Church Members and Secret Societies - Page 2 of 4

RC3 claims that President Hinkley, and many - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 22nd Apr, 2007 - 6:47pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 
8th Mar, 2004 - 1:17am / Post ID: #

Church Members and Secret Societies - Page 2

Not only is President Hinckley a Mason but even with his hugely busy schedule he makes it a point to make his monthly meeting at his home lodge.

Thanks for that information RC, I personally did not know Pres. Hinckley was a Mason, I will research more about it. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 4th Apr, 2007 - 2:07pm / Post ID: #

Church Members and Secret Societies
A Friend

Societies Secret Members Church

"why join a fraternal organization, when you are already a member of the best" (referring to the Priesthood).

If we could. Would we ask this same question to Joseph Smith and other prophets that are masons? Obviously, there is something; otherwise they would not have been part of it. Plus, Heavenly Father would have not permitted that His prophets be part of it, . . . . . if it didn't make a difference in them. That is my opinion.

I don't remember who said it, might have been Brigham Young,

I do not think he said this because I understand he is also a mason. (The point is: if he would have said this, he would have not joined Masonry) Besides, if the quote below is correct; he seems a little concerned over the fact that mormons were not being allowed in the masonic meetings at that time. Obviously, there was and is something he found valuable in masonry.
We cannot be admitted into their social societies, into their places of gathering at certain times and on certain occasions,

I too, am LDS and a Mason.

5th Apr, 2007 - 12:08am / Post ID: #

Church Members and Secret Societies Studies Doctrine Mormon

Interesting. I noticed that there were a couple of quotes given by early leaders concerning freemasonry stating basically that there is nothing wrong with it and as mentioned on this thread, many prophets were part of it. But what is the modern-day view of the Church concerning Freemasonry? I found the following information from two web sites quoting a Salt Lake Tribune article:

"There is no specific Mormon prohibition of Masonry, but church spokesman Don LeFevre said the church discourages it members from joining it or similar groups. 'The church strongly advises its members not to affiliate with organizations that are secret, oath-bound, or would cause them to lose interest in church activities.'" (Section D1, Monday Feb. 17, 1992).

Post Date: 7th Apr, 2007 - 9:01pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Page 2 Societies Secret Members Church

But what is the modern-day view of the Church concerning Freemasonry?
This question, in my opinion, is very clearly answered; same website. (https://www.freedomdomain.com/freemasons/mormons01.html)
This is found in the same document/article
Taken literally, this would seem to indicate that holding any public office which requires an oath would be discouraged. Yet the real facts are that members are encouraged to be politically and civically active. Or  that joining the Boy Scouts, which has the Scout Oath  would also be discouraged, yet the LDS Church is an ardent supporter of that organization.

Since the Fraternity openly publishes its membership list, states its purposes, gives public tours of its buildings, openly contributes civically to the community, and donates books containing much of this information to public libraries, It can't truthfully be called a secret society.

As far as loosing interest in church activities:
(in Masonry) Encouragement is also given to search out and live the teachings of Holy Scripture,
In fact, one of the statements of  belief taught by Joseph Smith to the church was:
  "...If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report, or praiseworthy, we seek after  these things."

7th Apr, 2007 - 9:11pm / Post ID: #

Societies Secret Members Church

Wes, thanks for the quotes but really that's the guy interpretation on the statement given by the Church. If the statement given by the Salt Lake Tribune is true, it specifically says the Church discourages its members from joining Freemasonry.

"There is no specific Mormon prohibition of Masonry, but church spokesman Don LeFevre said the church discourages it members from joining it or similar groups...

It seems clear that even though the Church does not put restrictions on members wanted to join the Masons (I never heard a modern statement against it) does not mean they are okay with it or encourage the members to join that group, but based on that quote it seems to be quite the opposite.

Post Date: 8th Apr, 2007 - 1:03pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Well,... we could spend an indefinite amount of time here, quoting people and analyzing their statements. But at the end, we'll still come to the conclusion that regardless of statements like Bro. LeFevre's, (as quoted here); The Church is in a neutral position ir regards to having LDS members join Masonry or Masons becoming LDS. These are my thoughts. . .

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Apr, 2007 - 7:49pm / Post ID: #

Church Members Secret Societies - Page 2

Wes said:

But at the end, we'll still come to the conclusion that regardless of statements like Bro. LeFevre's, (as quoted here); The Church is in a neutral position ir regards to having LDS members join Masonry or Masons becoming LDS.

I agree, I personally think they are pretty neutral although as stated before (based on what the Church spokesman said) it specifically says the Church discourages its members from joining the Masons. Now, to how and to what extend they "discourage" the members from doing it, I don't know since I never heard anything against it .

Post Date: 22nd Apr, 2007 - 6:47pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Church Members Secret Societies Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

RC3 claims that President Hinkley, and many of the presiding authorities are Masons. I have tried to find source material to back that up. Please provide the proof for that claim.
Thanks!

+  1 2 3 4 

> TOPIC: Church Members and Secret Societies

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,