Mormon God-Adam Theory - Page 7 of 10

I did some more reading on the subject of - Page 7 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 26th Jun, 2008 - 7:57pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 10 pgs.  3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
  Mormon God-Adam Theory Also known as the Adam God Doctrine as promoted by Brigham Young - "As Man is... God once was... As God is... Man may become"
3rd Nov, 2007 - 12:13am / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory - Page 7

Dbackers, please read this Thread from the start, there is a lot more to it than that. You will find that some theories go into what some would consider extra-terrestrial.

Rather off topic, but...
Most of these Threads are lengthy, but you miss a lot if you do not dive into it as a lot of the meat and guts is within rather than just the ends.

Sponsored Links:
6th Mar, 2008 - 11:57pm / Post ID: #

Theory God-Adam Mormon

I was reading this poem of Eliza R. Snow, isn't a proof in itself that this doctrine was indeed taught? Just a little extract:

When god a patrimony shall bestow
Upon his sons and daughters here below.
Adam, your God, like you on earth, has been
Subject to sorrow in a world of sin:
Through long gradation he arose to be
Cloth"d with the Godhead's might and majesty.

Post Date: 12th Jun, 2008 - 7:16am / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory
A Friend

Mormon God-Adam Theory Studies Doctrine Mormon

I wonder if the Adam-God theory can in any way tie into the theory that Adam is the Holy Ghost.

12th Jun, 2008 - 11:51pm / Post ID: #

Page 7 Theory God-Adam Mormon

Andirules, I don't see the connection. Do you? If you do, please share. Thanks.

13th Jun, 2008 - 7:22am / Post ID: #

Theory God-Adam Mormon

QUOTE (JB @ 15-Jul 03, 5:11 AM)
I also understand that Pres. Spencer W. Kimball wrote on the subject but have not found his letter yet.

President Kimball spoke on this during October Conference 1976. Here is what he said:

We hope that you who teach in the various organizations, whether on the campuses or in our chapels, will always teach the orthodox truth. We warn you against the dissemination of doctrines which are not according to the scriptures and which are alleged to have been taught by some of the General Authorities of past generations. Such, for instance, is the Adam-God theory. We denounce that theory and hope that everyone will be cautioned against this and other kinds of false doctrine.
Spencer W. Kimball, "Our Own Liahona," Ensign, Nov 1976, 77

Can anyone tell me about the following book. It is recommended reading from LDS.org. Have you read it? And did it clarify your perspective on this issue?

Elwood G. Norris, Be Not Deceived: A Scriptural Refutation of the Adam-God Theory (Horizon Publishers, 1978), carefully analyzes the teaching of the scriptures themselves to show the falseness of that doctrine, which is often held by modern apostate groups.

Post Date: 18th Jun, 2008 - 10:00pm / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory
A Friend

Mormon God-Adam Theory

I've always been excited by topics like this and cannot believe that this is the first time I've heard the Adam-God Theory. It really makes me want to get back in the Temple again with this in mind.

My question is, if LDS.org is the official website of the church, who moderates it? Who makes the suggestions on recommended readings? And does that mean that if the church endorses a book such as the above, then they are effectively calling me an apostate if I come to believe in the Adam-God theory?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
18th Jun, 2008 - 10:04pm / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory - Page 7

Nephilim, in my opinion just because the Church official site suggests some books does not mean too much, it is just that...suggestions for reading, no Church official doctrine. Having said that, I don't think they will call you an Apostate unless you teach the Adam-God theory in public, but surely they will say you believe in false doctrine.

Of course I don't believe none of that, for me it was clear that Brigham Young taught it.

Post Date: 26th Jun, 2008 - 7:57pm / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory
A Friend

Mormon God-Adam Theory Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 7

I did some more reading on the subject of why Brigham Young taught it and why he wasn't considered an apostate. In a letter from Bruce R. McConkie to a professor of BYU, Eugene England, who was also teaching the Adam God Theory, he basically quotes the prophet Joseph Smith in saying that "a prophet is not always a prophet, only when he is acting as such". Basically meaning that no man is infallible and sometimes they err in doctrine. On whether or not this negates the statement that no prophet will lead the church astray, McConkie just reiterates that the Lord works precept upon precept and the early prophets did not understand the Godhead as well as his contemporaries. In the same letter, McConkie repeatedly states that God is omniscient and is not a "labratory student of the universe" as if that were reason enough that Adam could not be God. I failed to see how any scripture referring to the Omniscience of God rules out Adam as our Heavenly Father. I even read through the entire Temple Ceremony again with this concept in mind and nothing seemed contradictory..

It's funny to think that Bruce R. McConkie had to retract statements from Brigham Young as well as himself once the Revelation of Black and the Priesthood came out. I remember asking my mission president about the passages in "Mormon Doctrine" about blacks and the Priesthood and then he simply reminded me that the "Official" Mormon Doctine can be found in the Bible Dictionary and not to rely heavily upon Bruce R. McConkie's work.

The letter referred to above can be found here: https://www.mrm.org/topics/documents-speech...-eugene-england

+  « First of 10 pgs.  3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

> TOPIC: Mormon God-Adam Theory

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,