Linux?

Linux - Computer Issues, Video Gaming - Posted: 31st Jan, 2005 - 7:28am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

+  1 2 
10th Dec, 2003 - 12:59pm / Post ID: #

Linux?

I am becoming more familiar with Linux, and the programs available for it. From what I can see, applications under Linux are becoming every bit as powerful and useful as those for Micro$oft. For example, OpenOffice appears to have all the functionality in a word processor that I will ever need. And, the Gimp appears to be all I will need for image manipulation. I am not deeply into any of these yet, but I am not really a "power user".

I can see how a professional graphic artist might need more than the Gimp has to offer, or a professional might need more layout capability than OpenOffice offers, but then they probably need more than M$ Word or PhotoShop offer too.

So, is anyone else into Linux (or BSD, or any other open source operating system)?

What is your experience with these?

NightHawk

Sponsored Links:
Post Date: 10th Dec, 2003 - 1:49pm / Post ID: #

Linux

The architech relies on Linux based servers for scripts, and web works as they are more secure and command / control friendly than most other internet based operating systems.

24th Jan, 2005 - 6:51pm / Post ID: #

Linux? Gaming Video & Issues Computer

Yes, 10 months ago, I finally decided to get ride of my Windows and replace it with Linux. And I must say, I haven't regarded it since. I am currently running SuSE Linux 9.2 with all the latest updates and I am very pleased with it.
The only downside of Linux currently is driver support. I use an ATI graphic card and until last week, I wasn't able to use 3D Acceleration, because there was no driver for the current Graphics server under SuSE 9.2 (which came out like almost 4 months ago), but I suspect that once the market share of Linux grows, this problem will be solved!

Basically, if you aren't a game freak, switching to Linux could be something to consider!

24th Jan, 2005 - 7:21pm / Post ID: #

Linux

I have considered switching many times, but I have heard that it is very difficult to run a lot of Windows based programs and I just do not have time for tinkering with my desktop as I have enough to do online already.

24th Jan, 2005 - 7:47pm / Post ID: #

Linux

I have friends and coworkers who have switched from Windows to Linux and live and die by Linux now. They are always talking about how much better Linux is than Windows, and while I don't disagree and won't argue that, I am much too busy at home and work to be switching and relearning an OS. The only way I can see myself doing so is if my job requires it at some point down the road.

Post Date: 25th Jan, 2005 - 3:26am / Post ID: #

Linux?
A Friend

Linux?

Linux actually runs better and stays more stable than windows. However, you would notice that you will lose the ability to double click and install. Its definentely not as easy to install and run programs until you are well versed with linux. As for games and programs, software is still made for windows primarily. But the backbone of the internet is Unix/Linux. To be honest, if it weren't for my wife, I would use Linux.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!
25th Jan, 2005 - 3:40pm / Post ID: #

Linux

Well actually, many popular distrubutions, like SuSE, Redhat, and Debian for example, have the ability to install precompiled packages so you don't have to compile everything yourself (Of course, self compiled packages usually perform better). Yes, it is harder to install stuff, since you need to be logged in as root (administrator) to install stuff, but that's one of the things that makes Linux so secure against thinks like viruses and the like.

Also, there are projects out there (Cedega for example that allow you to run a lot of windows programs and games under Linux. I can, for example, run MS Office under Linux, though I do prefer OpenOffice.org for everyday usage wink.gif

Post Date: 31st Jan, 2005 - 7:28am / Post ID: #

Linux?
A Friend

Linux Computer Issues & Video Gaming

I have two small servers set up, both running Slackware 10 Linux. For my main computer, I still use Windows XP. However, on my Windows machine, I use quite a bit of open-source and free software, including OpenOffice. It would be very easy for me to switch my main computer over to Linux, except that I do enjoy occasional gaming.

Personally, I make it an effort to use as much open-source software as possible, and to develop open-source software myself. I think all of this stuff makes the world just a little bit nicer.

+  1 2 

> TOPIC: Linux?

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,