What about the Holy Ghost's body? - Page 7 of 10

I'm sorry about that. I will try to - Page 7 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 10th Oct, 2008 - 12:27am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  « First of 10 pgs.  3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Post Date: 8th Oct, 2008 - 2:22am / Post ID: #

What about the Holy Ghost's body?
A Friend

What about the Holy Ghost's body? - Page 7

QUOTE (Gunner @ 9-Oct 07, 8:22 PM)
I'm reminded of a statement of Joseph Smith.  "I will go from Prophet, to king, to priest". Remind you of anything?

Would you be able to post the reference for this statement from Joseph Smith please? Thanks.

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 8th Oct, 2008 - 2:43am / Post ID: #

A Friend

body Ghosts Holy the What

This is the kind of question that winds up causing good members of the Church to search in places they shouldn't for information (I.e. unauthorized sites, anti-mormon sites). The subject in intriguing for sure, but it might serve us all better to strengthen our faith on the principles of the Gospel which HAVE been revealed, and upon which our salvations DOES depend.

Just my take. smile.gif

9th Oct, 2008 - 5:18pm / Post ID: #

What about the Holy Ghost's body? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Why do they have to end up going to anti-Mormon sites in order to seek the truth? Why would they have to visit unauthorized sites to get answers to something they have to get a question about? I don't get your point. What is an unauthorized site anyhow? Is this site an authorized site?

9th Oct, 2008 - 5:32pm / Post ID: #

Page 7 body Ghosts Holy the What

QUOTE (TheQuietMan @ 7-Oct 08, 10:43 PM)
but it might serve us all better to strengthen our faith on the principles of the Gospel which HAVE been revealed, and upon which our salvations DOES depend.

Oh no, not another It Is Not Important For My Salvation... comment, I don't know how many of these I can take at a time. rolleyes.gif

I don't understand why someone would have a need to visit an anti-mormon site to give his/her opinion on the matter. Once they have a brain, that's all they need to share their point of view.

Rather off topic, but...
Just a reminder, this is an internet forum. Not Sunday School.

Post Date: 9th Oct, 2008 - 6:29pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

body Ghosts Holy the What

QUOTE (McKay @ 9-Oct 08, 12:18 PM)
Why do they have to end up going to anti-Mormon sites in order to seek the truth? Why would they have to visit unauthorized sites to get answers to something they have to get a question about? I don't get your point. What is an unauthorized site anyhow? Is this site an authorized site?

What is the point of discussing "doctrine" that has yet to be revealed to the Church? The truth hasn't been revealed to us on this subject yet. Even if the Holy Ghost were to confirm your ideas, you'd still have no authority to disseminate your new knowledge. A person can certainly inquire of the Lord for truth and understanding regarding anything, but revelation given to that person on those matters will be for that person only, not for others.

My point was not to say that we CAN'T discuss such things, just that it is very fruitless, and can be dangerous FOR SOME who do not understand how to find and confirm truth.

That was my point: that our time would be better spent seeking understanding on those things that we have already received, the practicing and perfecting of which will prepare us to received greater knowledge in the future (speaking about the members of the Church as a body).

So, when you speak of members having to go to anti-mormon sources to get "truth" regarding matters upon which the Lord has not spoken, that is a complete contradiction. NO person has truthful, authoratative answers to those questions-members, apostates, or otherwise. Anything and everything you could possibly read would have to be considered nothing more than opinion or speculation.

So, to answer your question... No, this site is not an "authorized" site. Nothing said in any of these forums can be considered to be truth, unless it is consistent with the revealed truth we already possess (the standard works).

Is it good for us to discuss the gospel here? Of course.

But whether or not the Holy Ghost will ever receive a body is not part of the Restored Gospel. So when a person comes to this forum and sees all these responses (opinions) on the matter, he will leave unsatisfied. He will leave with more questions that when he came. He may learn some truthful things he didn't know before-things we DO know, which HAVE been revealed-but he will ultimately leave with his original question unanswered. Where else, then, can he go to get his answer? He'll roam the internet searching for something he'll never find. And he just may end up on sites that teach half-truths or just plain lies about the Church and its teachings. Then, who knows?

So, it is my opinion that while we CAN ask such questions our time would be better served discussing the current knowledge we have. Because that will truly strengthen us and bind us together.

Of course, no one here is required to agree with any of what I have said. smile.gif

Post Date: 9th Oct, 2008 - 9:17pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Nothing said in any of these forums can be considered to be truth, unless it is consistent with the revealed truth we already possess (the standard works).

I would first like to start off by noting that the standard works isn't the only form of revealed truth we have. Actually that was the great thing about the restoration is it showed God speaks, not spake.

"It is the office of a true teacher to show us that God is, not was; that He speaketh, not spake. "

--Harvard Divinity Address - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am of the opinion that God speaks to us, though do agree, that we don't have the authority to spread those 'secrets" He gives us, and actually believe that that it would upset God if we gave those pearls away.

"And I will say, as I have said before, if guilt before my God and my brethren rests upon me in the least, it is in this one thing, that I have revealed too much concerning God and his kingdom, and the designs of our Father in heaven. If my skirts are stained in the least with wrong, it is because I have been too free in telling who God is, how he lives, the nature of his providences and designs in creating the world, in bringing the human family on the earth, his designs concerning them, etc. If I had, like Paul, said --- "But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant," perhaps it would have been better for the people."

--Brigham Young, May 20, 1860, JD 8:58.

That quote shows that when we learn of sacred things we should keep them to ourselves. With that said I would like to continue on with this subject giving you some pearls I have found in my studies and perhaps a little bit of my own opinion with them.
It has been suggested, many times in this thread that the Holy Ghost could be a calling in which different persons could be called in at different times. Perhaps we could learn more about how the kingdom of God in heaven works by understanding how it works on earth, and maybe that would shed more light upon this idea of the Holy Ghost being a title for a calling.
"...that which is spiritual being in the likeness of that which is temporal; and that which is temporal in the likeness of that which is spiritual..."

--D&C 77:2

I would like to suggest that by looking at how the kingdom of God works on earth we could understand more fully how it works in heaven. Maybe we could look at callings in the church? bishop, stake president, apostle, president of the church... and many others. Look at the bishop, is his term limited? What about a stake president or an apostle? I believe the answers would be yes in every case. It is true the duration is different, but that doesn't eliminate the fact that the calling has a beginning and an end. So that leaves me with a question, being under the opinion that the Holy Ghost is a title of a calling; what is the duration of that calling? I tend to agree with Zelph when he wrote:

The Office of the Holy Ghost is like the office of Messiah, only one person is in that position, until their office is fulfilled.

Running with the above mentioned idea, heaven is organized much like that which is in earth, we could again make some comparisons. How is the our prophets influence is felt by everyone? The church is organized! The same way the ward knows the bishops mind, I.e. the home teachers can spread his mind to everyone. Well I believe, along with Elix, that the Holy Ghost has organized spirits, perhaps our righteous ancestors, that are watching over us and guiding us in this life. It makes sense in connection with what Gunner said,

Interesting notes. How long will it be till we can become gods ourselves? Joseph suggested in the King Follett discourse that it will be a long while after we enter into the Celestial kingdom. A sort of progression to reach levels of Exaltation.

How can one become God overnight? They must experience and know how to become as God and what better way to practice and gain that experience by watching over those assigned to them, by the person called to act as the Holy Ghost?
Who is the Holy Ghost?

"an Everlasting Covenant was made between three personages before the organization of this Earth, and relate to their dispensation of things to men on the Earth; these (three) personages, according to Abraham's record, are called God the First, the Creator; God the Second, the Redeemer; and God the Third, the Witness or Testator."

--Joseph Smith(TPJS 190)

In conjunction with the Adam God theory this quote sheds some light on who is who and which dispensation they shall emerge. Therefore, God the Third is called the Holy Ghost or the Witness or Testator. His title as Holy Ghost stems from his calling which was to commence with the advent of Adam and to continue till the beginning of the 7th dispensation, at which time he would make his mortal appearance on Earth (re-read the quote with this in mind.)

One may ask, well then who acts in that calling if he is tabernacled in flesh and bones? When it is remembered that there are more than one spirit personage acting in the capacity of the Holy Ghost, then the problem with the Third member of the Godhead tabernacling in the flesh in the 7th dispensation is done away with, as there are still other spirits left behind to carry on the work of the Holy Ghost.

"The Savior said when these tribulations should take place (that the keys of the Priesthood)"¦should be committed to a man who should be a Witness over the whole world: the Keys of Knowledge, Power, and Revelations should be revealed to a Witness who should hold the testimony to the world. It has always been my province to dig up hidden mysteries-new things for my hearers. Just at the time when some men think that I have no right to the Keys of the Priesthood-just at that time I have the greatest right"¦ All the testimony is that the Lord in the last days would commit the Keys of the Priesthood to a Witness over all people. Has the Gospel of the kingdom commenced in the last days? And will God take it from the man until He takes him himself? I have read it precisely as the words flowed from the lips of Jesus Christ"¦.Woe, woe be to that man or set of men who lift up their hands against God and His Witness in these last days.

--Joseph Smith(TPJS 364-365)
This is more evidence that Joseph Smith was that person called and foreordained to preside over the 7th dispensation. His calling was to bear witness of the Father and the Son and to lead worthy recipients into all "Light" and "Truth". Not only so, but he also stood as Head or Master Spirit over all the other spirits who were called to the same ministry. He did exactly what he was foreordained to do in my opinion.
I have written down other quotes, from my studies, that are evidence of this, Nighthawk has paraphrased the information of some of them early on in this tread.

I hope this isnt to much to write in a thread? I feel like my ideas have been paraphrased to keep on topic and to get to the point without have you read a bunch of my written mind.

Reconcile Message Edited...
Persephone: Please look at how we use the Quote Tags here. When you do not use these tags source material that is not your own may appear to be yours when it is not. See our Constructive Posting Policy.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
9th Oct, 2008 - 10:11pm / Post ID: #

What the Holy Ghost's body - Page 7

Members are reminded that this Thread is about the Holy Ghost's Body and not whether it is relevant to be Discussed or not. Additionally, relevance of Discussion is determined by Moderators / Bots and not Members.

There are other Threads that deal with what is Doctrine, etc.

What is official LDS Doctrine Source 5
Importance of Knowing the Doctrine Source 1
Doctrine? Source 8
Journal of Discourses Source 9
Future Changes in Church Doctrine Source 8
Don't Understand The Doctrine Source 6
Is Seer Stone In Hat True Form Of Revelation?
Source 7

As you can see there is more than enough, Please allow the Discussion to continue about the actual Topic at hand.

Post Date: 10th Oct, 2008 - 12:27am / Post ID: #

A Friend

What the Holy Ghost's body Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 7

I'm sorry about that. I will try to keep on subject in future posts.

Reconcile Edited: Orchardtiger on 10th Oct, 2008 - 12:30am

+  « First of 10 pgs.  3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 

> TOPIC: What about the Holy Ghost's body?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,