Church Members and Secret Societies - Page 3 of 4

There were political reasons for the brethren - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 24th Jun, 2008 - 12:18am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
Post Date: 28th Jul, 2007 - 8:43am / Post ID: #

Church Members and Secret Societies
A Friend

Church Members and Secret Societies - Page 3

As I understand it the Masons are a fraternal order dedicated to service to their community and to their brotherhood. Much like the Rotary Club, Kiwanis Club, or Lions Club. I believe they claim to descend from Solomons Temple, which would explain why they have similarities to LDS Temple ceremonies.

I find it ironic that some people criticize Joseph Smith for the similarities between the Temple ceremonies and the Masonic ceremonies. Somehow in their view it makes sense that he could make up a hundreds of pages of scripture, but didn't have the creative stamina to make up some stuff for a temple ceremony, but I digress.

Very many early church leaders were members of Freemasonry. Joseph Smith Jr., Joseph Smith Sr., Hyrum Smith, and Brigham Young, to name just a few. In fact the Mason Lodge in Nauvoo was the largest in the state. I think I remember hearing somewhere that a large part of the interest in joining was for early LDS members to associate themselves with other prominent men of the state that were Masons. The idea here was that by association in Masonry they would not be discriminated against so much for their religious beliefs. However after some controversy surrounding polygamy and other things the Masons barred LDS members from becoming members. Years later Brigham Young released the above mentioned comment.

The prohibition for an LDS member to join Masonry was dropped in 1984 by President Spencer W. Kimball. I don't believe I will join because I know that the LDS temple has the full ceremony. Why go participate in something that only has part of the truth? As for the service to community, maybe I will just go join the Rotary.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 25th Feb, 2008 - 8:17am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Societies Secret Members Church

I've also been looking for info on President Hinckley being a Mason, does anyone have a link to further info on that?

Post Date: 18th Apr, 2008 - 2:39am / Post ID: #

Church Members and Secret Societies Studies Doctrine Mormon

Name: Habakuk

Comments: Last year I came across a book - can't remember who wrote it but I could get the source if anyone really wants to know - but it was the Masons that killed Joseph Smith. When he cried out "Oh God, my God," it was a Mason sign for distress. It didn't work because the Masons were the ones there to kill him.

Why did they want to kill him? Everyone knows the Masons assign penalties for revealing their knowledge and tokens. They considered him a betrayer by stealing their rituals and using them for temple rituals. For a long time Mormons weren't accepted in Masonry for that reason. Not sure if that's still the case.

I've never heard Hinkley was a mason. I have my doubts.

Post Date: 19th May, 2008 - 5:47pm / Post ID: #

Page 3 Societies Secret Members Church

Name: John

Comments: President Gordon B. Hinkley was never a member of the free-masons. Nor did he attend a masonic lodge. I am sorry to inform you your information is false.

21st May, 2008 - 6:54am / Post ID: #

Societies Secret Members Church

Can you provide a link or quote on the information that President Hinkley was NOT a mason? It is not that I think he was or wasn't--it is just both sides have been presented without any sources and I am interested in reading about it.

Thanks!

24th May, 2008 - 1:41am / Post ID: #

The safest thing to do is to say he was not a mason until someone proves otherwise. Isn't the burden of proof on those who say he was a mason?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
27th May, 2008 - 5:36am / Post ID: #

Church Members Secret Societies - Page 3

That is a good point. I was just hoping that someone actually had a source to go to. I was interested in reading about it...but as you said, I guess I will have to wait until someone can prove that he was.

24th Jun, 2008 - 12:18am / Post ID: #

Church Members Secret Societies Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

There were political reasons for the brethren to belong to the Free Masons organization. There is also no doubt that Joseph Smith picked up a lot of information from the free mason rituals. I also believe that there really is not much if any to be gained by belonging to a lodge. I have personally been invited and politely declines. One of my counselors in the bishopric was a mason. It certainly never bothered me that he was an active mason. He himself tended to state that it was more of a social club rather then anything else. It makes sense to me not to join when you have the correct ordinances. As far as community involvement is concerned, there are many that do a wonderful job without having to get involved in a secret handshake etc.

Personally, unless someone can show proof of pres. Hinckley having been a free mason, I personally think it is rubbish.

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Church Members and Secret Societies

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,