Where did Lehi Land? - Page 2 of 3

Calvin, good points. In my opinion, they landed - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 29th Jun, 2010 - 10:22pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Post Date: 24th Mar, 2005 - 1:47pm / Post ID: #

Where did Lehi Land?
A Friend

Where did Lehi Land? - Page 2

The Prophet Joseph Smith said, "... and that Lehi went down by the Red Sea to the great southern Ocean, and crossed over to this land, landed a little south of the Isthmus of Darien..." (TPJS pg. 267)

An Isthmus is a narrow neck of land. I still haven't been able to find where Darien is. Just from this it is telling us that he landed a little past where present day Panama is.

Reconcile Edited: Weisenberger on 24th Mar, 2005 - 1:48pm

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 25th Oct, 2008 - 2:41pm / Post ID: #

Land Lehi Where

Name: HorseSense

Comments: For many years the landing site was thought to be a prophecy from Joseph Smith, but it was realized at the end of the nineteenth century that it was only the words of Frederick G. Williams, who claimed that an angel told him (Williams) where Lehi landed.

Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, page 214: "There have also been ministering angels in the Church which were of Satan appearing as an angel of light."

The work beginning with Thomas S. Furgeson in the 1950s led to the search in Central America. Now we face two Cumorahs, as well as disregard for the North American Indian. Only a plan brought to fruition by forces of darkness (1/3) could wreak so much havock.

B. H. Roberts knew that the future generations would have to face this. Our faith can be hijacked by some within the church who no longer believe, but because it is a good organization they remain. The two Cumorah nonsense will destroy faith more efficiently than most realize. Read what Joseph Fielding Smith had to say about this.

The Hill Cumorah in New York is the anchor. Landing sites are not important, North America is.

Post Date: 26th Oct, 2008 - 1:12am / Post ID: #

Where did Lehi Land? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Name: A Friend

Comments: Joseph Fielding Smith published:

The Church News, September 10, 1938

"We cannot say that the Nephites and Lamanites did not possess the territory of the United States and that the Hill Cumorah is in Central America. Neither can we say that the great struggle which resulted in the destruction of the Nephites took place in Central America"¦From all the evidence in the Book of Mormon, augmented by the testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith, these final battles took place in the territory known as the United States and in the neighborhood of the Great Lakes and hills of western New York. And here Moroni found the resting place for the sacred instruments that were committed to his care."

"Within recent years there has arisen among certain students of the Book of Mormon a theory to the effect that within the period covered by the Book of Mormon, the Nephites and Lamanites were confined almost entirely within the borders of the territory comprising Central America and the southern portion of Mexico - the isthmus of Tehauntepec probably the "narrow neck" of land spoken of in the Book of Mormon rather than the isthmus of Panama. This theory is founded upon the assumption that it was impossible for the colony of Lehi to multiply and fill the hemisphere within the limits of 1,000 years, or from the coming of Lehi from Jerusalem to the time of the destruction of the Nephites at the Hill Cumorah. Likewise, they further say, that migrations, building of cities, and the wars and contentions, preclude the possibility of the people spreading over great distances. It needs to be emphasized that this type of thinking has been circulated and promoted for nearly fifty years. Various writings have been published to prove this theory. In these publications, various authors use geological data and photographs to support their claim. Because of this theory, some members of the Church have become confused and greatly disturbed in their faith in the Book of Mormon." "Moreover, the Prophet Joseph Smith, himself, is on record, definitely declaring the present hill called Cumorah to be the exact hill spoken of in the Book of Mormon."

Doctrines of Salvation, Sermons and Writings of Joseph Fielding Smith, Compiled by Bruce R. McConkie, Volume 3, first published 1954.

Also, from an Apostle:
General Conference April 5, 1953 Afternoon Session
Elder Mark E. Petersen Of the Council of the Twelve Apostles

"There are those who live in open rebellion against the word of God and violate the commandments continuously and intentionally, and of course they always leave doubt in the minds of others, with some disrespect for them themselves.

And then there are the seeds that are sown by some of our teachers and preachers within our own organization who like to advance some new doctrine, or some new interpretation, or some speculative theory, or advance something that is sensational, because to advance the sensational seems to feed their ego inasmuch as they become the center of a discussion.

Most of our teachers and preachers are wonderful. They teach the truth; they bring about conversions in the minds and hearts of those who listen to them. But there are these few teachers who sow seeds of doubt by speculative and unsound doctrines, and as they do so they "soften up," to use the army expression, some of their hearers who might later be taken over by the apostate teachers who come among them.

I do not believe we should give credence to the highly speculative theories about Book of Mormon geography.

I do not believe that there were two Hill Cumorahs, one in Central America and the other one up in New York, for the convenience of the Prophet Joseph Smith, so that the poor boy would not have to walk clear to Central America to get the gold plates.

I do not believe we can be good Latter-day Saints and question the integrity of Joseph Smith.

I do not believe we can be good Latter-day Saints and question the testimony of the eleven witnesses of the Book of Mormon.

I do not believe you have a testimony of the truth if you question the accuracy of the translation of the Book of Mormon."

Post Date: 26th Oct, 2008 - 3:49am / Post ID: #

Where did Lehi Land?
A Friend

Page 2 Land Lehi Where

I agree with the Panama location. Come on, the narrow strip of land? I think it is Panama as well.

Post Date: 26th Oct, 2008 - 5:24am / Post ID: #

Land Lehi Where

Name: A Friend

Comments:

"... and that Lehi went down by the Red Sea to the great southern Ocean, and crossed over to this land, landed a little south of the Isthmus of Darien..."

These were not the words of Joseph Smith, John Taylor wrote it for the Times and Seasons. It was printed on September 15, 1842. Joseph was in hiding for much of the year to avoid arrest.

The landing site is not important, but the Book of Mormon events played out on a land of promise. That sure does not sound like Panama.

"We who live in America today are here because the Lord led Columbus to this land. We dwell here under the same divine decree, however, as did the ancient civilizations, who, being likewise led here, prospered when they obeyed the laws of the God of the land but who finally ripened in iniquity and, pursuant to the Lord's decree, were swept off the land."
Marion G. Romney in a fireside address given at Brigham Young University on 2 May 1976

18th Nov, 2008 - 8:06pm / Post ID: #

Where did Lehi Land?

I believe he landed in what is now Panama. The descriptions of the lands in the Book of Mormon seem to indicate that.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 29th Jun, 2010 - 6:45pm / Post ID: #

Where Lehi Land - Page 2

Name: Calvin

Comments: Lehi after landing said that they had landed in the promised land. Is Chile or Guatemala the promised land? Joseph Smith stated that the area around Adam Ondi Ahmen was the promised land. Perhaps the entire area from upstate New York to Jackson county Missouri are Book of Mormon lands? Joseph Smith also refered to an ancient Nephite tower or alter in the same vicinity of Adam Ondi Ahman. [..]

29th Jun, 2010 - 10:22pm / Post ID: #

Where Lehi Land Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

Calvin, good points. In my opinion, they landed somewhere in Panama or Guatemala. I don't feel they landed anywhere in the US.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Where did Lehi Land?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,