Mormons Having Tattoos - Page 3 of 6

Its important to remember that no one would - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 8th Oct, 2008 - 12:59am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

Controversial Mormon Issue
Post Date: 13th Aug, 2003 - 12:40am / Post ID: #

Mormons Having Tattoos
A Friend

Mormons Having Tattoos - Page 3

So.  Love one another.  Judge not, lest ye be judged.  Don't sweat the small stuff.

I love that... by far the most misquoted scripture used to expound the worldly notion of I'm OK you're OK...

Yes it does say Judge not lest ye be judged... but please please take it in context. the very next verse says for by what so manner as ye judge so to shall ye be judged. It is NOT a commandment against making judgments, rather it is a caution to make righteous judgments... To judge as we would for God to judge us - either fairly or unfairly - scripturally or unscripturally. You pick but to not judge does not allow us to help our brethren grow, and it breeds an attitude of - So I am an adulterer - you can't judge me - so I rape kids - you can't judge me. WRONG.

Sorry one of my pet peeves... Misquoted scripture used to make people feel good about themselves...

Sponsored Links:
13th Aug, 2003 - 12:58am / Post ID: #

Tattoos Mormons

I love that... by far the most misquoted scripture used to expound the worldly notion of I'm OK your'e OK...  

but to not judge does not allow us to help our brethren grow, and it breeds an attitude of - So I am an adulturer - you can't judge me - so I rape kids - you can't judge me. WRONG...
Sorry one of my pet peeves... Misquoted scripture used to make people feel good about themselves...

You misunderstand me.  I meant exactly that... judge carefully, for we will be judged likewise.   Don't misquote me, please.

Roz

Post Date: 15th Aug, 2003 - 8:16pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Having Tattoos
A Friend

Mormons Having Tattoos Studies Doctrine Mormon

Beth-elohim means house of god it was was recognized as temple in the old testament  because it was a mountain and god appear to Jacob and the other prophets  before him their.when Jacob was returning from Haran after 20 years he was going to Bethel with his family the lord told him to let you family strip themselves of all jewellery and images that were idol worship before entering Bethel .repentance is repentance if you steal repentance would be to give back what you took so if you got a tattoo after you joined the church and want to enter a temple of god where only his name is praised then you better remove it .you cant afford to remove it then save the money and get it done.what is more important god or the stupid tattoo.

17th Sep, 2008 - 1:40am / Post ID: #

Page 3 Tattoos Mormons

Is it just me or are the number of Members in the Church getting more and more tattoos? I'm interested to know... does your Bishop say anything on it. Are they spoken against in lessons. I can't remember... does the Strength of the Youth say anything about getting a tattoo? Image source: Source 1

Mormons Having Tattoos
Mormons Having Tattoos (Hover)

19th Sep, 2008 - 3:26pm / Post ID: #

Tattoos Mormons

The Strength of Youth does say not to "disfigure our bodies with tattoos" on page 16. On a similar note, I think that a convert might get a tattoo, even a LDS tattoo, like the "CTR" logo, or a pitcher the Salt Lake temple because no one explains to them how important it is NOT to get a tattoo. For example, while I was on my mission, there was a brand new member who still was a tattoo artist; he offered us, as missionaries, a discount on a tattoo.

20th Sep, 2008 - 3:37am / Post ID: #

Mormons Having Tattoos

I personally do not have any tattoos not have I ever wanted one, but with that said I do not think that there is anything wrong with an LDS member getting a tattoo. I think that the sigma of tatoos is a cultural thing and in another 30 -50 years in the church is may be as accepted as birth control is today in the church.

"Now comes the craze of tattooing one's body. I cannot understand why any young man-or young woman, for that matter-would wish to undergo the painful process of disfiguring the skin with various multicolored representations of people, animals, and various symbols. With tattoos, the process is permanent, unless there is another painful and costly undertaking to remove it. "¦ A tattoo is graffiti on the temple of the body.

"Likewise the piercing of the body for multiple rings in the ears, in the nose, even in the tongue. Can they possibly think that is beautiful? It is a passing fancy, but its effects can be permanent. Some have gone to such extremes that the ring had to be removed by surgery. The First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve have declared that we discourage tattoos and also 'the piercing of the body for other than medical purposes." We do not, however, take any position "on the minimal piercing of the ears by women for one pair of earrings" " (Ensign, Nov. 2000, 52).

Notice how Pres. Hinkley qualifies this statement. He says "I cannot understand....any young man or young woman woudl wish to undergo the painful process... Likewise the piericing the body..." I think this is very clear that he is saying that he himself does not understand why anyone would do this. I know a lot of older men his age would say the same thing. But again this is his personal feelings.

THE OLD TESTAMENT SAYS NO MARKS UPON THE BODY OR NO TATTOOS WHY?BECAUSE BODY MARKINGS ,THE WAY YOU CUT YOUR HAIR  WERE ALL PART OF IDOL WORSHIP OF BAAL AND OTHER STRANGE GODS.I THINK IF YOU GET BAPTIZE AND THEN GO OUT AND GET A TATTOO THAT IS IDOLATRY AND SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO ENTER A TEMPLE OF GOD.THE TEMPLE RECCOMEND INTERVIEW QUESTIONS SHOULD INCLUDE A QUESTION ON TATTOOS.

Yes the old testament does say this. But thanks for Peter and Paul I do not think that many LDS that get tattoos are worshiping Bael. I also think that if we are going to pick and choose what part of the law we live them perhaps we should get rid of all of our cotton blend mixed fabric suits that we where to church as well. I am not Jewish I am Christian.

The Strength of Youth does say not to "disfigure our bodies with tattoos" on page 16. On a similar note, I think that a convert might get a tattoo, even a LDS tattoo, like the "CTR" logo, or a pitcher the Salt Lake temple because no one explains to them how important it is NOT to get a tattoo. For example, while I was on my mission, there was a brand new member who still was a tattoo artist; he offered us, as missionaries, a discount on a tattoo.

I find it interesting that we use the word disfigure when talking about tattoos. I wonder if a burn victim would see it that way? I wonder if a breast cancer survivor who has a double mastectomy and uses tattoos in place of her breasts as a sign of disfigurement? I guess if you do not see tattoos as disfigurements them you are OK.

Anyway that is my 2 cents and thoughts, other then that they really do not mean much.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
3rd Oct, 2008 - 12:24pm / Post ID: #

Mormons Tattoos - Page 3

Isiah53 your argument is a play of words, indeed a mix of words like what Jehovah Witnesses try to do when they want to convince you of something. The truth of the matter is that all things are symbolic. When we intentionally mark ourselves with a symbol then we must understand the consequences it has on the mind. Symbols bind the mind - that is the purpose. We must be weary of what we bind ourselves too. Possibly, if we can have certain tattoos placed upon us (I cannot say which here), then that might be sanctioned, but who is to govern that and administer it... better to do without it.

Post Date: 8th Oct, 2008 - 12:59am / Post ID: #

Mormons Having Tattoos
A Friend

Mormons Tattoos Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

Its important to remember that no one would be denied access to the temple for having a tattoo or piercing. For tattoos many members are converts to the church, or those that have strayed into inactivity and have made mistakes. Repentance is a true principal and those that judge people may find spiritual repercussions for themselves.

Each unit has a wise Bishop or Branch President who is a judge in Israel, and I'm sure that if a member is wearing a piercing, or has recently received a visible tattoo, then it could be indicative of other negative attitudes towards church leaders and doctrine. Then in that person's next temple recommend interview, the Bishop might be more persuaded to cover the second question in the interview about sustaining the President of the church and might use it as a teaching moment to highlight what that entails. Maybe the individual was a recent convert and didn't know that such practices were discouraged.

It is pretty clear that when President Hinckley, standing at General Conference as President of the Church, says "We-the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve-have taken the position" and then speaks of discouraging tattoos and body piercing (as he did an the October 2000 General Conference)... he is not stating his opinion, but is speaking as Prophet of the Lord. And those that don't heed his counsel will experience spiritual consequences.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 

> TOPIC: Mormons Having Tattoos

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,