What about the Holy Ghost's body? - Page 3 of 10

Careful The Holy Ghost at times as the authority - Page 3 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 16th Aug, 2005 - 12:35am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (10) »
7th Jan, 2004 - 3:22am / Post ID: #

What about the Holy Ghost's body? - Page 3

Remember a couple of things. The book, Mormon Doctrine is NOT definitive of our doctrine. It was Bruce R. McConkie's educated opinion on things, and was published before he was called as an Apostle.

Second, his statement about nothing having been revealed about the origin and destiny of the Holy Ghost was very clearly an opinion

I know that wink.gif that's why if you read my message again you will see that I said that it was Mc Conkie's opinion about the subject. The only reason I putted it was just to add another source of discussion about the topic of this thread.

Yes, much of it is speculation, but to claim that it is fruitless is to deny the fact that occasionally when we read, discuss, or expound on "speculation" the Holy Ghost frequently reaches out and hits us between the eyes and says, "it is true."

I agree with you, I added that quote because I was surprised he defined the discussion as 'fruitless'.

He was God before the foundation of the world, yet He only had a body of spirit at that time. Later, He got a physical body.

True, I was thinking about this today. So if Jesus Christ did not need a body in order to be a God, are we saying that a body is not neccesarily needed it in order to become gods?. Because that's part of the LDS doctrine, that we need a physical body in order to become gods.

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 7th Jan, 2004 - 3:26am

Sponsored Links:
7th Jan, 2004 - 5:22am / Post ID: #

body Ghosts Holy the What

QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 6-Jan 04, 10:22 PM)
True, I was thinking about this today. So if Jesus Christ did not need a body in order to be a God, are we saying that a body is not neccesarily needed it in order to become gods?. Because that's part of the LDS doctrine, that we need a physical body in order to become gods.

That gets further into the whole Adam/God discussion.

I would say that Jesus and the Holy Ghost were so valiant as spirit beings that they progressed to a point of power far beyond the rest of us, that they couldn't fail in mortality. Then, it becomes a formality for them to gain physical bodies.

Then, of course, there is the concept of Eloheim, Jehovah, and the Holy Ghost as being "offices" that each Celestial Being must go through at one time or another. As far as I know, that is completely speculative, but does provide possible answers to your questions.

NightHawk

7th Jan, 2004 - 10:45pm / Post ID: #

What about the Holy Ghost's body? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Here is one of the quotes that lead some fundamentalist groups to the conclusion that Joseph Smith was/is the Holy Ghost.

""¦'Many men,' said he, 'will say, I will never forsake you, but will stand by you at all times', but the moment you teach them some of the mysteries of the kingdom of God that are retained in the heavens, and are prepared for them, they will be the first to stone you and put you to death. It was this same principle that crucified the Lord Jesus Christ, and will cause the people to kill the prophets in this generation. WOULD TO GOD, BRETHERN, I COULD TELL YOU WHO I AM1 Would to God I could tell you what I know! But you would call it blasphemy, and there are men upon this stand who would want to take my life." (Joseph Smith, Jr., as quoted by Heber C. Kimball, Life of Heber C. Kimball, by Orson F. Whitney, pg. 322-323.)(capitals added for emphasis)

I just cut this from a very unusual website and pasted it here. The emphasis is NOT mine.

Here is another quote, which seems to lend some credence to the above:

""¦Joseph also said that THE HOLY GHOST IS NOW IN A STATE OF PROBATION which if he should perform in righteousness he may pass through the same or a similar course of things that the Son has." ("Scriptural Items", F.D. Richards quoted in The Words of Joseph Smith, Adrew F. Ehat and Lyndon W. Cook, Grandin Book, Orem, Utah, 1991 pg. 245.)

Finally, here is a quote that seems to contradict both of the quotes above.

""¦But THE HOLY GHOST IS YET A SPIRITUAL BODY AND WAITING TO TAKE HIMSELF A BODY. as the Savior did or as god did or the gods before them took bodies"¦" (George Laub Journal quoted in The Words of Joseph Smith, Adrew F. Ehat and Lyndon W. Cook, Grandin Book, Orem, Utah, 1991, pg. 382)

I don't have any idea how to reconcile these items. However, it certainly gives me food for thought.

NightHawk

Post Date: 4th Aug, 2005 - 5:14pm / Post ID: #

What about the Holy Ghost's body?
A Friend

Page 3 body Ghosts Holy the What

I believe that Jehovah was once held the office of the Holy Ghost and the current Holy Ghost will hold the Position of Messiah after Christ receives his eternal reward, and rules his own kingdom has Elohiem rules over his.

4th Aug, 2005 - 6:46pm / Post ID: #

body Ghosts Holy the What

I believe that Jehovah was once held the office of the Holy Ghost and the current Holy Ghost will hold the Position of Messiah after Christ receives his eternal reward

Any LDS references about this?.

Post Date: 5th Aug, 2005 - 9:31pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

The only sources I can find that led me to the above mentioned belief is two things Joseph Smith said.

1. But the Holy Ghost is yet a spiritual body and waiting to take to himself a body, as the Savior did or as God did or the gods before them took bodies; for the Savior says the work that my Father did do I also... He took himself a body and then laid down his life that he might take it up again. (Joseph Smith, The words of Joseph Smith, P. 382)

2. WOrds of Franklin D Richards: Joseph also said that the Holy Ghost is now in a state of probation which if he should perform in righteousness he may pass through the same or a similar course of things that the Son has. (Joseph Smith, The Words of Joseph Smith, P. 245)

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 15th Aug, 2005 - 11:48pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

What the Holy Ghost's body - Page 3

There is a reference to Jehovah being in the office of the Holy Ghost in the Pearl of Great Price. Moses 5:9 when the Holy Ghost falls upon Adam he says "I am the only begotten of the Father from the beginning." So clearly, at this time, Jehovah was acting as the Holy Ghost. There is speculation that Adam is the Holy Ghost at this time and has not yet been resurrected. Some more fuel for the fire!

Post Date: 16th Aug, 2005 - 12:35am / Post ID: #

A Friend

What the Holy Ghost's body Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 3

Careful The Holy Ghost at times as the authority to act in the name of the Father or the Son. At this time, Elohim has given all authority to Jehovah because of the fall and Adam and Eve's expulsion from the Garden so Jehovah is acutually the God that mankind deals with. The Holy Ghost is acting as a "Representitive" to Adam.

There is speculation that Adam is the Holy Ghost at this time and has not yet been resurrected.

How can a mortal man act as the Holy Ghost (who doesn't have a physical body)when he (the man) already has a body. It fits into the same catigory of The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost sharing the same body, it does not make sense.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ...Latest (10) »

> TOPIC: What about the Holy Ghost's body?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,