Mormon God-Adam Theory - Page 8 of 10

Adam-God doctrine makes no sense to a believer - Page 8 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 21st Sep, 2013 - 10:12pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 10 pgs.  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
  Mormon God-Adam Theory Also known as the Adam God Doctrine as promoted by Brigham Young - "As Man is... God once was... As God is... Man may become"
26th Jun, 2008 - 8:14pm / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory - Page 8

Ah, Bruce R. Mc Conkie and his famous (infamous?)"Mormon Doctrine". I think he said way too many things in the past that he needed to keep to himself but he didn't. Anyhow, how can he possible know whether the early Prophets did not understand much about the Godhead? spock.gif

Rather off topic, but...
Nephilim, there is a thread called "The Prophet said so, is that enough?" within the LDS Mature board that I am sure you will enjoy participating. But please make sure to read ALL the pages within the thread so you will know what we have been discussing.

https://www.bordeglobal.com/foruminv/index.php?showtopic=6565

Sponsored Links:
27th Jun, 2008 - 9:47am / Post ID: #

Theory God-Adam Mormon

QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 6-Mar 08, 6:57 PM)
I was reading this poem of Eliza R. Snow, isn't a proof in itself that this doctrine was indeed taught? Just a little extract:

I don't think anyone disputes that the Adam-God theory was taught by various people in the past. The question should be, is it true or not? If it is not true then whether or not Brigham Young or anyone else believed it or taught it is irrelevant. Just because someone pondered or expressed an opinion, or wrote a poem does not make it doctrinal. After all, it is still just a theory and not Church doctrine. If it were we would find it in in canonized scripture. The word of God is not hidden away in some obscure journals and writings. It is in the Bible and the Book of Mormon for all the world to have access to. If we want to find proof of the truthfulness or falseness of the Adam-God theory we should be looking to the scriptures to find it.

Reconcile Edited: alskann on 27th Jun, 2008 - 9:48am

27th Jun, 2008 - 11:58am / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory Studies Doctrine Mormon

Alskan:

I don't think anyone disputes that the Adam-God theory was taught by various people in the past.

Just because someone pondered or expressed an opinion, or wrote a poem does not make it doctrinal. After all, it is still just a theory and not Church doctrine.

Interesting. First of all, these two statements kind of contradict each other. First you acknowledge it was taught but then you suggest Young and others expressed an "opinion" on the matter? We are speaking about a Prophet who publicly taught this at Church meetings for the whole congregation, it seems to me that was not just merely his opinion. From his own mouth:

How much unbelief exists in the minds of Latter-day Saints in regard to one particular doctrine which I revealed to them, and which God revealed to me - namely that Adam is our father and God ..Then he said, 'I want my children who are in the spirit world to come and live here. I once dwelt upon an earth something like this, in a mortal state. I was faithful. I received my crown and exaltation...I want my children that were born to me in the spirit world to come here and take tabernacles of flesh that their spirits may have a house, a tabernacle...' (Brigham Young, Deseret Weekly News, June 18, 1873, page 308; Deseret Evening News, June 14, 1873)

Some years ago I advanced adoctrine with regard to Adam being our Father and God...It is one of the most glorious revealments of the economy of heaven... (President Brigham Young, in the Tabernacle, General Conference, October 8, 1861, 10:30 a.m.; Brigham Young Addresses, 1860-1864, Vol. 4, by Elden J. Watson, sheet 134 (in chronological order), Historical Dept. Church, Ms d 1234, Box 49 fd 8)

I think it is clear as water that Young taught it as doctrine and not as his opinion only. If you believe with the concept of "The Prophet said so is that enough?" (which it seems to me based on your posts in that thread) how come you are wondering if those words are true or not coming out from the mouth of a Prophet of God?

On top of that Kimball denounces the theory as "false doctrine" which clearly and indirectly acknowledges it was taught as such but puts a big amount of pressure on Kimball and the whole idea of "The Prophet cannot lead you astray". One of the many instances of a modern Prophet contradicting/correcting a past one.

Post Date: 27th Jun, 2008 - 6:30pm / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory
A Friend

Page 8 Theory God-Adam Mormon

Alaskann,

I wholeheartedly agree with you! In my opinion, I have yet to find a scripture that refutes the possibility that Adam is our Heavenly Father as well as our Mortal Father. From my understanding, should I live to fulfill all the commandments and receive my exaltation, then Adam would forever be my Heavenly Father (Elohim) and would help me to create a world in which my spirit children could receive their bodies and I would be the one to Father that world in the flesh. Thus, being the Adam to my children for their carnal understanding. Always my opinion of course...

Rather off topic, but...

I once heard that Jesus Christ's sacrifice was a "Universal" sacrifice applying to other worlds as well. I'm too lazy to look for a reference right now but wondering if anyone has heard the same. If our Heavenly Father has children on other worlds, could it make sense that they were from a different heavenly mother? This is probably better for the Celestial marriage thread, but as it relates to Adam and Jehovah, does Christ's sacrifice cover our posterity as well? Or will my spiritual firstborn be required to perform the same sacrifice?

Reconcile Message Edited...
LDS_forever: I fixed your offtopic tags.

Post Date: 26th Jul, 2012 - 11:51pm / Post ID: #

Theory God-Adam Mormon

Name: Jennifer

Comments: This needs to be taken for just what it was like the title of this topic says "theory". I think the leaders back then just spoke too much and they forgot sometimes that people listened too intently. I don't think this was meant to be taken as actual doctrine.

Post Date: 6th Sep, 2013 - 2:47am / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory
A Friend

Mormon God-Adam Theory

President Young never said his teachings about Adam were a theory. Others, who were never ordained to be the revelator for the church, are the ones who call it a theory. President Young, who was ordained as the revelator for the church, taught that it was revealed to him, and that Joseph Smith taught it to him. But I agree that the church should leave it alone until they receive further revelation. If one believes that President Young could be wrong about his Adam-God teachings he made in General Conference, then that one must also believe that all the other church Presidents can be wrong in things they teach in GC. Right?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
6th Sep, 2013 - 11:38am / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory - Page 8

international QUOTE
When Adam opened his eyes the first time, and beheld the world about him, he broke into praise of God, "How great are Thy works, O Lord!" But his admiration for the world surrounding him did not exceed the admiration all creatures conceived for Adam. They took him to be their creator, and they all came to offer him adoration. But he spoke: "Why do you come to worship me? Nay, you and I together will acknowledge the majesty and the might of Him who hath created us all. "The Lord reigneth," " he continued, " "He is apparelled with majesty." "

And not alone the creatures on earth, even the angels thought Adam the lord of all, and they were about to salute him with "Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord of hosts," when God caused leep to fall upon him, and then the angels knew that he was but a human being. Legends of the Jews page 64.

I don't know how old this legend is, but needless to say, Brigham Young wasn't alone in this theory. Anciently, names was important, you can bless, and curse, someone, or something, if you knew their name, this is why there was so much effort in trying to find out Gods name, so people could control Him. I can see why people would think Adam was God, since he was the first human on the planet, and named all the creatures on earth, this would be a very god-like thing to do.

Reconcile Edited: haleray on 6th Sep, 2013 - 11:40am

Post Date: 21st Sep, 2013 - 10:12pm / Post ID: #

Mormon God-Adam Theory
A Friend

Mormon God-Adam Theory Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 8

Adam-God doctrine makes no sense to a believer in the creedal understanding of God: an immaterial, uncreated, infinite, incomprehensible, three-person "Being" outside of time and space that creates the universe with blank-check powers out of absolutely nothing.

To a Mormon, the creedal understanding of God is nonsense, and non-Biblical. It is Greek philosophy used by the Roman empire to hijack and monopolize Christianity.

Mormonism is based on more of what the Bible is: the "Word of the Lord" To the Prophets of Israel, and other writings by these Prophets.

The elements are eternal, including the life-intelligence in living beings such as ourselves that gives self-consciousness, self-will and unique personality. God does NOT create us, or anything, out of nothing-- so God is not responsible for evil in the least degree.

The eternal building blocks of the universe are right here on earth. There is NOTHING in heaven that is not, or was not, on an earth first in a preparatory state.

Jesus is not two beings at the same time (God and man). Jesus was the son of God because His literal Father is God. His Father has a resurrected body, because He was once a Son and lived on an earth. Jesus does the works of His Father, as a faithful "Son" Always does.

The terms Father and Son in EVERY OTHER USAGE refer to beings in a LINEAGE- except for the creedal "Father" and "Son".

The lineage of God has no beginning in Mormonism. This is admittedly hard to understand, but has to do with our incomplete understanding of what 'time" is.

All the infinite beings in the exalted lineages are in perfect unity as explained in John 17. So God in the Mormon faith is Eternal, Infinite and ONE. They have power over all powers that exist, so they are all-powerful. And so forth.

We are subject to three finite exalted beings as our Godhead. But they are in perfect unity with all exalted beings before them.

Besides the lineage of Saviors of worlds, there are also lineages of Joint Heirs with Saviors. These lineages includes men and women such as Abraham and Sarah.

Adam, in Adam-God doctrine, came to this earth with a resurrected body. He had been faithful to His Savior on a previous earth. He is the father of the Spirits of mankind that come to this earth. He is in a lineage of Joint Heirs.

We are in Adam's lineage, so we can also become Joint Heirs. We cannot become Saviors, as we are not in that lineage. Jesus was the Only Begotten of His Father (The Savior of Adam on a previous earth) and is the only one in that Lineage to live on this earth.

Thus, those who do the works of Abraham and Sarah, and gain a throne as taught in the book of Revelations, will have the same reward as Adam and Eve have. Thus Adam is their head, and their Father and God.

They will be resurrected, begat spirit children (Probably with the help of others who have eternal marriages but do not gain the fullness), go down as a Michael with their Savior Jesus, a Jehovah, and create an earth. And then come and become Adam and Eve to begin giving temporal bodies to these spirit children.

The best understanding of Adam-God is had in the recent Mormon revelations found in the Second Book of Commandments. Read especially Sections 22 and 23.

+  « First of 10 pgs.  4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

> TOPIC: Mormon God-Adam Theory

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,