What about the Holy Ghost's body? - Page 2 of 10

I do not think any Gospel topic is by any - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 6th Jan, 2004 - 8:30pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (10) »
5th Jan, 2004 - 6:25pm / Post ID: #

What about the Holy Ghost's body? - Page 2

(Remember, you asked for it smile.gif)

It can be extremely controversial. Since I have felt "rebuked" in here for controversy, I have been trying to avoid it.

Much of this is tied up in the overall subject of "Adam/God". It isn't directly part of it, but comes from the discussion.

For one specific point, Joseph once said that if he was to proclaim who he actually was, there were brethren at the pulpit who would seek to end his life for the utter blasphemy of it all.

Also, either Joseph or Brigham (or both) said that each of the members of the Godhead would (or did) head up a dispensation on the earth.

From this, some very well read, spiritual people have concluded (and claim confirmation) that Joseph at one time held the office of Holy Ghost.

This is not doctrinal!! But there are some extremely powerful logical arguments for this and related ideas concerning the Holy Ghost.

NightHawk

Sponsored Links:
5th Jan, 2004 - 7:33pm / Post ID: #

body Ghosts Holy the What

So far, I don't have any trouble with what you have said. I do see why the Church might not publicize this opinion. If it doesn't matter regarding our salvation and might prevent people from investigating the Church they probably would rather not bring it up. That doesn't really bother me either, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't be free to consider it.

Can you provide me references for where your draw your conclusions. For example, I would like to read where someone has drawn this correlation because I would expect that they have provided some supporting evidence.

Offtopic but,
I don't think you have been rebuked so much as maybe disagreed with wink.gif

5th Jan, 2004 - 7:56pm / Post ID: #

What about the Holy Ghost's body? Studies Doctrine Mormon

There is a conversation going about this one an egroup I participate in. Basically that is where I have gotten the little bit I have. While I have some documents about it, I haven't read through them. I will try to get some of the documentation and post it here.

NightHawk

5th Jan, 2004 - 9:14pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 body Ghosts Holy the What

It can be extremely controversial. Since I have felt "rebuked" in here for controversy, I have been trying to avoid it.

laugh.gif Hmmmm... I wonder what he is referring to. So long as 'in my opinion', references to your quotes and no anti-stuff is allowed in then you are free to go full blown here. Besides, that is why I have good faithful moderators and bots now. As far as the topic goes... it is deep, but I think not the deepest, it is just one of those things we can merely spend all day speculating on and that is the purpose of the thread so have fun Nighthawk. wink.gif

5th Jan, 2004 - 10:09pm / Post ID: #

body Ghosts Holy the What

Taken from:https://www.fairlds.org/apol/misc/misc14.html

Q. (from a Professor not of the LDS faith) To quote one of my students, "What's up with the Holy Ghost?" If it is one of the principles of LDS faith that embodiment is a necessary phase in exaltation to godhood, how is it that the Holy Ghost has apparently bypassed this phase?

Part of his answer was as follows:

"So the short answer to your question would be, while attaining a body is necessary for our exaltation, it doesn't necessarily follow that it be necessary to be considered divine or God." (bold added by me for emphasis)

Go to the link to read the rest of it. Some of which has already been mentioned in this thread.

Reconcile Edited: tenaheff on 5th Jan, 2004 - 10:09pm

6th Jan, 2004 - 5:36pm / Post ID: #

What about the Holy Ghost's body?

From "Mormon Doctrine', Bruce R. Mc Conkie says "The Holy Ghost is the third member of the Godhead. He is a Personage of Spirit, a Spirit Person, a Spirit Man, a Spirit Entity. He can be in only one place at one time, and he does not and cannot transform himself into any other form or image than that of the Man whom he is..." (Mormon Doctrine, p. 359).

"In this dispensation, at least, nothing has been revealed as to his origin or destiny; expressions on these matters are both speculative and fruitless". (Mormon Doctrine, p.359).

I'm kind of confused with Mc Conkie's opinion about the Holy Ghost not having a body of flesh and bones but being a Man...? anyone?

In 1 Nephi 11: 1-11, Nephi talks about having a conversation with the Holy Ghost and even describes him as a 'man'.

Vs. 11 "And I said unto him: To know the interpretation thereof--for I spake unto him as a man speaketh; for I beheld that he was in the form of a man; yet nevertheless, I knew that it was the Spirit of the Lord; and he spake unto me as a man speaketh with another.".

It seems to be is obvious that the Holy Ghost has the form of a man, but if he doesn't have a body of flesh and bones, a tangible one, and we know that to have a body is necessary for Salvation, will this mean he will need to have one in order to be saved? He came to this Earth without one but being righteous, after all, he's also a god... why he will need a body now?.

Reconcile Edited: LDS_forever on 6th Jan, 2004 - 5:52pm

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
6th Jan, 2004 - 7:18pm / Post ID: #

What the Holy Ghost's body - Page 2

Remember a couple of things. The book, Mormon Doctrine is NOT definitive of our doctrine. It was Bruce R. McConkie's educated opinion on things, and was published before he was called as an Apostle.

Second, his statement about nothing having been revealed about the origin and destiny of the Holy Ghost was very clearly an opinion. It is true that there is no scriptural revelation about this matter, but we know that Joseph Smith knew much more about the eternities than he told the people, and it is very likely that many other people know much more than the rest of us.

Yes, much of it is speculation, but to claim that it is fruitless is to deny the fact that occasionally when we read, discuss, or expound on "speculation" the Holy Ghost frequently reaches out and hits us between the eyes and says, "it is true."

As for the body, part, remember that the pre-mortal Jesus Christ appeared to the brother of Jared, as a Man. He was God before the foundation of the world, yet He only had a body of spirit at that time. Later, He got a physical body.

NightHawk

6th Jan, 2004 - 8:30pm / Post ID: #

What the Holy Ghost's body Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

I do not think any Gospel topic is by any means fruitless, quite on the contrary, I think each one gives us fruit for thought. The hard part is seperating what is in fact juice and the other just the pulp wink.gif However this topic does bring up some good points:

1. There must be different levels of 'godhood' then since although not a requirement, it does seem to be of great significance.

2. The 'office' of the Holy Ghost is not a new concept, but it makes you wonder how it is carried out and by who?

3. It also makes you wonder what the Holy Ghost can do that the Father is not designated to do? For instance why can't Heavenly Father not eminate truth? Since the Holy Ghost resides in one place but can be felt anywhere then Father could do the same, but I am to believe that it is possible that Heavenly Father really cannot do much with this world because of the 'test' and thus has to do everything through His Son and the Holy Ghost.

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (10) »

> TOPIC: What about the Holy Ghost's body?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,