If I won the Lotto

If Won Lotto - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 24th May, 2006 - 11:54am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
29th Mar, 2003 - 4:44pm / Post ID: #

If I won the Lotto

If I won the Lotto

spock.gif Suppose you were owed some money by an individual. He did not have all the money to give you so (unknown to you) he puts a lotto ticket that has not been drawn yet in an envelope with the cash he owes for you. When you get home you see that the cash is short the amount you were supposed to get, you notice the lotto ticket and its number with a note explaining why the guy put it in the envelope. You put it on the table and forget about it until you hear on TV that your ticket is the winner! Would you cash the ticket in?

Sponsored Links:
30th Mar, 2003 - 12:59am / Post ID: #

Lotto won If

Of course I will, you want the truth right? laugh.gif. I guess that's why God will never bless me with something like that!

30th Mar, 2003 - 7:36pm / Post ID: #

If I won the Lotto Studies Doctrine Mormon

I guess that's why God will never bless me with something like that!

Well, that is just it... God will never 'bless' you with that because it is contrary to his wisdom and why would you consider it a blessing? I think it may be more of a curse.

Here is a real example. There was an active elder in the Church who had a calling of responsibility that won the lotto, he left the Church, went with another woman having left his wife and of course is fully integrated in the world.

30th Mar, 2003 - 10:31pm / Post ID: #

Lotto won If

A curse? 30 million dollars is a curse for you?. Well, not to me sir. I know your point, money can blind people and turning away from the good things of life but let's be honest. They can turn themselves away without winning the Lotto.
But yes, gambling is a evil thing that every LDS member should avoid as much as he/she can.

23rd May, 2006 - 12:27am / Post ID: #

Lotto won If

Joseph Smith said somewhere (I do not have a reference at hand, but it was in relation to someone saying they would always remain faithful) you really cannot say what you will do in the future, and it may be simple to say now you will not do anything with the ticket, but being placed in such a situation is what let's you know what spiritual might you have... who you worship: God or mammon. Add to that the element of you are poor, or your mother is dying and the money could help her live, and so forth and then you know how the decision seemingly gets harder.

23rd May, 2006 - 1:57pm / Post ID: #

If I won the Lotto

A very good question, and it brings up a lot to think about.

Gambling is wrong. It is wrong because it fosters the idea of getting something for nothing. That is why I don't purchase lottery tickets, play the ponies, or stand for hours in front of a slot machine.

Having said that, someone gave you a lottery ticket. You didn't purchase it, you didn't go into it with any expectation, other than to get your money back that you were owed.

I wouldn't hesitate to cash in the ticket. Obviously, God DID bless you that way, since this was a very unusual circumstance. After that, the big question is, how would you use that money?

After all, that is where it is easy to see how wrong gambling and the lottery really is. Very, very few of the people who win the lottery are at all wise with their winnings (large winnings here, not the small, $500 scratch-and-win stuff). Almost every big winner, after just a few years, is in all sorts of serious trouble. Divorce, drugs, being scammed, everything else you can imagine. Not many of them have done anything really good with the money.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
24th May, 2006 - 8:13am / Post ID: #

If won Lotto

Yes, I would cash the lotto ticket in. Gambling is wrong, but my reasoning is that I didn't gamble to get the lottery ticket, it was given to me. Winning a lot of money is dangerous, but I have a good head on my shoulders and could keep my sense of values intact. I could do a lot of good with that money, and not just for me.

24th May, 2006 - 11:54am / Post ID: #

If won Lotto Mormon Doctrine Studies

I would absolutely cash in the ticket.. Now, what would I do with the money? You didn't ask that. wink.gif My intentions are pure.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: If I won the Lotto

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,