Picture of Temple Ceremony

Picture Temple Ceremony - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 2nd Sep, 2005 - 3:30pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
9th Feb, 2003 - 10:57pm / Post ID: #

Of course the sacred ceremonies and ordinances of the temple are not shown outside of the temple (save for some sites). Many wonder what goes on in the temple who have not yet been, but there is actually a picture that we use regularly in Church that shows this...

Look at the picture where Moses has his hands on the head of Aaron. It is an Old Testament picture shown in most manuals, especially those dealing with that dispensation. Look at the priests surrounding the temple 'walls'. See how they are dressed? This will bring familiar memories to those already endowed and to those who are not it will just seem like another biblical picture. Pictures like these help to reinforce in my mind how closely we follow the things of God within the Church, things which may seem forgotten by the world because it does not fit their expectations or because of apostasy. A good reading of the Old Testament, and the Pearl of Great Price will give anyone going to the Temple for the first time or or hundredth time.

Other simple things that speak familiar impressions in my mind are...
1. The formations of mountains
2. The way animals react in aggression to one another.
3. The stars and many galaxies      
4. Pedigree charts
5, Facsimile located in Abraham

Later in this Thread I will also share pictures found right on the BYU website!

Where do you see strong evidence or signs of the temple from simple sources?

Sponsored Links:
11th Feb, 2003 - 11:29am / Post ID: #

Ceremony Temple Picture

When I joined the Church 16 years ago, I could not comprehend the facsmiles of Abraham in my scriptures until I went to the Temple and some of them were revealed although some still being not'reaveled' the meaning but after the coming of Christ.

3rd Mar, 2005 - 6:50pm / Post ID: #

Picture of Temple Ceremony Studies Doctrine Mormon

If you ever get a hold of a talk tape called the 'Dead Sea Scrolls' (can't remember the author, but he is LDS) then you will be amazed of how many familiarities there are in temple related ordinances from the pre-New Testament era.

1st Sep, 2005 - 7:20pm / Post ID: #

Ceremony Temple Picture

Look at the below links and see if you see anything familiar. Also notice that it seems that dawing or using symbols from the temple did not see to be a 'bad' thing in those days:

Temple clothing
https://cfac.byu.edu/valbrinkerhoff/12josep.../source/10.html

Temple / Masonic Symbol
https://cfac.byu.edu/valbrinkerhoff/12josep.../source/21.html
https://cfac.byu.edu/valbrinkerhoff/12josep.../source/22.html
https://cfac.byu.edu/valbrinkerhoff/12josep.../source/23.html

1st Sep, 2005 - 7:58pm / Post ID: #

Ceremony Temple Picture

The picture of Joseph doesn't really show anything that can't be shown.

We don't display things because of their sacredness, but what is seen in the picture of "Joseph" is no more than you would see in an open casket wake/funeral of an endowed member. You only see the upper half, which shows in an open casket as well.

I think it is more the actual ceremony that is sacred and not to be repeated than the clothing. We don't show all of it because it is sacred, and the garment especially with the symbols. This is why an endowed member must dress deceased.

As far as the other symbols, those are masonic symbols so showing them is not a problem. Yes, there are similarities. I believe there is a thread here discussing why that is so.

Reconcile Edited: funbikerchick on 1st Sep, 2005 - 7:59pm

1st Sep, 2005 - 8:29pm / Post ID: #

My point of emphasis here is that you will not see such drawings by modern painters, artists or even on Temples, you will also not see any resemblance to Masonic symbols so openly shown. I am aware of the other threads speaking about these topics.

Adding to this... look at his pic:
https://cfac.byu.edu/valbrinkerhoff/12josep...source/180.html

Why is the five pointed star facing down?

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
2nd Sep, 2005 - 10:53am / Post ID: #

Picture Temple Ceremony

I think the reason you don't see the drawings by modern painters is that we tend to go too far in one direction. It seems to be a human trait. So, we have been taught for many years not to discuss or display sacred things. We take this to the point of not discussing or displaying anything. This way, we ensure that we don't inadvertantly discuss or display something we shouldn't. Over time, we end up in a situation where people begin to believe the reason no one displays or discusses such things is because it isn't allowed at all rather than because someone was concerned that they personally might reveal too much.

Then, sadly, those in charge begin to enforce it as a requirement because they don't take the time to investigate the subject themselves fully.

Offtopic but,
I know you are aware of the other links. I was stating that for others who might not be aware so that this thread wouldn't turn into a discussion of why these symbols are similar. wink.gif

2nd Sep, 2005 - 3:30pm / Post ID: #

Picture Temple Ceremony Mormon Doctrine Studies

We take this to the point of not discussing or displaying anything. This way, we ensure that we don't inadvertantly discuss or display something we shouldn't

I think those who do that (not discuss or display anything at all) do not know really know what they should or they should not do and because of fear they end up missing lots of things. Fear and faith cannot abide in the same individual.

The painting of Joseph Smith clearly shows there was nothing wrong to display his temple clothing and I am sure many members loved the painting. The point is: what would happen if I make a painting of Pres. Hinckley wearing his temple clothing? Would I get rebuked for that?. I bet I will!. I guess within the years the Church members have decreased their level of faith, to the point of missing themselves great opportunities for growth.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: Picture of Temple Ceremony

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,