Partaking Sacrament - Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 23rd May, 2014 - 7:48pm

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

Partaking of the Sacrament Related Information to Partaking of the Sacrament
Post Date: 13th Sep, 2003 - 12:22pm / Post ID: #

Partaking of the Sacrament
A Friend

Partaking of the sacrament

Hi, this is the first time I have contributed to this board, in Sunday school last week, when discussing the sacrament it came to me that partaking the sacrament was similar to the sacrificing of the first born in the mosaic law, and it will be the second coming of the lord that will fulfill the commandment of the sacrament, so does that mean we will no longer have to take the sacrament after the Lord returns? perhaps this is common knowledge, but it was one of those doctrine moments for me that strengthened my testimony.

Sponsored Links:
14th Sep, 2003 - 4:36pm / Post ID: #

Sacrament the Partaking

so does that mean we will no longer have to take the sacrament after the Lord returns?

Interesting topic emerald, I was thinking the same thing the other day. I don't think we will no longer have to take the sacrament but if anybody has another opinion on the subject would be great to hear it. Also it is interesting to notice that one last sacrifice will take place in a Temple just before his coming.

Rather off topic, but...
welcome aboard! please feel free to update your profile and join the other LDS threads, it's nice to have you here smile.gif

Post Date: 6th Mar, 2008 - 3:55pm / Post ID: #

Partaking of the Sacrament Studies Doctrine Mormon

"When we partake of the sacrament worthily, we remember the sacrifice of our Lord and Savior, that He gave up His life and took upon Himself the sins of the world that we may have the blessing of immortality. We take upon ourselves the name of our Savior and promise to always remember Him and to keep His commandments--that is, to 'live by every word that proceedeth forth from the mouth of God' (D&C 84:44)."
(L. Tom Perry, "As Now We Take the Sacrament," Ensign, May 2006, 41)

Post Date: 21st Aug, 2008 - 1:04am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Sacrament the Partaking

so does that mean we will no longer have to take the sacrament after the Lord returns?

Wow, I have never seen this question asked before. The answer is YES! The sacrament is part of the lower law which must be fulfilled. One thing that eventually happens to those who have received their calling and election made sure is that they now suffer for their own sins. Consider the following scriptures:

26 Verily, verily, I say unto you, if a man marry a wife according to my word, and they are sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, according to mine appointment, and he or she shall commit any sin or transgression of the new and everlasting covenant whatever, and all manner of blasphemies, and if they commit no murder wherein they shed innocent blood, yet they shall come forth in the first resurrection, and enter into their exaltation; but they shall be destroyed in the flesh, and shall be delivered unto the buffetings of Satan unto the day of redemption, saith the Lord God. D&C. 132:26

The New and everlasting covenant begins at Baptism. Then every time we make a new covenant that is sealed by the Holy spirit of promise it becomes part of the original agreement or amended to the original covenant which is baptism. So every new covenant becomes part of the old one making it a new and everlasting covenant up to and including being sealed to your wife/husband. Because this sealing/marriage is only had in the highest of the celestial kingdoms, it is the crowning blessing of the God. If your sealing is "sealed" by the Holy Spirit of promise, you know that God accepted it and if God accepted it, then it will be done in eternity or in other words, this is one way to obtain your C&E made sure.

Once you have your C&E and soon after are brought back into the presence of Christ/the Second Comforter, if you sin against the new and everlasting covenant, meaning break any covenant you have ever made, or in other words "sin", you will still come forth in the morning of the first resurrection to your exaltation. BUT, you will 1) be destroyed in the flesh (Natural consequences of actions like drugs destroy your body...) AND 2)you will be delivered to the buffetings of Satan. The buffetings of Satan was what Christ experienced in the garden of Gethsemane when he bled from every pore, it is also what Alma suffered while out for 3 days.

This will happen with every sin except the unpardonable sin, denying the Holy Ghost which is clarified in the next verse, verse 27.
27 The blasphemy against the Holy Ghost, which shall not be forgiven in the world nor out of the world, is in that ye commit murder wherein ye shed innocent blood, and assent unto my death, after ye have received my new and everlasting covenant, saith the Lord God; and he that abideth not this law can in nowise enter into my glory, but shall be damned, saith the Lord. D&C. 132:27

Without going into significant detail,
- Shedding Innocent blood - That would be Christ who was in reality the only innocent man, however could also refer to causing the innocent to suffer for the guilty as Christ did. Particularly in hiding your own sins by pinning them on the innocent. This is re-iterated by the subsequent addition of "assenting to the death of Christ". To understand this term we have consider the dictionary definition of the word "Assent" which says something like, agree to, accept, concur, comply with, give in to, etc...
So, those who have received their calling and election made sure are placed in an interesting situation. They should, according to this scripture, not agree to, comply with, give into, or accept the death of Christ. The innocent for the guilty is not a celestial law. It is a terrestrial or preparatory law. As such, the lower law is fulfilled and removed among those who live the higher law. And in answer to your question, they do not participate in the lower law rituals including the sacrament. To do so would be to consent or in this case assent to the death of Christ. And, as Christ no longer suffers for their sins, they are destroyed in the flesh (Death) and delivered to the buffetings of Satan (Hell) rather than Christ. Yet they will be resurrected and exalted or overcome death and Hell, just as Christ did.

The lower law which no longer applies to them in the same way is given in D&C 84:26-27
And the lesser priesthood continued, which priesthood holdeth the key of the ministering of angels and the preparatory gospel;
  27 Which gospel is the gospel of repentance and of baptism, and the remission of sins, and the law of carnal commandments, which the Lord in his wrath caused to continue with the house of Aaron among the children of Israel until John, whom God raised up, being filled with the Holy Ghost from his mother's womb."

The Lord in his wrath has again caused this law to continue in the Church but has also with it restored the Higher law which provides the way out of the lower law by showing us how to fulfill the lower law such that we can return to the promise.

Rom. 13: 8, 10
  8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
      "¢  "¢  "¢
  10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
  25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.  - Gal. 3:24-25

Another reason we take the sacrament is in remembrance of Christ, among other things. Those who are brought back into his presence or are one with Christ do not need to remember him as if he were not there, because he is in them, and they are in him. How could they not remember him. It would be like, don't forget about yourself...

In saying this, I have met some who have their C&E who still take the sacrament as they have not yet been told to stop, usually because they have not asked or even considered asking.

just my .002 cents ;-) Oh, and my entire post is written based on "the Lord's return" being a personal return which happens to many individuals prior to the second coming.

Reconcile Edited: Amonhi on 21st Aug, 2008 - 1:28am

Post Date: 21st Aug, 2008 - 8:57pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Sacrament the Partaking

Wow. I had never thought about this before, but it totally makes sense.
But what are the deacons, teachers, and priests going to do during Sacrament Meeting now? wink.gif

22nd Aug, 2008 - 5:49pm / Post ID: #

I think sacrament has many uses for us even dealing with repentance of sin. Sacrament also represents community. And when Paul is talking about taking the sacrament unworthily he is referring it in the context of community about what is our position with ourselves and with others in the body of Christ.

Do we need to take sacrament after the second coming? I do not know. Sacrament is a ordinance or in other words a outward expression or manifestation of experiencing God. It is a way that I experience Christ like no other. Others in the BOM and new testament experienced sacrament in the presence of Christ, so why would I loose that privilege when he returns?

Wow, I have never seen this question asked before. The answer is YES! The sacrament is part of the lower law which must be fulfilled. One thing that eventually happens to those who have received their calling and election made sure is that they now suffer for their own sins.

I am not sure I follow you on this. I see that the atonement of Christ full filled all of the "lower law"? I do not see the sacrament as a lower law. It is not mosaic but rather an obedience that allows us to expereince Christ's full fulfillment of the law. I am not too sure what you mean by C&E means that I must suffer my own sins? If that is the case why would I want my C&E? Does not the BOM call Christ atonement infinite meaning no end? Is not his atonement eternal? It seems that if Christ dies to for my sins only to get me to a place where I have to pay for my sins again is counter intuitive to me. That seems to not fit into the plan of salvation. I do not think I would have signed up for that package. As for shedding Christs blood, do we not all do that when we sin? I m not sure if I agree with you interpretation of D&C 132:26,27. I also do not see any place that says that we will suffer for our sins. D&C 19 does not say that in my opinion.

Also it is interesting to notice that one last sacrifice will take place in a Temple just before his coming.

I am not too sure I understand what Joseph meant about this last sacrifice. ( I some times wonder if he knew what he meant) wink.gif As far I understand the atonement to be, that Christ atonement is the end of all scarifies, and it is sufficient for all to return to Him. There is no need for any other sacrifice or event to happen. It is the new and everlasting covenant. Perhaps Joseph meant that the Hebrews in there lack of understanding will have sacrifices again before his return and their conversion? But as for the sacrament it is just a way for us to accept and experience what has already been done for us by Christ. Will I need an ordinance to have that expereince in the celestial kingdom? Perhaps not, but what I get from sacrament will not be done away with or disregarded in my opinion.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
Post Date: 22nd Aug, 2008 - 10:19pm / Post ID: #

A Friend

Partaking the Sacrament

Great post Isaih53, your name is perfect for the content of this thread and gives insight into your great respect and appreciation of the atonement of Christ. Very powerful.

so why would I loose that privilege when he returns?

Depending on your current focus and application of the atonement/sacrament, it is viewed as a privilege or a curse. It is easy to see how the sacrament is a blessing and a great gift of love. On the other hand the guilt of allowing the innocent to suffer for the guilty can be in opposition to the privilege making the sacrament an unpleasant necessity. Many of us have been inspired by feelings of love and sorrow for Christ in such a way that we wish we could suffer for our own actions. This is often prevalent in young children. Eventually, as we become more like Christ, we would rather loose our own spiritual life and give up all hope for eternal life than allow Christ to suffer for us.

For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it." - Matt. 16:25

When our love for Christ, God and others has grown to a point that we refuse to harm others even in protecting ourselves, then we have fulfilled the law in us. Then we understand and publish peace.
Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law. - Rom. 13:10

It is interesting to consider that Christ fulfilled the law, for himself and gave us the perfect example to follow. We also, just as Christ, come not to destroy the law, but to fulfill the law. Just as Christ could not love for us, thereby fulfilling the law for us, we too cannot save others, only ourselves. Christ did not make us "one" with God, (At-one-ment), only we can do that. But, he has finished his preparations as D&C 19:18-19. He did show us how and provide us with everything we need to become one with God. But he can't do it for us. He can't fulfill the law for us.

If we understand the atonement and it is fulfilled in our lives, then we stop following the law of Moses. Joseph smith explained, "if it has a beginning, it must have an end". The Sacrament began to be instituted just before Christ left and will be ended when he has returned.

Remember how the Gospel of Jesus Christ is focused on salvation and not exaltation? Here is what Paul said regarding those who go on to Perfection/exaltation/Calling and election made sure:

1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
  2 Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
  3 And this will we do, if God permit.
  4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
  5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
  6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God fresh, and put him to an open shame.
Heb. 1:1-6

After those have come to knowledge from personal experience fall away, they cannot come back through repentance and the atonement of Christ because in so doing, they would be "crucifying to themselves the Son of God fresh". Or in other words, they would be again assenting to the death of Christ.

I see that the atonement of Christ full filled all of the "lower law"? - Isaih53

Christ fulfilled the law in himself, but, we must fulfill the law in ourselves too, and there is more that "shall be fulfilled".

5 Behold, I am he that gave the law, and I am he who covenanted with my people Israel; therefore, the law in me is fulfilled, for I have come to fulfil the law; therefore it hath an end.
  6 Behold, I do not destroy the prophets, for as many as have not been fulfilled in me, verily I say unto you, shall all be fulfilled.
  8 For behold, the covenant which I have made with my people is not all fulfilled; but the law which was given unto Moses hath an end in me. 3Ne. 15:4-6 & 8

I do not see the sacrament as a lower law. It is not mosaic but rather an obedience that allows us to expereince Christ's full fulfillment of the law. - Isaih53

I do not understand this part. What is "Christ's full fillment of the law" that we experience through obedience? Are you saying that obediance to the law is how we experience Christ's full fillment of the law?

Post Date: 23rd May, 2014 - 7:48pm / Post ID: #

Partaking the Sacrament Mormon Doctrine Studies

"It is said of President Wilford Woodruff that while the sacrament was being passed, his lips could be observed in silent motion as he repeated to himself over and over again, "I do remember thee.""

-- Marion G. Romney, Ensign Oct. 1976, p.3

> TOPIC: Partaking of the Sacrament

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,