Exact time of His coming - Page 2 of 8

Nighthawk your time line is pretty short, - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 9th Apr, 2004 - 8:01pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (8) »
31st Jan, 2003 - 2:25pm / Post ID: #

Exact time of His coming - Page 2

Everyone gives a 20 year second coming forecast never sooner

'Everyone' does? I did not know that.

At the actual second coming don't  you think he might show himself to all of the saints assembled togheter in one body? 

One body? I am not sure how that will be done, but I do know the righteous Saints will be caught up to meet him at his coming.

Why would the second coming stop you from having grandchildren?

I was implying humor because the scriptures always say, woe to those great with child in that day.

Are you not planning to be around in the millenium?

Ummm... yes? *scratches head at question* Do you plan to? smile.gif

Sponsored Links:
31st Jan, 2003 - 4:24pm / Post ID: #

coming of time Exact

I found some of the following information in Mormon Doctrine.

There are different places of the Lord's return. He has already come suddenly to his temple. (Mal. 3:1; D &C 38:8; 110). Soon he will meet with his stewards, who have held the keys of his kingdom, at Adam-ondi-Ahman. In the midst of the greatest war of all ages, when all nations are gathered together at Jerusalem, "Then shall the Lord go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle. And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives.
Following this, apparently, he will make many succesive appearances  in all parts of the earth

Regards to when Christ will come here is what I found:

"True it is that the day and hour of our Lord's coming are and will remain unknown such being an incentive to all to watch and be ready at all times. But true it also is that those who watch for that great and dread day are expected to read the signs of the times so as to know the approximate time of his coming President Wilford Woodruff taught that we do know the generation when he will come.(Discourses of Wilford Woodruff, p. 253).
"I was once praying very earnestly to know the time of the coming of the Son of Man," the Prophet Joseph Smith recorded on April 2, 1843, 'when I heard a voice repeat the following: Joseph, my son if thou livest until thou art eighty-five years old, thou shalt see the face of the Son of Man; therefore let this suffice, and trouble me no more on this matter.
"I was left thus, without being able to decide whether this coming referred to the beginning of the millennium or to some previous appearing, or whether I should die and thus see his face. I believe the coming of the Son of Man will not be any sooner than that time." ( D & C 130: 14-17.)
Four days letters, April 6, 1843, at the General Conference of the Church while the Spirit rested upon him, the Prophet said "Were I going to prophesy, I would say the end would not come in 1844, 5, or 6, or in forty years.[i] There are those of the rising generation who shall not taste death till Christ comes."

The rising generation us the one that has just begun. Thus, technically, children born on April 6, 1843 would be the first members of the rising generation. It is not unreasonable to suppose that many young men had babies at the time of this prophecy and also had other children as much as 50 or 75 years later assuming for instance that they were married again to younger women. This very probable assumption would bring the date up to, say, the 2nd decade in the 20th century and the children so born would be members of that same rising generation of which the Prophet spoke Now if these children lived to the normal age of men generally, they would be alive well past the year 2000 A.D.
This reasoning takes on added significance when considered in connection with the revelation which states categorically that Christ will come "in the begining of the seventh thousands" of the earth's temporal continuance. (D & C. 77:6, 12.)

Post Date: 1st Apr, 2004 - 9:48pm / Post ID: #

Exact time of His coming
A Friend

Exact time of His coming Studies Doctrine Mormon

This very probable assumption would bring the date up to, say, the 2nd decade in the 20th century and the children so born would be members of that same rising generation of which the Prophet spoke Now if these children lived to the normal age of men generally, they would be alive well past the year 2000 A.D.

So, if I understand this correctly, the latest anyone could be born in the generation that was the rising generation in 1843 would be about 1920. Suppose a few of them live to be 100 or even a few years older. That would put the second coming around 2025-2030. That is my guess. I'll be 72 in 2030 so I might still be around.

1st Apr, 2004 - 10:43pm / Post ID: #

Page 2 coming of time Exact

I don't believe that we can go by what Joseph said in a literal sense to determine when the second coming will be. I believe the are biblical references in the new testament that seem to indicate that it was going to be in the lives of the original 12 apostles as well. Obviously, we are missing something important in what is being said and in how it is worded.

For example, "the rising generation" doesn't necessarily mean what has been interpreted so far. It could be referring to a generation not even yet born, in my opinion. I have heard that LDS members and born again christians have long predicted the second coming in the very near future. We are still waiting. I think the only thing really clear from scripture is that we won't know in advance. It will be a surprise. So...we need to be ready always.

Post Date: 2nd Apr, 2004 - 8:02pm / Post ID: #

Exact time of His coming
A Friend

coming of time Exact

The word generation can mean different things so it is difficult to make an educated guess based on Joseph's statement. But as someone pointed out earlier, the faithful will recognize the signs and even though they will not know the exact moment of his coming, they will know when it will be any time now. We aren't there yet.

From what I have read, there are at least three future known appearances of Christ, the third being his coming in glory. The first is his appearnace at Adam Ondi Ahman, the second is his appearance in Jerusalem when he will show himself to the Jews who are at war and they will ask him about his wounds. At this point, many of the Jews will recognize him as their Saviour. But this is not his coming in Glory. A generation later, ( there's that word again ) he will appear and there will be again, a major war, maybe the same one as before but the children and grandchildren of those fighting when he last appeared will be fighting this war. So that would seem to indicate at least 20-30 years later. This will be his coming in glory and will be witnessed by all the inhabitants of the Earth.

This was described in the book, "Prophecy, Key to the Future" and is based on statements from early church leaders, as well as bible prophecy.

Post Date: 8th Apr, 2004 - 3:27am / Post ID: #

Exact time of His coming
A Friend

Exact time of His coming

I have NO idea when exactly the Lord Jesus Christ will return again in His Second Coming to mankind other than that it will be this century, most possibly the first part of this century.

However, there is SO MUCH we need to do before He comes in His Universal Appearance that we cannot allow ourselves to procrastinate until that day. Splits will take place in the Church before then, renewed persecution on the Church, the establishment of the New Jeursalem, the gathering in of the ten lost tribes and of other people, even of every nation, people, and tongue. A preparatory work will need to take place before His final appearance. That preparatory work, I believe, is already in the process of starting. I feel an urgency that great things might be about to happen, and that the world will have changed dramatically within the next five years and even before this year has ended.

But, as always, only time will tell...

erdoch

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
9th Apr, 2004 - 5:03pm / Post ID: #

Exact time of coming - Page 2

Personally, I look more at and for specific signs. The general signs, such as the rise in warfare, the horrible descent into national immorality, and such things as increases of earthquakes and other natural disasters are noticed by almost everyone.

Some specific signs that I look for are a huge split in the Church, wherein most of the members apostatize somehow. There is a lot of speculation about what this is and how it happens, including such things as a return to the concept of plural marriage, some kind of disaster that wipes out most of the General Authorities, etc.

I am watching for these and other signs, as they indicate that the glorious return of the Lord is at hand (within about 3 1/2 to 7 years).

I do expect to see something like this to happen either this year, or in 4 years - having to do with the general election in the US, as there are specific signs that I believe will occur.

I also watch the economy, the Relief Mine, and general occurences in world events, especially what is happening in Israel.

9th Apr, 2004 - 8:01pm / Post ID: #

Exact time of coming Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

Nighthawk your time line is pretty short, if we use it we should all be quaking now... To focus on the 'Great Divide' I have started this thread

+  1 2 3 4 5 6  ...Latest (8) »

> TOPIC: Exact time of His coming

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,