Big Mormon Families - Page 2 of 3

I think that all of us are kind of missing - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 6th Mar, 2008 - 7:01pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
26th Feb, 2008 - 1:47pm / Post ID: #

Big Mormon Families - Page 2

LDS have largest families in U.S. Anyone surprised? wink.gif

Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have the largest families in America, among both religious and nonreligious groups.

Second place goes to Muslims, according to a survey released Monday.

The "U.S. Religious Landscape Survey" was prepared by the Pew Forum on Religious and Public Life, based in Washington, D.C. The forum is funded by the Pew Charitable Trusts.

The survey's summary says, "No matter how rigorous, however, all surveys have their limitations and the Landscape Survey is no exception. ... These limitations are particularly apparent when it comes to providing definitive figures on membership in religious groups."

That seems to skew the membership figures for the LDS group downward. The survey was conducted only among adults 18 and older, and many LDS families have children under 18, as evidenced by the finding that members of the church have the largest families.

Also, the results only include members of a religion who live in America, while the LDS membership is worldwide.

Chief findings are that 78.4 percent of the sampling of 35,000 Americans say they are Christians. The study found that 51.3 percent of all Americans are Protestant, 23.9 percent are Catholic, 1.7 percent are LDS, Jehovah's Witnesses make up 0.7 percent, Orthodox Christians are less than 0.6 percent and other Christians are 0.3 percent....

Sponsored Links:
1st Mar, 2008 - 10:39pm / Post ID: #

Families Mormon Big

Large families is not as it used to be. Large today looks to be around 4 or 5 children, but when I was a child 7 or more was normal.

1st Mar, 2008 - 10:50pm / Post ID: #

Big Mormon Families Studies Doctrine Mormon

I would never think of 4 or 5 children as large although as you well pointed out, society seems to think that anything more than 4 is large. I think 6 and over can well be considered "large".

2nd Mar, 2008 - 9:46pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 Families Mormon Big

I was the oldest of six kids and I found that when I turned about 10 years old I started to have a larger responsibility in helping watch and take care of the Younger kids. This is why mormon families can be big and not overwelm the Parents. I can't tell you how many times my dad told me to go get the kids to clean something up or watch them for a few hours. Its all about delegation (to a small degree),an important lesson for children and parents to understand learn.

2nd Mar, 2008 - 10:52pm / Post ID: #

Families Mormon Big

Dbackers, I wonder though to what extent is it "fair"? In the past I have seen kids around 11 taking care of their younger siblings in Primary while both parents are sitting down in Sunday School. Kids should be kids, no? My whole point is where this line is drawn to not overwhelm the child?

3rd Mar, 2008 - 4:41pm / Post ID: #

Big Mormon Families

You are probably right. That is just the way I grew up. I took on a lot of responsibilities myself and lived in a pretty rural area. I was Milking cows on a daily basis at 8 and driving tractor at 10.

Being a kid was relative I suppose, and I did my share of irresponsible kid things. My Parents taught me a difficult but significant lessons about responsibility, and I am grateful for those lessons. This is probably why I have an independent streak in some of my thought.

That being said. I am coming from the view that it is a good thing to allow children greater and greater amounts of responsibility. The older they get, the more they are able to help out in the Family. It is one of the only ways, I believe, that someone can have a larger family, and not lose one of them in the crowd (Just kidding).

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
3rd Mar, 2008 - 4:45pm / Post ID: #

Big Mormon Families - Page 2

laugh.gif I see what you are saying. I suppose it all depends on the circumstances. I can understand it more if the situation places the family on a farm ( I would LOVE to live in one by the way). Actually, based on how the world is generally, if you seriously want to consider having a large family, a rural area, a farm seem to be the best options.

Post Date: 6th Mar, 2008 - 7:01pm / Post ID: #

Big Mormon Families
A Friend

Big Mormon Families Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

I think that all of us are kind of missing the bigger picture on why Mormons have large families. It is because we have an understanding of the true gospel of Jesus Christ. The Proclamation to the World on the Family states that

"the family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children. . .The divine plan of happiness enables family relationships to be perpetuated beyond the grave.  Sacred ordinances and covenants available in holy temples make it possible for individuals to return to the presence of God and for families to be united eternally."

Our Heavenly Father's plan from the beginning was designed for us to be organized into families. It was a brilliant plan! What a great opportunity for all of us to be organized into families where we can learn how to get along with different personalities, to learn how to work, serve, develop love, respect, forgiveness. The Proclamation states that

"Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities."

What a wonderful way to learn all of these principles--within the family. What we learn in our family we then contribute to the church and our community. I think Mormons have large families because we know Heavenly Father's plan. We are preparing to live with God again someday, and we need to prepare ourselves to be part of his large family. I think we learn more from the more people we are associated with. We truly do develop love, forgiveness, respect, service, etc...

I am the youngest of six children, and I know I learned a lot from my siblings--traits I wanted to have and mistakes they made that I did not want to repeat. I also know that the more children I have had, the more Christlike characteristics I have developed. I think I am more patient, loving, and understanding with 5 children than I was when we had 1 or 2. I am not saying that everyone needs 12 children to teach them these qualities, but for me, I have grown as I have become a parent and understand more of Heavenly Father's love for his children. Thus, I am trying to be more like the Savior. When dbackers and I were first married, we were not able to have children for the first three years. It took fertility medication, prayers, and great faith to have children. As I look back now, I see how much our Heavenly Father has blessed us and how grateful I am. I learned many valuable lessons in life. For me, having children has helped me develop more Christlike attributes. My children really have taught me the gospel, and I believe that is Heavenly Father's intention on organizing us into families whether yours is large or small.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please learn how to use the Quote Tags here. When you do not use these tags source material that is not your own may appear to be yours when it is not. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Big Mormon Families

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,