory gospel. This preparatory gospel is the gospel of Jesus Christ and includes repentance, baptism, remission of sins, sacrament, animal sacrifices and the atonement of Jesus Christ. Any thing that deals with washing away our sins, making us clean from sin, or preparing us to receive the Holy Ghost is part of the Aaronic priesthood.

The Day of Atonement ordinances were also part of this lower priesthood and pointed to the capstone event of this lower priesthood.

The garments mentioned in the bible that were received were have multiple symbolisms. They represent the garment given to Adam to hide his nakedness. The garments given to Adam are Aaronic priesthood in origin and purpose. They were made from the first "animal sacrifice". They were made to "hide Adam's" supposed nakedness. Or in other words, they hid Adam's sin. The animal was killed so Adam could hide his sin. Just as Christ was killed so we could hide our sins in his blood.

This being the case, the garment worn by the Levites and Adam was given under the Aaronic priesthood. In preparation for and prior to receiving the Mel. Priesthood.

It can be very difficult to tell when we are dealing with the Aaronic priesthood (Terrestrial Priesthood), or the Mel. Priesthood (Celestial Priesthood). But remember, the Aaronic deals with Salvation and redemption and the Mel. deals with Exaltation, every time.

21st Aug, 2008 - 8:16am / Post ID: #

All the ordinances of this lower priesthood including the atonement of Jesus Christ were performed in the temples then and are performed in the temples today.

No offense, but I disagree with this on so many levels.

I do not believe in any way that there is any scriptural, or prophetic doctrine that would suggest that the atonement of Jesus Christ is only part of the lower priesthood. Whatever Christ did by the way of priesthood power, was on par with the highest levels of power that exist in the universe and encompass all priesthood power, and are not limited to the lower priesthood.

Nor are the temple ordinances only related to the lower or so called "terrestrial priesthood" as you have called it. Without discussing the ordinances in detail, the temple does discuss the Aaronic priesthood but shows the progression into the higher priesthood. I believe that the temple deals primarily with the higher ordinances of the priesthood (though I acknowledge that there are higher ordinances that we do not yet understand), ordinances that even the Children of Israel must receive through proxy to be saved, as well as exalted.

Reconcile Edited: dbackers on 21st Aug, 2008 - 8:18am

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Aaron, The Aaronic Priesthood, And The Temple

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,