Why No One Knew Of America?

Why Knew America - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 4th Oct, 2005 - 3:51am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

7th Dec, 2003 - 4:10pm / Post ID: #

Have you ever wondered why no one knew of the Americas before the 'discovery' of Columbus?

The Book of Mormon tells us...

2 Nephi 1:8
8 And behold, it is wisdom that this land should be kept as yet
from the knowledge of other nations; for behold, many nations
would overrun the land, that there would be no place for an
inheritance.

So if other lands knew of the Americas before the appropriate time it would have been overrun.

Sponsored Links:
7th Dec, 2003 - 5:32pm / Post ID: #

America Knew One Why

But they're also other theories that other people from other lands (Scandinavian origin) were in the Americas before the discovery of Columbus but if this is true for some reason they didn't do anything about it...hmmm...interesting, the answer is right there in the scripture you just shared....awesome...

7th Dec, 2003 - 6:26pm / Post ID: #

Why No One Knew Of America? Studies Doctrine Mormon

Well of course there are theories about certain groups visiting this land, but the Lord obviously 'covered' their eyes or desires for it so that nothing will happen before its time. Let's imagine that one of the following might have taken place:

1. It was to difficult to travel to the Americas
2. They met fierce opposition from the Indians and gave up
3. They just stayed, intermingled and never returned to be able to tell of the Americas.

7th Dec, 2003 - 7:23pm / Post ID: #

America Knew One Why

Actually, there is pretty strong evidence that Scandinavians were in North America long before Columbus. There is also some historic evidence that the Templars knew about it and may even have informed Columbus something about it.

However - No matter who knew before 1492, the clear and undisputable fact is that it was ONLY Columbus' discovery that had an effect on the flow of history. If the Scandanavians did know about it, it didn't even have an effect on their own country or culture.

So, yes, others knew. But it wasn't until Columbus, who was blessed and guided by the Lord, brought back information that European, and later global, history was changed.

NightHawk

8th Dec, 2003 - 2:42am / Post ID: #

America Knew One Why

But it wasn't until Columbus, who was blessed and guided by the Lord, brought back information that European, and later global, history was changed.

I think we may have a thread about Columbus somewhere here but it is hard for me to understand that he was guided and blessed by the Lord like the Book of Mormon says because when Columbus came to the Americas one of the first things he did was to kill all the poor indians that were living here. sad.gif I don't know I have just this 'something' about Columbus or any other conqueror that took the land of other people and killed them.

8th Dec, 2003 - 10:44am / Post ID: #

QUOTE (LDS_forever @ 7-Dec 03, 9:42 PM)
I don't know I have just this 'something' about Columbus or any other conqueror that took the land of other people and killed them.

The problem here is not what Columbus did, but what our modern Western civilization has done to take our culture and judge history by our standards.

I am not saying, and neither does the Book of Mormon, that Columbus was a prophet of God. Just that he was chosen by God to do a specific work, which he did, guided by God.

NightHawk

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
8th Dec, 2003 - 3:28pm / Post ID: #

Why One Knew America

I think we may have a thread about Columbus somewhere here but it is hard for me to understand that he was guided and blessed by the Lord like the Book of Mormon says because when Columbus came to the Americas one of the first things he did was to kill all the poor indians that were living here.

I know this won't be a popular thought, but it is possible that it was necessary for Columbus to do exactly what he did in order for the Gospel to come forth in the manner in which it did. I am not saying it was "good" for him or other Europeans to kill all the natives and take over, but it may have been a necessary occurance in order for the country to end up settled and governed in the manner in which it was so that the Gospel could come forth.

Just a thought. I know we don't like what was done when judged by today's standards, but I think Heavenly Father judges by a different standard. Remember, he knows everthing that is going to happen before it does.

Now, I am not trying to use that as an excuse to justify bad behavior, but I am just saying it is possible Columbus was guided by the hand of the Lord so to speak even though some of what he did we view by today's standards as horrible. And by any days standards it was horrible for those innocent victims of his acts.

4th Oct, 2005 - 3:51am / Post ID: #

Why One Knew America Mormon Doctrine Studies

If you go through to the official church website that there is actually an ensign edition which features Columbus' discovery. It is quite fascinating and the great thing is that if he wasn't directed by the Lord why are we teaching it to our seminary students when they study the Book of Mormon? Why would it be important enough to be included in the Book of Mormon? God's design is in his wisdom and like Joseph he went to the source of all good when he lacked wisdom. He was inspired of God to discover the Americas but through his own choice did he do those dreadful things to the American Indians...I hope this helps a little

> TOPIC: Why No One Knew Of America?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,