The Threat Of Terrorist Attacks - Page 2 of 3

I am glad that things like this are put into - Page 2 - Culture, Family, Travel, Consumer Reviews - Posted: 23rd May, 2005 - 5:52pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 3 
Does it impact your travels? Is security
Post Date: 27th Jul, 2004 - 11:21pm / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

The Threat Of Terrorist Attacks - Page 2

Original Date: 8 July, 2004

Secretary of Homeland Security Tom Ridge held a press conference today to say that there is "credible" information that al-Qaeda is planning a "large scale" attack against the U.S. and intends to disrupt the "democratic process" before November's election. Disturbing, frightening, but hardly surprising news. These threats are constant. And yet we go about our business, largely ignorant of what is being done to protect us and thwart terror.

Yesterday, for instance, I arrived very late for a flight. Ridiculously late. And in the manner of the old OJ Simpson/Hertz commercials, I literally raced through the airport and onto my flight. Other than taking off my shoes before breezing through security, it was not particularly different from my frequent pre-9/11 mad dashes through the airport.

If there was ramped up, post-9/11 security protecting that flight, I never saw it. But that's probably the way it's supposed to work. Considering that this was a flight between Washington, DC and New York City, there was probably an air marshal on board. But I didn't notice him or her. Air marshals are the plain-clothed, armed guards on many, but not all, flights in this country. Before 9/11 there were approximately 33 air marshals working U.S. flights. Just three years later, there are thousands.
Ref. Sara Just and the Nightline Staff
Nightline Offices - ABC News Washington Bureau

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 20th Apr, 2005 - 10:53am / Post ID: #

NOTE: News [?]

Attacks Terrorist Threat The

REPORT: AIRPORT SCREENING NOT ANY BETTER

Nearly two years after internal investigators said they were able to smuggle knives, guns and fake bombs past airport screeners, investigators Tuesday said follow-up tests indicate a "lack of improvement."
Ref. https://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/04/19/airpo...ners/index.html

23rd May, 2005 - 12:55am / Post ID: #

The Threat Of Terrorist Attacks Reviews Consumer & Travel Family Culture

This I think is taking it a bit too far:

Airport X-Ray Bares All For Security

The people who protect your privacy say a new airport security X-ray machine may be a little to X-rated. The device peeks under passengers' clothes searching for hidden dangers.
Ref. https://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local_story_136173727.html

23rd May, 2005 - 3:24am / Post ID: #

Page 2 Attacks Terrorist Threat The

It's way too far, and while I understand the need for security, this is beyond necessary. The majority of people who are flying are *not* intent on terrorist activity; they are "just plain folks" traveling from one place to another.

Right now the TSA is not using the body scanners. It's trying to balance privacy issues with security issues. The agency is currently working on developing software that will just show the outline of a person's body instead of detailed images

Just the outline? Oh, please. This is just one more reason why I won't be flying anywhere anytime soon.

Roz

23rd May, 2005 - 9:33am / Post ID: #

Attacks Terrorist Threat The

Can you imagine - every perverted scruff will be sure to look for a job like this in Airport Security just to have a naked peak at everyone - a real dream come through for someone full of vice. People by design may start wearing leather underwear to counteract this - then what - they have to go back to the usual hand scanner and body search.

23rd May, 2005 - 12:06pm / Post ID: #

The Threat Of Terrorist Attacks

QUOTE ("FarSeer")
The majority of people who are flying are *not* intent on terrorist activity; they are "just plain folks" traveling from one place to another.

Well, I have to fly to New York early next month. I would rather have security people seeing my naked body through an x-ray machine than have a one of those not in the majority be successful in hijacking the plane.

I don't see this as a problem. In the 1700's it was a problem for a male doctor to see a woman naked. We no longer see that as an issue. The proper medical care is more important than modesty. I feel this is the case with airport security as well. I think it is just a matter of adjusting to the change.

My question is, if another plane is hijacked and flown into a building, then does it become o.k? Do we object to this stuff because we are so far removed from what happened on 9/11 and haven't had repeats of it? I want them to do all they can to keep me safe.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
23rd May, 2005 - 1:15pm / Post ID: #

The Threat Terrorist Attacks - Page 2

I don't see this as a problem.

Suppose a guy saw you coming through and you saw that he is looking at you and then while you are being X-rayed he says 'Wait, stand still I need to check something' - he then calls someone over and you here them say 'Hmmmm... okay you can go ahead Miss with a smile.'

...then does it become o.k

Well that was my point, there is always someone that is going to beat the system - using leather will most likely do that and then they will have to use the usual kind of search, but yes, that is a valid point for the masses - I am sure they will not care as they are ready to give up all their rights for 'safety'.

Post Date: 23rd May, 2005 - 5:52pm / Post ID: #

The Threat Of Terrorist Attacks
A Friend

The Threat Terrorist Attacks Culture Family Travel & Consumer Reviews - Page 2

I am glad that things like this are put into place. I think safety is TOP priority when traveling, and I wouldn't mind the little inconveniences that came along with it. If the guy in front of me was pulled in for a search and it turned up a hidden knife or weapon, I would be thankful. Besides, I don't think this is going to show a clear image of what's underneath. I'm sure metal objects/piercings/etc will show up, but I don't think that's such a big deal.

+  1 2 3 

> TOPIC: The Threat Of Terrorist Attacks

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,