Parents Kind and Dear... - Page 2 of 2

To Discuss about Hymns use this Thread: Source - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 27th Oct, 2009 - 12:45am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
26th Oct, 2009 - 10:23pm / Post ID: #

Parents Kind and Dear... - Page 2

international QUOTE (Pianomom @ 26-Oct 09, 9:45 PM)
I believe the hymns are scripture, as our First Presidency approved them for singing in sacrament meeting.

Where is your source for this pianomom? Hymns are inspired (as you pointed out with that quote) but doesnt make them automatically scripture you know what am I saying?. Not everything we read that is inspired is scripture.

Good thread folks, I come from decent parents who tried their very best to teach me what is right from wrong, I feel blessed however I understand how some people may feel I dont have a problem if they wanna change that particular part of the hymn.

Reconcile Edited: SuzieSu on 26th Oct, 2009 - 10:24pm

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 27th Oct, 2009 - 12:26am / Post ID: #

Parents Kind and Dear...
A Friend

Dear Kind Parents

Rather off topic, but...

SuzieSu
I feel this is offtopic, but since I was asked a direct question, I need to answer it.
I believe we both may have a different definition of what "scripture" is. This is the definition from the LDS Bible Dictionary.

LDS Bible Dictionary, Page 770
international QUOTE
The word scripture means a writing, and is used to denote a writing recognized by the Church as sacred and inspired...Latter-day revelation identifies scripture as that which is spoken under the influence of the Holy Ghost.

So, to me, hymns are definitely scripture. The very first page states that it is published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and even includes a Preface by the First Presidency. If the First Presidency publishes this, I feel it is scripture, just as the manuals we have for each class at church, just as the talks given at General Conference. Hymns are sung at General Conference, are part of the whole conference experience. These hymns are a sacred writing, inspired and recognized by the church, and definitely have the influence of the Holy Ghost.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please use the Offtopic Tags so that the Thread maintains the SAME subject matter and does not develop into another Topic. See Constructive Posting Policy.

27th Oct, 2009 - 12:45am / Post ID: #

Parents Kind and Dear... Studies Doctrine Mormon

To Discuss about Hymns use this Thread: Source 5

To talk about Hymns being Scripture please start a New Thread in the LDS Music Board.

Please keep my Thread on the same subject matter which is:

Have you been born of goodly parents?

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Parents Kind and Dear...

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,