Holy Ghost - Page 2 of 3

I have a small construction business (Sub-contractor). - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 23rd Sep, 2004 - 3:56am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Constant Companionship of the Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost Related Information to Holy Ghost
Post Date: 23rd Dec, 2003 - 3:47pm / Post ID: #

Holy Ghost
A Friend

Holy Ghost - Page 2

I have found that since I joined the Church that the Holy Ghost has really worked on me. I guess I could say to mold me into a better person than what I used to be. I am much more sensative towards people and situations than I used to be. My tastes in music and movies has changed as well. Music I used to listen to all the time I find less enjoyable or even so far as to say a bit offensive. I don't watch certain types of movies like I used to either. But lately, I have really felt the presence of the Holy Ghost very strong with me. Especially during my most trying times when I used to just give up and become bitter. But I don't become bitter much anymore. But I have also found that I cry alot now, especially when I am very happy or have been touched or truly blessed by Heavenly Father.

Sponsored Links:
23rd Dec, 2003 - 4:58pm / Post ID: #

Ghost Holy

What a wonderful experience Mss!!!! I'm very glad that the Holy Ghost is working in such a way in your life. smile.gif

24th Dec, 2003 - 7:41am / Post ID: #

Holy Ghost Studies Doctrine Mormon

I have really felt the presence of the Holy Ghost very strong with me. Especially during my most trying times when I used to just give up and become bitter.
That is a wonderful gift, my friend. Taking the bitterness out of sorrows or trials makes life easier to bear. I'm awed that you can recognize what's happening!

I could say to mold me into a better person than what I used to be.
This is one of the fundamental events of the Gospel -- to change you into a different person, the Change of Heart.

"12 And according to his faith there was a mighty change wrought in his heart." (Book of Mormon | Alma 5:12)

It's wonderful that you're experiencing this. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Roz

9th Jan, 2004 - 12:14am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Ghost Holy

I got a new book for Christmas, Following the Light of Christ into His Presence. It has really changed my views of the Holy Ghost.

The author, John Pontius, uses very clear language, with extensive scriptural support to show that our consciences, defined as the Light of Christ, are powered by the Holy Ghost. He also show that as we listen to the promptings of our consciences, we become ever more able to hear those promptings. The more attuned we become to the Light of Christ, the more and more the Holy Ghost will touch us in even more clear, powerful manifestations.

The most important point he makes is that it is not when we listen to the Light of Christ to NOT do something that we gain in spiritual power, but when we act on the promptings TO do something.

To take this into real eternal realms, he points out that we must "keep the commandments" fully in order to become Celestial beings. But who hasn't been overwhelmed by the sheer number of things we are commanded to do, from the obvious such as tithing, all our meetings, home/visiting teaching, visiting the sick, teaching our children, and doing genealogical research to the less obvious - the "get your house in order", "paint the barn", write a journal, etc? However, when we are guided in all things by the Spirit, through the Light of Christ, we are shown exactly which commandments it is necessary for us to follow at the moment. Perhaps a few fences won't get mended, or the house will be a mess, or maybe our barn won't get painted, but since we are "holding to the rod" by following the exact guidance of the Spirit, we are truly keeping the commandments.

In another direction, he points out some aspects of Lehi's dream that many of us probably don't really think about. For example, whenever there is discussion about the dream, many people try to explain the Tree and the Rod of Iron. However, the Book of Mormon clearly states that the Tree is, simply, the Love of God, which is sweet and desireable above all else. Putting any other interpretation on the Tree is to wrest the scriptures.

The Rod of Iron is explained in the Book of Mormon as the "Word of God." However, if you think about it, this is just a little bit ambiguous. Does it simply mean the scriptures? If so, then the Rod isn't all that reliable when you think about the many schisms, both within the Church and without, based entirely upon purely scriptural understanding. Does it mean the words of the living Prophet? Yet this can't be so, because the living Prophet doesn't give us guidance on all things. Perhaps it is both. But we see schism within Mormonism right now based on this very concept.

However, when we take the scriptures, combined with the words of Latter-day prophets, combined with the Light of Christ, it all becomes clear. Now, the Light of Christ leads us to understand how to apply the scriptures and the words of the prophets to our exact circumstances, to keep us moving along the strait and narrow path.

How then, do we distinguish the conscience from other voices frequently heard in our heads? By considering the types of messages each gives us.

The Holy Ghost speaks with a clear, unambiguous message. It is positive and leads towards Christ. Several scriptures, mainly in the Book of Mormon lead us to understand that anything (the voice of conscience) that testifies of Christ or leads us to do good is of God.

Our own internal voices are normally very ambiguous, questioning, wondering. We normally think things such as, "I wonder what I should do to hear the Spirit," or "what would happen if I didn't do that." (LDS_Forever, think of your questioning the message you got.)

The voice(s) of the opposition are also very clear and unambiguous. They try to flood us with reasons not to listen to the conscience. For example, when it is time for family prayer, we may hear thoughts such as, "I'm so tired, let's just forget it tonight," or, "I get so tired of the children fussing during the prayer." We will frequently be almost overwhelmed by the sheer volume of such thoughts.

So, whenever we consider a commandment, and we come up two or three "hands" on it, we should be able to more easily distinguish where each one comes from.

"I know I need to pay my tithing this month, but you know, the car needs a new set of tires, the rent just went up, and we are short on groceries, I wonder if I could catch up on it next month if I only pay half this month.

So, if we want to have the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost, which leads to the Baptism of Fire, and eventually to exaltation, we have to first listen to the subtle, quiet promptings of our own consciences.

NightHawk

Post Date: 9th Jan, 2004 - 11:39am / Post ID: #

Ghost Holy

AGene posted the following yesterday but it showed up as 'unregistered'. I am posting it here:

QUOTE (Nighthawk @ 8-Jan 04, 4:14 PM)
The Rod of Iron is explained in the Book of Mormon as the "Word of God."  However, if you think about it, this is just a little bit ambiguous.  Does it simply mean the scriptures?  If so, then the Rod isn't all that reliable when you think about the many schisms, both within the Church and without, based entirely upon purely scriptural understanding.  Does it mean the words of the living Prophet?  Yet this can't be so, because the living Prophet doesn't give us guidance on all things.  Perhaps it is both.  But we see schism within Mormonism right now based on this very concept.

Isn't the Word of God Jesus Christ?
John 1: 1
1 IN the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
When I looked this up using the lds web site, the references for Word are/is this:
TG Jesus Christ, Firstborn.
TG Jesus Christ, Foreordained.
c TG Jesus Christ, Messenger of the Covenant.
TG Jesus Christ, Relationships with the Father.
d TG Jesus Christ, Jehovah.
e TG Jesus Christ, Authority of.

The Rod of Iron is explained in the Book of Mormon as the "Word of God."
This could be Jesus Christ.

10th Jan, 2004 - 2:36pm / Post ID: #

Holy Ghost

Nighthawk said:

How then, do we distinguish the conscience from other voices frequently heard in our heads? By considering the types of messages each gives us.
It's amazing that we can have any original thought at all, with all this going on in our heads... But I do understand.

I hate those instances where some bizarre, completely unworthy thought pops into my head. I always want to say, "Where did that come from?" But, of course, I know. It's hard enough dealing with the daily deluge of interference from media, other people, work, and then have to sort out all the thoughts in my head.

However, the Book of Mormon clearly states that the Tree is, simply, the Love of God, which is sweet and desireable above all else. Putting any other interpretation on the Tree is to wrest the scriptures.
That's something I noticed while reading the BoM recently -- there is no other interpretation there except "the Love of God." Period. I don't see how people can put any other spin on that. But they try! smile.gif

Roz

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 22nd Sep, 2004 - 10:05am / Post ID: #

Holy Ghost - Page 2

"When we understand our baptismal covenant and the gift of the Holy
Ghost, it will change our lives and will establish our total allegiance to the
kingdom of God. When temptations come our way, if we will listen, the Holy
Ghost will remind us that we have promised to remember our Savior and obey
the commandments of God."

Robert D. Hales, "The Covenant of Baptism: To Be in the Kingdom and of the Kingdom," Ensign, Nov. 2000, 7

Post Date: 23rd Sep, 2004 - 3:56am / Post ID: #

Holy Ghost
A Friend

Holy Ghost Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

I have a small construction business (Sub-contractor). It seems to be on the downward spiral. Initially it was built on deception, lies and trickery. We put out a good product, or at least that is how I rationalize it. The business end however is not based on any morals. It is based secrets and money. Usually the home owner has to pay. To take advantage of ignorants? Lately I have been given promptings on what to do. While very comforting it is also very aggravating. I have found myself lately telling the contractors "no I cant do that". They say "you better get your act together son". Me "I thought I was, and don't call me son". A couple of weaks ago I saw that nothing they (house contractors) said added up. In fact I investigated the subject in question. I found that not only could I be used as a scape goat (legally). But they were stealing money from me with insurance that never existed. Thousands. More than I ever got out of the dishonesty. I was told that that was business. There is no honor amongst thieves. I used to say "it is a dog eat dog world". I guess if that is how you are, those are the kinda of people that surround you. I am thankful for the promptings, but it is going to be a rough time for repentance. And I thought I was being so smart.

I used to snicker at my mom for crying when she read the scriptures. From what you all have written that must have been the holy ghost and normal. I guess I will apologize to my mother for the 20th time this weak.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Holy Ghost

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,