If you were in a jungle?

If Jungle - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 22nd May, 2006 - 11:49pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
12th Feb, 2003 - 7:40pm / Post ID: #

If you were in a jungle?

If you were in a jungle...

If you, (a single active LDS guy, an Elder, former missionary) were lost in a jungle, on a desolate island for the last five days, and save one other native woman (single and your age) you do not have much with you save for some potato chips and other simple things for survival would you still...

1. Decide any day as a Sabbath Day and keep it?
2. Use the potato chips as bread for sacrament and bless it?
3. Fast even though you find it hard to get food?
4. Baptise a native who heard your preaching of the Gospel?
5. Have relations with the native and form your own vow of marriage?

Along with the questions above, think, how long would you wait before you decide to do it? What if you see a year passes, two years, a decade, etc...

What are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links:
12th Feb, 2003 - 10:47pm / Post ID: #

jungle in you If

lol your thread made me laugh. I will definetly eat the potato chips when I get hungry, FOR SURE!!!! biggrin.gif I don't think I will fast willingly, because if there is no food, there is no option but to fast smile.gif
Regards to the native man in my case, it depends how he looks like lol. wink.gif

21st May, 2006 - 1:38am / Post ID: #

If you were in a jungle? Studies Doctrine Mormon

I probably would not make it my first priority, but eventually I would.

Well, I doubt it would last that long, but if there were left over I would use that or anything else.

Maybe short term.

Why not.

That one is a tough decision. I would really be waiting a long time before that happened.

Post Date: 22nd May, 2006 - 1:03am / Post ID: #

If you were in a jungle?
A Friend

jungle in you If

I guess it would depend upon your level of testimony and conversion to the Lord. If we are letting the Spirit direct us and guide us, the answers to these questions become a matter of prayer.

I am not sure how you could reliably keep track of what day it is. Also, is it appropriate to be blessing and partaking of the Sacrament without being asked to do so by someone holding the appropriate keys? (like the Bishop). Perhaps the best course of action would be to live each day unto the Lord and follow the guidance of the Spirit.

Again, until I am in that situation, I doubt the Spirit would reveal unto me what I should be doing.

Fast as the Spirit directs.

As the Spirit directs. You need to be given permission by the Bishop of the ward you are in before you can baptize or confirm someone a member of the church.

Temple covenants do not go out of force just because we are on a desert island. It would be a sin to have relations with that native woman as well as marrying under some pretended authority or exigency of circumstance.

22nd May, 2006 - 1:15am / Post ID: #

jungle in you If

Knowltonutah, everything should of course be based on how the spirit directs, however, the purpose of this Thread is to gather thoughts on what you 'think' you would do... just imagine if we answered every Thread here 'as the Spirit directs'.

Offtopic but,
Many of the questions asked here have actual Threads within the Board that deal with it more in depth. As a for instance: There is no written law that says you cannot use potato chips for the sacrament - in fact, there are war stories of Brethren who used potatoes as the Sacrament when they did not have bread, I remember reading such things in Seminary.

22nd May, 2006 - 3:08am / Post ID: #

If you were in a jungle?

lost in a jungle, on a desolate island for the last five days

Five days isn't all that long. I wouldn't be doing anything rash based on five days. How did I get there? What day was it when I "landed" on this island?

If I had no memory of those things, I would just start counting, and every seventh day would be the Sabbath. Yes, I would keep it to the best of my ability.

I doubt the potato chips would last very long, but I'm sure anything could be consecrated to replace bread, so long as it was done in the proper way. As a woman with no priesthood, I would still do my best to keep this ordinance.

3. Fast even though you find it hard to get food? If necessary, yes.

Without the priesthood, I would have no authority to do so. But I would sure teach the lessons!

This one is difficult. I think I would have to abstain. (Of course, that would all depend on how attractive our native is smile.gif )

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 22nd May, 2006 - 3:21am / Post ID: #

If you were in a jungle?
A Friend

If you in jungle

QUOTE (JB@Trinidad @ 21-May 06, 8:15 PM)
Knowltonutah, everything should of course be based on how the spirit directs, however, the purpose of this Thread is to gather thoughts on what you 'think' you would do... just imagine if we answered every Thread here 'as the Spirit directs'.

Offtopic but,
Many of the questions asked here have actual Threads within the Board that deal with it more in depth. As a for instance: There is no written law that says you cannot use potato chips for the sacrament - in fact, there are war stories of Brethren who used potatoes as the Sacrament when they did not have bread, I remember reading such things in Seminary.

I wasn't trying to be trite. Those were my geniune answers.

I don't know of any doctrinal answer to your questions. The situation you describe seems to be an opportunity to apostasize. I think listening to the counsel of the Lord IS the correct response to your questions.

22nd May, 2006 - 11:49pm / Post ID: #

If you in jungle Mormon Doctrine Studies

QUOTE (Knowltonutah)
The situation you describe seems to be an opportunity to apostasize.

An opportunity to apostasize? What are you saying here? What brought you to that conclusion? I think you need you need to read what I said above, again, I did not say I was looking for doctrinal answers, I was looking for what you 'think' you would do. I am saying that if we just simply add... "Well whatever the Spirit directs" then what is even the point of responding to a Thread like this? It is a given that we know that it must be by what the Spirit directs. We have a dozen and one Threads here that can be answered by "What the Spirit directs", but that is not how Discussion takes place.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: If you were in a jungle?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,