Pride

Pride - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 17th Oct, 2008 - 12:16pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

3rd Jul, 2003 - 8:31pm / Post ID: #

Pride

Pride

Is there such a thing as good Pride? Should we really use the word 'proud'? I have one prophet say that there is no such thing as good pride, but at the same time I have heard other prophets use the word in the speech. This thread is a study in 'pride' or 'proud'.

Proverbs 27:1 Boast not thyself of to morrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth.

Its also helpful to note that we have to bridle our words, as we have no control over the next second, minute, hour or day to come...

Sponsored Links:
3rd Jul, 2003 - 11:27pm / Post ID: #

Pride

When this topic comes into a conversation I think about that there is no part in the Scriptures where Heavely Father or JesusChrist said they are 'proud' about something. When Jesus was baptized and the Holy Ghost was in a shape of a dove and the voice of Heavely Father was heard, this is what he said:

"This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased"

Notice he didn't say 'This is my beloved Son, whom I feel proud of'.

17th Sep, 2008 - 1:13am / Post ID: #

Pride Studies Doctrine Mormon

I have heard this word being used backwards and forwards in similar manner to how at some times we are told not to use "Mormon" and then at other times you hear everyone using "Mormon". I believe most people use it based on context, but could that just be hiding something else.

Does one have to be proud to be patriotic for instance?

28th Sep, 2008 - 10:21pm / Post ID: #

Pride

Summarizing the dictionary definition, and what other people have described it, it is both good and bad, I mean that there are two different senses, honor, self-respect, being patriotic to your country, and so on. All these things are good, as long as you don't "boast of thy self", and you always are humble and think as a child, get on your knees and pray to God.

29th Sep, 2008 - 4:00pm / Post ID: #

Pride

For me patriotism and pride is two different things. Pride in a scriptural context means you are not teachable, the opposite of humility.

30th Sep, 2008 - 7:46am / Post ID: #

Pride

This is an interesting topic. I like the definition McKay gave for a spiritual context.

It is words like this that remind me of what a great deceiver Satan is. I think he takes the idea of "pleased" or bringing pleasure to which is usually somebody else or something else such as a child...ex. "I am so proud of what you did!" and turns it into a self-serving idea of pride in one's self--an idea of what WE can do without Gods help.

I heard a concept that I took hold of last year and really liked. It didn't make sense when I first listened to it but the more I thought about it--the more I agreed.

I don't recall the exact words they said, but this is basically what I have formed from it.

We should think about what the world is teaching us.  The buzz word is "SELF-Esteem. or to esteems ones self, which is contrary to what we should be teaching which is, we are NOTHING and through God we become something.

So instead of teaching my kids about self-esteem or to be "proud" of themselves I try to teach them to look at their talents that God has given them and teach that HE is the source, without him they would be nothing.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
1st Oct, 2008 - 5:59am / Post ID: #

Pride

QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 3-Jul 03, 6:27 PM)

"This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased"

Notice he didn't say 'This is my beloved Son, whom I feel proud of'.

LDS have you been eavesdropping? This is what I tried to explain in a lesson I taught recently. And when my son left on his mission the best way I could explain my feelings were that I was "well pleased."

I agree with what AlaskanLDS said. If we learn to recognize that it all comes from the Lord instead of pride we will have gratitude and humility. And we will be a step closer to becoming one with Him.

Post Date: 17th Oct, 2008 - 12:16pm / Post ID: #

Pride Mormon Doctrine Studies

Name: Jaws

Comments: In the scriptures the word pride was always used to reference a negative or sinful. Now, pride is used in places the translators of the scriptures would have stated well pleased. Not because they chose between the two, but because the word pride was never used for something positive, like it is now. Now the word pride has both neg. and pos. meanings. If you are proud of your kids say it. Beware of Pride is an often misunderstood and misquoted talk. Similar to Money is the root of all evil when it is the love of that is evil.

> TOPIC: Pride

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,