Every Member A Missionary

Every Member Missionary - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 17th Jan, 2005 - 4:22am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
19th Jan, 2004 - 2:00am / Post ID: #

We are commanded, in several different scriptures, and encouraged by our leaders to be actively sharing the gospel with friends, family, and others we come into contact with.

Have you ever fellowshipped a friend or family member into the church?

How often do you share the fact that you are LDS with total strangers?

Are you a shining example of an LDS church member? If not, what could you do to improve your image?

Are you embarrassed to share the gospel? If so, why?

"President Hinckley has called us to make a concerted effort to double the number of converts who are currently being baptized each year. "The big initial task," he said, "is first to find interested investigators." To do that, he said, we must join in what he called the "better way":

"That [better] way is through the members of the Church. Whenever there is a member who introduces an investigator, there is an immediate support system. ...

"The full-time missionaries may do the actual teaching, but the member, wherever possible, will back up that teaching with the offering of his home to carry on this missionary service. He will bear sincere testimony of the divinity of the work. He will be there to answer questions when the missionaries are not around. He will be a friend to the convert who is making a big and often difficult change."

That is an inspired insight and a prophetic challenge!"

Dallin H. Oaks, "The Role of Members in Conversion," Ensign, Mar. 2003, 52

Roz

Sponsored Links:
19th Jan, 2004 - 4:11am / Post ID: #

Missionary Member Every

Very good topic Farseer, I am glad you thought of it, I am surprised I did not add it here before, probably because I have one similar in the RM section, but it is not the same as this.

Have you ever fellowshipped a friend or family member into the church? Yes

How often do you share the fact that you are LDS with total strangers? Whenever opportunity arises

Are you a shining example of an LDS church member? Shining? No!
If not, what could you do to improve your image? Loads, we have a word limit here.

Are you embarrassed to share the gospel? If so, why? No

One thing I am worried about though, especially in the District I am in... there is a constant chant to bring investigators into Church because they want new members in preparation for a stake, but at the same time you do not see any move to help the members, especially the less active ones that just join and leave. This makes me disgruntled, and sometimes I feel that there needs to be greater preparation FIRST before I attempt to bring people to know about the Gospel, only to leave because of a wayward Branch.

20th Jan, 2004 - 3:07am / Post ID: #

Every Member A Missionary Studies Doctrine Mormon

Silly me, I forgot to answer my own questions...

Have you ever fellowshipped a friend or family member into the church? not yet, but I'm working on one

How often do you share the fact that you are LDS with total strangers? only when I find an opportunity to bring it up..

Are you a shining example of an LDS church member? I wish! I'm still struggling ...
If not, what could you do to improve your image? Plenty I could do to improve, but one thing that is really buggin me right now: My yard is a wreck... I just don't have time to take care of it, and I can't get my son out there to get his hands dirty... I will probably have to pay for someone to help out. (I know, that's a minor issue, just the one that's bugging me the most at the mo')

Are you embarrassed to share the gospel? If so, why? I am somtimes shy about it, because I don't know how people will react (that "fear of man" thing in another thread...)

JB said:

I feel that there needs to be greater preparation FIRST before I attempt to bring people to know about the Gospel
I completely agree. I've seen new converts, so excited! ... just to be disappointed within a couple of months (or weeks) when us "old" members don't share in their enthusiasm, dont' visit/home teach them, don't show forth any interest in them whatsoever. Or some thoughtless person says something rude or out of line during a lesson, and offends them. It's very sad. We are encouraged to fellowship them into the church, but not much is said about what happens after they are baptized.

IMO
Roz

20th Jan, 2004 - 9:46pm / Post ID: #

Missionary Member Every

This is an especially difficult topic for me. I am definately not good as a member missionary. In fact, I act like a dog with it's back against the wall, when I feel like I am being conned into missionary work. Let me give an example.

A few weeks ago our Ward had this combined RS and Priesthood meeting. We watched the CD that was sent out in the Ensign recently. The Ward had ordered extra copies and we were encouraged to take as many as we could think of people with whom we might like to share. Nothing was mentioned about reporting back.

Then, a week or maybe two later, we were all asked to write down contact information for the people with whom we had shared these DVDs. I refused to do so. If you want me to commit to sharing something, then ask me to commit to it, don't try tricking me. I consider that dishonest and don't think it is right to have it happen in Church. Now, I have no interest in sharing the ones I did think about sharing. I feel like I have been used and I am annoyed about it.

I struggle with sharing the Gospel. I am really working on being more open about my faith with people, but it is difficult for me. So, when I think I am being cornered or tricked into doing it, I lash against it.

I don't know why this is so difficult for me, but it is. I didn't used to even tell people what my faith/religion is. I now have gotten to the point where I can readily tell people I am LDS and to me that is a big step.

I always try to be a good example and I ask every day in my morning prayer that I might be an example for others in how I live my life that day and in all that I do. I am just not ready to go the next step. Someday, I hope I will be, but it won't be because somebody tricked me into it.

Are you a shining example of an LDS church member?

I think I am. This doesn't require one to be perfect. I am no where near perfect. However, I always try to remember who I am and set a good Christian example for those around me. I know that many people I work with have been impressed with how I have handled a very difficult situation this year. They all know my faith. I tell them, when the opportunity arises, how my faith has helped me handle things. They know I do my best to live what I profess to believe. At the same time, they know I am human as are we all. So, I think it is possible to be a shining example of an LDS church member without being perfect, but we must honestly be striving to live as perfectly as we are capable. I don't lie, cheat, or steal for example. However, sometimes I might get angry when I shouldn't.

I think one of the reasons I hesitate to share the Gospel is I don't want to have to defend my beliefs. It is sacred to me. I am not mature enough maybe to be put in a situation where I need to defend my beliefs and do so eloquently. (I have found myself in this situation before.) I don't want to be attacked for what I believe so I keep it to myself.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 20th Jan, 2004 - 9:49pm

20th Jan, 2004 - 9:51pm / Post ID: #

Missionary Member Every

Tenaheff, perhaps the reason it is difficult for you is because those around you that are non-members are not aware of your membership in the Church or maybe you feel you do not portray or give the aura of a 'spiritual person' for them to take you seriously?

20th Jan, 2004 - 10:27pm / Post ID: #

They know I am a member where I am currently and most of them know I am religious. I have no problem with that, but I struggle with taking the next step which is sharing exactly what my religious beliefs are and ultimately with inviting them to meet with the missionaries.

I think I am spiritual and I think those closest to me at work believe that also, yet I still hesitate to go the next step.

Of course, it is true that the only ones who really know how deeply I feel my faith are also religious themselves so I don't feel comfortable suggesting I have a better way. Even though I do feel comfortable telling them how my faith sustains me. Those who aren't religious, you are right, I am not comfortable making it clear to them how important my faith is to me. Maybe I am afraid of them thinking less of me? I don't know why I should care, but apparently I do. sad.gif

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
21st Jan, 2004 - 2:20pm / Post ID: #

Every Member Missionary

It's that "great and spacious" building that Lehi sees in his vision... those people scorned and mocked the people of God, so much so that many saints felt ashamed and walked away.

"Fear of Man" -- I also have difficulty fearing I will be mocked or scorned. I actually have a really good friend I have been discussing gospel principles with, but even he, who is a *good* friend, mocks me when I relate instances of spiritual significance to me. I had to finally tell him to stop it -- "don't knock it till you've tried it... don't make fun of something you don't understand." He's backed off, and we do still discuss gospel things, but I hesitate to share really personal events now. But he is also one of those who wants to "logic" it all out, and doesn't understand the concept of faith -- or just refuses to accept it.

However, in spite of all that, I continue to speak of my faith to him. He continues to ask questions. Maybe someday...?

Roz

17th Jan, 2005 - 4:22am / Post ID: #

Every Member Missionary Mormon Doctrine Studies

The Lord works in very mysterious ways. I suddenly have an opportunity to share the gospel with a family that has just moved into town a couple of weeks ago. They have a daughter in the same classroom as my daughter, and the two girls have hit it off really well. The first thing that popped into my head when I met them yesterday and shook hands was a whisper... "fellowship." It has been on my mind ever since.

I will post some more details of this event in my blog, because there are other circumstances that are very interesting about this situation but are offtopic. I just thought it was exciting to have a family just fall into my lap that seems ready for fellowshipping, and that the Lord apparently needs me to do the footwork.

Roz

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Every Member A Missionary

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,