Angels Mating with Humans? - Page 2 of 5

I was introduced to the book of Enoch through - Page 2 - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 11th Dec, 2006 - 4:54am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 4 5 
8th Nov, 2002 - 11:40pm / Post ID: #

Angels Mating with Humans? - Page 2

The closest we can get to understanding I would say is the institute manuals and related literature of the Prophets. My original post contained that. It is better to go on those manuals rather than speckulation.

Sponsored Links:
9th Nov, 2002 - 12:04am / Post ID: #

Humans Mating Angels

Hey JB speculation is fun sometimes smile.gif. I know what you mean Brian, this subject have me crazy, I would really like to know what the First Presidency has to say about it....

Post Date: 9th Nov, 2002 - 10:05pm / Post ID: #

Angels Mating with Humans?
A Friend

Angels Mating with Humans? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Joseph Fielding Smith said something about it in one of his works "Answers to Gospel Questions" most of these were not answers given when he was a prophet but as an apostle.  His opinion of it was that the Son's of God refered to the Priesthood holders of that day.  

10th Nov, 2002 - 1:24am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Humans Mating Angels

Oh okay thanks for the answer

Post Date: 29th Jan, 2003 - 4:04pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Humans Mating Angels

It just means that men married outside of the faith.  
About giants are they talking literal giants or political giants like kings and men of power?  Take into consideration that even today there are born giants to people of normal stature.

Post Date: 23rd Mar, 2005 - 2:50pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

I've heard it explained that they don't literally mean Giants but Mighty men of war. So when you hear of Giants in Moses 7:15, it simply means mighty men of war. I personally think that Goliath was one of these mighty men of war.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 20th Jul, 2005 - 4:56am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Angels Mating Humans - Page 2

I love this! Great topic Lds_forever! I had been stuck on these verses for the past week and I found a few things that kind of clear a couple things up. First, the Hebrew word here for giants is nephilim which apparently derives from the verb naphal, "fall". This could lead to the translation closer to "fallen ones". In Answers to Gospel Questions (the quote that Brian eluded to) Joseph Fielding Smith said: "The fact was, as we see it revealed, that the daughters who had been born, evidently under the covenant, and were the daughters of the sons of God, that is to say of those who held the priesthood, were transgressing the commandment of the Lord and were marrying out of the church. Thus they were cutting themselves off from the blessings of the priesthood contrary to the teachings of Noah and the will of God." So "fallen ones" should refer then to those who fell out of the church.
Ellis T. Rasmussen, who wrote "A Latter-Day Saint Commentary on the Old Testament" notes that "rather than persons of gigantic stature; the Greek Septuagint rendered the Hebrew word as gigantes for reasons unknown".
Seeing as these verses and verse 5 give the reason for the flood, it would make sense that Moses would write about the dangers of taking lightly the marriage ordinance. Hope that helps!

Post Date: 11th Dec, 2006 - 4:54am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Angels Mating Humans Mormon Doctrine Studies - Page 2

I was introduced to the book of Enoch through "Teachings of the Pearl of Great Price" by Hugh Nibley. I followed up by ordering his paper "which was read at a gathering of ministers and priest (a regional meeting of the Society for Biblical Literature in 1974) This thesis is printed and can be ordered from FARMS. The title is THE Book OF Enoch as a Theodicy. In it he makes many fine points. Also I have printed from BYU.EDU FARMS Hugh Nibley "Enoch the Prophet." Which is directed more to the LDS membership. So I would sagest for those who want a deeper understanding on the book of Genesis and the fallen angels a though study of these works would be of great help.

+  1 2 3 4 5 

> TOPIC: Angels Mating with Humans?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,